Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

I will do
Will be interesting to see how well it handles hot days. Maybe someone who lives in a hotter country can test and report this.
Footage so far seems good
Though summer is late in arriving I'll give it a real-world heat test ;)

Another round of measured heat testing will come, but as that risks destroying things I want to complete all other testing first.

Phil

I think I may need a CPL for the rear
Is there a CPL option for the rear camera? Same as the A139 rear camera, the housing does not appear to have any lugs for securing a CPL.

Is there a CPL option for the rear camera? Same as the A139 rear camera, the housing does not appear to have any lugs for securing a CPL.

You may be right - if it cannot take one by design, the older style ones and a tab of blu-tak may be a solution.

I've just tried a Samsung EVO 128Gb to see if the card was affecting the stutter/judder. Seems to be no different. Once the HD version has rendered, look at around the 1 minute 30 mark as the cars go through the lights from right to left to see it judder at it's most obvious. Bit rate now set to HIGH (was on maximum).

It's usually a few weeks, even months down the line before the retailers get stock. That cover letter allows Viofo options to go forwards with specs and resolutions if they choose to.

Any idea on when it will be released? Just got a new car and I was looking for a new dashcam to buy. I might wait until it will be released.

Btw.. It appears that there will be various models according to FCC https://fccid.io/2AMBW-A229/Letter/model-different-leter-5798506
Although Paul is correct, the A229 production has been delayed a little due to Covid while development has continued, so you can expect it sooner rather than later. You will probably be able to place an order for one on Viofo's website very soon, and then it will be a few weeks for delivery, depending on what problems people find. Shouldn't be many problems though, I've been using mine for a while. Expect it to cost a bit more than an A129, it is a better quality product.

That cover letter allows Viofo options to go forwards with specs and resolutions if they choose to.
I imagine it costs to get the registration, so including all the possible future names now probably saves cost in the long run. I'm sure there will be more models, this is probably going to be the basic A229, but that list will not all appear this year!

I did a drive a little while ago, funny thing though, one of my rear 3 minute files was substantially bigger than any other rear i have seen, the norm is 600 - 700 MB in size, but this partikular sucker ( funny enough too ) filming a undercover police car driving behind me was 1100 MB in size.

1100mb.jpg

Night time examples - city centre and on the way back.

I have just been out getting some night / town footage in too, but i will not look at that before tomorrow.
The rear camera look different, make me feel like it is not the same sensors both ends ?

The rear camera look different, make me feel like it is not the same sensors both ends ?
There is a significant difference in the lenses, the front lens is very good, the rear lens is much smaller and good for its size, but definitely not as good as the front.
Then there is a difference in bitrates.
And I think there is a CPL on the front, not on the rear.
Then there is an exposure difference due to the parcel shelf and its reflection.
And the reflections in the rear window are reducing the contrast.

I believe they are the same sensor.

Yeah, not sure why exactly. It's the same on daylight footage. Maybe the angle of the lens and the glass?

There is a significant difference in the lenses, the front lens is very good, the rear lens is much smaller and good for its size, but definitely not as good as the front.
Then there is a difference in bitrates.
And I think there is a CPL on the front, not on the rear.
Then there is an exposure difference due to the parcel shelf and its reflection.
And the reflections in the rear window are reducing the contrast.

I believe they are the same sensor.
Looking for video/picture comparisons of the rear cam between the A229 and A139 2CH. Just how much of a noticeable difference or improvement is there on this unit over the A139 rear cam?
I don't care about the front cam since it's using the same sensor and probably wont not have much of a noticeable difference.

This isn't addressed at you per say, anyone that is able to compare can do so.
I only replied to you since you mentioned some improvements over the standard 1080P sensor and some drawbacks compared to the front 2K sensor.

Specifications (as Published by Viofo):

y4m-7D45cDKJuBMQu_IpBFvN4qs_iT3EhaPNHyL9WGozvp9WT1sPkZR6bRJ0akh9WPQUCkdTA5e7oeXeImDO00u6cy7Wf0e2MdeSs6bEbaK5USLH0QkNc3M9eZ6rFGVYOqxZdQck8wRkPrSAhgNADgaLBZk2ZRwqL_yU0LPx-egBXc
What Novatek processor?

Paul,
Is it A129 or A229 you where referring to?
Image has A129 as part of the information stamp

The A229.

The photo of my cat was from my other dashcam, the 129 as you spotted.

Paul.

Just how much of a noticeable difference or improvement is there on this unit over the A139 rear cam?
The rear camera appears to have the same body as the A139, although I haven't put them side by side to check, I currently have mine stuck to different windows and they are not demountable.

The lens is very similar, they use a smaller size lens than the front cameras, just to keep the cameras small and easy to install.

So the difference is mainly in the sensor, we have an IMX335 instead of an, is it a IMX291 or a IMX307? I think it is an IMX291 in the A139?

So it is the same difference as the front camera in the A119 V3 vs A129, or A129 vs A129 Plus.

Essentially twice the detail and a slight loss in dynamic range. This means that you can read a number plate at about 50% further distance, and if you are trying to read plates in the next lane then about a 50% reduction in motion blur when they are at their best point. You will only really notice these differences with a side by side comparison, something I've not done yet with the rear cameras...

Of course if you are only trying to read the plate of the car behind you then there is probably no need for 2K resolution, but I seem to use my rear camera more for vehicles in other lanes than I do for the vehicle behind. Often it is a vehicle going in the other direction that I am interested in because the front camera didn't catch the plate for some reason, maybe lighting conditions, or maybe I was in a car park and the other vehicle came from the side, so was not seen on the front cam but was captured leaving the scene by the rear camera.

The A229 very clearly has the better rear camera, but it is mainly a question of detail when you look at the images closely.

One other note, the A229 rear camera is sometimes a little low on bitrate, which also reduces the quality compared to the front cameras. Normally this is not an issue, especially if you have a car behind you with smooth surfaces rather than lots of trees with a vast amount of detail, but the 2K image should require twice the bitrate to actually give twice the detail, and it doesn't have twice the bitrate of the A139 rear camera, so while you will normally see twice the detail, if driving fast under trees, the quality may be reduced, and I do recommend setting maximum bitrate if you want full detail.

What Novatek processor?
I'm not sure which one has been used for production models, but most of the recent Novatek processors vary depending on the number of processing cores, and as long as you have enough cores for what you want to do, then it doesn't really matter which you have, you use the same SDK to program the firmware. There are a few other differences, such as how many external camera interfaces are included, but for the A229 we only have two cameras, so again it doesn't really matter which of the Novatek processors it uses.

At one time it was important because they were making big improvements to things like the audio inputs, but these days, as long as it is Novatek, and it hasn't run out of processing power, then I don't take any interest. Maybe when they add an AV1 codec, which is likely to need a new processing block in the processor, then I will take an interest again! But currently we are still using H264 and it still provides the best quality available.

What Novatek processor?
Novatek NA51055 which looks to be a NT9852x variant. There's reference in the firmware to a NT98528 recovery firmware (FW98528A.BIN) so potentially that one, they're ARM A9 based from the look of it.

Some quick specs here:

Saying that, the FCC teardown seems to show the NT96580BG in there:

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 10.35.29.png

Last edited:
Back