Viofo A139Pro Feature Idea / Request

StormyDan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently installed my new 139Pro 3 Ch cam on a CLA with a battery inline. I'm a stormchaser and would like to be able to switch between video & time lapse modes without needing to sign into the app. How about making the feature switchable via a bluetooth button like Viofo uses to lock files?

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpg
    IMG_4838.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 14
It seems like a cool idea but I seriously doubt that @viofo would devote the resources it would take to accomplish this for such a highly specialized request. I don't see how there would be enough demand for such a feature to make it worthwhile.

If you are serious about storm chasing you'd probably be better off with a dedicated second camera.

I would just record, and then make time lapse in post production, i did that for my 9 part drive video i made some years back, as no one is going to sit and watch 9 X 1 hour of video of some idiot driving on Danish roads.
So i speed up every 1 hour segment to just last 10 - 15 minutes.

One of the things that steered me towards @viofo was that they supposedly have great tech support. Frankly I don't think it would be much of a coding task, they already have a bluetooth button linked into the cam's software. @VIOFO-Support, how about it folks? :cool:

Well its 8 in the morning in China ( Shanghai ) but they will probably be around soon.
A modder could probably make the camera record time lapse all the time, i know one just helped another guy lowering bitrate substantial so he was able to store much more footage on his memory card.
If a modder could swap the BT button to do other things, well i have never heard about it, but you never know.

One of the things that steered me towards @viofo was that they supposedly have great tech support. Frankly I don't think it would be much of a coding task, they already have a bluetooth button linked into the cam's software. @VIOFO-Support, how about it folks? :cool:
We have reported your desire to our engineer and it does difficult to achieve it and there is not enough demand for such a feature, hope you will understand.

Well its 8 in the morning in China ( Shanghai ) but they will probably be around soon.
A modder could probably make the camera record time lapse all the time, i know one just helped another guy lowering bitrate substantial so he was able to store much more footage on his memory card.
If a modder could swap the BT button to do other things, well i have never heard about it, but you never know.
I don't want to - or need to record in Timelapse all the time. For me, Timelapse is not about saving memory space its more about speeding up time, time compression so to speak. So then... any Viofo dashcam firmware Modders out there?

I understand.
Like i said i think it will be hard to do "instant" swapping from regular to time lapse on the remote button or for that matter any other button on the camera ( some of which have 2 functions to them, short press / long press )
But never underestimate a good modder, just i dont think it is something they have dabbled much with VS image quality improvements they mainly work in.

The guy that helped me whipping up a special firmware for a experimental dashcam was falsificator on here, BCHobbyist ( Canadian guy ) i also think play around in firmwares.
Often i tend to think things are more simple then they actually are, for instance image sensors in dashcams, well image sensors speak a few standard languages, and so i thought, well then you could put in any sensor, but that is apparently not the case.

I would just record regular, and then in post production speed up the parts you need to speed up, by changing back and forth on the camera, well you risk forgetting what mode you are in right now, or just all together forget it.
At least from watching storm ( tornado ) chasers it often seem they forget to turn on a camera / use a camera ASO

I like to chase weather too, but in Denmark that generally mean thunder, severe snow are pretty much a no go here, with like 1 foot of snow in the last decade where i live, tornadoes we dont have ( yet ) but a dust devil have been seen that have thrown around some garden furniture and trampolines, and at worst ruined a roof or two.
Storms as in plenty of wind, well we do get those now and then, and we have tried driving around in a forest with trees dropping around us, really not smart, even if with two 4x4 cars hooked up inline pulling a big tree a few 100 M down the road from where it fell, are pretty fun ( imaging what the clean up people will think about a randon tree lying in a place where it did not fall )

Well fun at least if you are stoned, and we was potheads back then.

Can you share some storms you caught,?
Which time-lapse mode do you prefer, 1fps?

Back