Viofo A139 (pro) vs A229 vs A119 Duo Plus - Recommendation 2023

piccolo88

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

although there are threads about that very same question there seem to be updates in those individual dashcams why I don't have a clear view and recommendation anymore.

I do not own a dashcam yet, however I want to install one in my brand new Golf 8 which arrives in 2 weeks.

My requirements:
Since its a lease-car all the installation has to be easily removable when I return my car without any indication, that a dashcam has ever be installed.
Obviously I want a good picture, 1440p in 60frames is a must. 1080p in the back is fine.
I prefer not to have a freaking huge camera stuck in my windshield when driving a small car like a Golf 8

While some threads summarize, that the A229 is the all around best dashcam, other threads state that you have to go for A139 pro due to Starvis 2 Sensor.
So whats the better of those 2?

Is it an issue not to have display at all?
The A229 looks freakishly large and I cannot imagine having such a beast hanging in my windshield.

Then again, why not just taking the A119 duo?!
Smallest size, same front camera quality (if 1440p with 60hz)
and the rear camera is not that necessary or whether its 1080 or 1440p doesnt make a big difference after watching dozens of youtube videos.

So here I am stuck not knowing what to buy.

Money is not an issue, I just want the best package.
- The A139 Pro costs 270€ and does not have a display at all (rather a negative point) but has the Starvis 2 Sensor (also only available in 4 weeks in Europe)
- The (regular) A139 costs 220€ which is a whole 50€ cheaper, also does not have a display at all and the "old" Starvis one sensors.
- The A229 costs has an unneccessary huge display (definitely a negative point), seems the better deal than the regular A139 and costs 210€
- And the A129 Plus has the old fashioned cabelling - but its proven its quality, it is compact in size and with 155€ almost half the prize than the A139 pro...

What would you go for in my situation?

Thank you @panzerplatform

However at all reviews I've seen they say you should rather use 1440p and 60 frames instead of 4k and 30 frames.

Is there a comparison between the cameras in 2k/60 ?

Is there any advantage of the 139 pro if I want to have 60frames anyway?

Why do you want 60 fps?!

Why do you want 60 fps?!
I don't know. Thats what every (!) German reviewer says:
"60 frames is more important than 4k"

You just have twice the pictures/frames per second. Recording is more smooth and you see more details when objects/cars are moving due to higher framerate than lower framerate but higher resolution.

Wow! Speechless.
In dashcam world 60 fps is useless. In fact, it's bad for night footage.
A real 4k 30 fps resolution will always be better than a lower resolution with 60 fps.

PS: Is it actually an option to buy two (!) separate dashcams and use them seperately for back and front? I kinda worry about installing the back camera in the car and now just had the idea to buy e.g. 2x A119 and use one at the front and one at the back.

Then I would safe all of the cable-management from front to back of my car but only need 2 SD cards (which are just 12 € each)

Wow! Speechless.
In dashcam world 60 fps is useless. In fact, it's bad for night footage.
A real 4k 30 fps resolution will always be better than a lower resolution with 60 fps.
yeah, thats what you are saying. and theres houndreds of reviews that state the opposite.
To assert, that 60fps is worse than 30fps with the same resolution is just stupid - sorry to say that.

PS: Is it actually an option to buy two (!) separate dashcams and use them seperately for back and front? I kinda worry about installing the back camera in the car and now just had the idea to buy e.g. 2x A119 and use one at the front and one at the back.

Then I would safe all of the cable-management from front to back of my car but only need 2 SD cards (which are just 12 € each)
PS: the golf 8 does have a sockt in the trunk so technically it should not be an issue !?

However at all reviews I've seen they say you should rather use 1440p and 60 frames instead of 4k and 30 frames.
Do your own research, confirm & verify, use your best judgement, do what’s best for your application.

Do your own research, confirm & verify, use your best judgement, do what’s best for your application.
sure - I will do.

Then again I just hope that someone can answer my specific questions:

a) Are there any reviews/ videos of A139 pro in 1440p / 60fps
b) Is it possible to activate HDR with 1440p / 60fps
c) Is there any reason against buying to individual dashcams for using one at the front and one at the rear given the fact that theres a power-sockt in the trunk anyway

HDR is only available at 30fps in the dashcams we have at present

Separate front and rear dashcams can be a good option if you have a 12v socket in the rear
- No cable to route and hide from front to back
- Needs two microSD cards
- A regular dashcam mounted on the rear glass can be more obvious to the driver and from outside than a smaller, dedicated rear camera

There are very few occasions where 60fps is better for a dashcam. 30fps is usually the best option.

HDR is only available at 30fps in the dashcams we have at present

Separate front and rear dashcams can be a good option if you have a 12v socket in the rear
- No cable to route and hide from front to back
- Needs two microSD cards
- A regular dashcam mounted on the rear glass can be more obvious to the driver and from outside than a smaller, dedicated rear camera

There are very few occasions where 60fps is better for a dashcam. 30fps is usually the best option.
Thank you @TonyM !

Since the A139 Pro is not available for another 4 weeks my preferred option really is to buy 2 seperate Dashcams for front and rear then since I have a powersocket in the trunk.
I would go for the Vantrue E1 in the back since its quite compact and has an remote control included to safe videos since I cannot reach any buttons from the front.
My first idea was to get a second E1 for the front but the remotes may get confused if theres two identical cameras in the car so it randomly chooses one of the two dashcams.

Therefore I would need a different camera for the front.
What's your recommendation for that?

I do not want to spend more than 269€ in total because that what the A139 pro 2ch costs.

Since the E1 is 119€ + two sd cards (12€ each) I would have another 119€ left for a front camera.
I guess the Viofi A119 mini is a good dashcam for the money? Or do you have any other recommendations

Last edited:
Since the A139 Pro is not available for another 4 weeks my preferred option really is to buy 2 seperate Dashcams for front and rear then since I have a powersocket in the trunk.

Is it actually an option to buy two (!) separate dashcams and use them seperately for back and front? I kinda worry about installing the back camera in the car and now just had the idea to buy e.g. 2x A119 and use one at the front and one at the back.

I would personally not go with 2 individual dashcams.
Yes, you can of course do this but it's not convenient. You always have to remember to save the video on both cameras.
Installing the cable from the front to the back isn't that difficult. Just be sure to not put the cable in front of any airbags.

Installing the cable from the front to the back isn't that difficult. Just be sure to not put the cable in front of any airbags.
thank you Julian23, but thats already where I do not have any Idea where the airbags are and I am not willing to spend hours figuring out where all the tricky parts are.
Its a brand new car that I have to return after 12 months. Neither do I want to study mechanics for a dashcam nor do I want to damage anything while installing the cables.

Regarding convience I rather push 2 buttons once in a while than spending hours to study the car build up and risking to damage anything.

My first idea was to get a second E1 for the front but the remotes may get confused if theres two identical cameras in the car so it randomly chooses one of the two dashcams.
If the remotes are Bluetooth, you can pair them one at a time. They should not be confused or choose a camera at random.

If the remotes are Bluetooth, you can pair them one at a time. They should not be confused or choose a camera at random.
Anyone know if they're Bluetooth or how to find out?
I just saw a YouTube video where someone did exactly that and mentioned that remotes get confused and randomly use a different e1

thank you Julian23, but thats already where I do not have any Idea where the airbags are and I am not willing to spend hours figuring out where all the tricky parts are.
Its a brand new car that I have to return after 12 months. Neither do I want to study mechanics for a dashcam nor do I want to damage anything while installing the cables.

Regarding convience I rather push 2 buttons once in a while than spending hours to study the car build up and risking to damage anything.
Even if you use two individual dashcams, you still would have to "avoid" the airbag from the A-pillar.
There should be videos on YouTube about how to install a dashcam in the Golf 8. Just search for it, they will help you more than I can write.

Anyone know if they're Bluetooth or how to find out?
I just saw a YouTube video where someone did exactly that and mentioned that remotes get confused and randomly use a different e1
According to the FCC ID, the dashcam is using WIFI and BLE. The remote should use Bluetooth.

Back