Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

Saying that, the FCC teardown seems to show the NT96580BG in there:
Many of the current processors are so similar that Viofo can just swap to a cheaper or more expensive one, depending on how much processing power they find they need during development, and if a new feature that needs lots of processing power turns out to be useful or not, or worth the extra heat output!

The A229 very clearly has the better rear camera, but it is mainly a question of detail when you look at the images closely.
A side by side comparison would surely help to see the differences. Maybe you or someone else who got the A229 and 139 can test this.
but the 2K image should require twice the bitrate to actually give twice the detail, and it doesn't have twice the bitrate of the A139 rear camera
Perhaps the tried this and the improvement wasn't worth the double bitrate. Who knows.
At least this is something that can be improved in the software if the bitrate proves to be too low.

Can anyone post the original video from the rear camera?

Perhaps the tried this and the improvement wasn't worth the double bitrate. Who knows.
At least this is something that can be improved in the software if the bitrate proves to be too low.
It is a compromise between bitrate for the front and bitrate for the rear, most people place more importance on the front, and most of the time the rear bitrate is adequate. I was just pointing out that twice the resolution doesn't always give twice the detail, although it often does, depending on the complexity of the scene and the vehicle speed.

A side by side comparison would surely help to see the differences. Maybe you or someone else who got the A229 and 139 can test this.
Yes, I'm sure they will get posted by someone soon, mine still has the wrong view.

Your wish will be granted today and I'll post the links in this thread when I get them done.

Also will have comparison with the Garmin 57 in front and the Yeecore D21 4K cam in the rear.

Phil

The rear camera appears to have the same body as the A139, although I haven't put them side by side to check, I currently have mine stuck to different windows and they are not demountable.

The lens is very similar, they use a smaller size lens than the front cameras, just to keep the cameras small and easy to install.

So the difference is mainly in the sensor, we have an IMX335 instead of an, is it a IMX291 or a IMX307? I think it is an IMX291 in the A139?

So it is the same difference as the front camera in the A119 V3 vs A129, or A129 vs A129 Plus.

Essentially twice the detail and a slight loss in dynamic range. This means that you can read a number plate at about 50% further distance, and if you are trying to read plates in the next lane then about a 50% reduction in motion blur when they are at their best point. You will only really notice these differences with a side by side comparison, something I've not done yet with the rear cameras...

Of course if you are only trying to read the plate of the car behind you then there is probably no need for 2K resolution, but I seem to use my rear camera more for vehicles in other lanes than I do for the vehicle behind. Often it is a vehicle going in the other direction that I am interested in because the front camera didn't catch the plate for some reason, maybe lighting conditions, or maybe I was in a car park and the other vehicle came from the side, so was not seen on the front cam but was captured leaving the scene by the rear camera.

The A229 very clearly has the better rear camera, but it is mainly a question of detail when you look at the images closely.

One other note, the A229 rear camera is sometimes a little low on bitrate, which also reduces the quality compared to the front cameras. Normally this is not an issue, especially if you have a car behind you with smooth surfaces rather than lots of trees with a vast amount of detail, but the 2K image should require twice the bitrate to actually give twice the detail, and it doesn't have twice the bitrate of the A139 rear camera, so while you will normally see twice the detail, if driving fast under trees, the quality may be reduced, and I do recommend setting maximum bitrate if you want full detail.
You've posted a lot of great points that could be both considered positive (sensor) and negative (bitrates relative to resolution, and comparison to the front cam which uses this same sensor).
I think only a direct video/photo comparison of the rear cam between the A139 and A229 will clear the air.

Similar to how when the T130 initially came out vs the A139, the A139 had less color saturation and more detail despite using the same exact sensor. This difference was very noticeable to many here, including me.

Similar to how when the T130 initially came out vs the A139, the A139 had less color saturation and more detail despite using the same exact sensor. This difference was very noticeable to many here, including me.
You will see a similar difference between front and back of the A229, but the difference that the 2K makes over the A139 FHD rear is much more significant, it very clearly has more detail in most situations. Of course there are situations where the A139 rear will win, maybe because of over exposure on the A229, but most of the time the A229 wins.

Rather than clog someone else's thread you can find my vids on this cam HERE

Phil

You can zoom in quite nicely too:

Not enough to get the BMW licence plate, not that you really need it from your driving position though

I'm going to set the bitrate to "normal" to see if the frame issue improves any.

I've noticed sometimes the GPS reads zero. Not sure why.

All round question.

Does the bitrate get affected in any way when hardwired or through a 12v connection?

I've not tried to look, but thought someone may know if the power source would affect the recordings?

Does the bitrate get affected in any way when hardwired or through a 12v connection?
I haven't checked, but it seems very unlikely, no reason for bitrate to be affected.

There is a possibility that parking mode bitrate could be affected, but I can't think of any reason for doing so.

My GPS stopped after a midday drive on the 12th. Hasn't shown any speed other than 000mph since.

I've informed support.

Paul.

My GPS stopped after a midday drive on the 12th. Hasn't shown any speed other than 000mph since.

I've informed support.

Paul.
Have you tried moving power to the cam instead of the mount? Mine's through the mount and seems to be doing well.

Phil

Back