Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

Any reason they went Co axial instead of the old USB on the 129
Better in many ways!

Provides 2K rear resolution
Provides better power handling = no power supply noise on the rear image, and no crashing rear cameras, some people do sometimes loose the rear image with the USB, coax is definitely more reliable.
Provides easy extension, up to twice the distance.
Easier to install the much thinner cables.

There is a cost disadvantage, but the A229 is not a cheap camera, so the coax is affordable.

But the wheels of the oncoming car do not have an LED light source. :unsure:
View attachment 60969
A229 without HDR
HDR is definitely working in the A119 V3 image, we can read the plate.
HDR is definitely not working in the A229 image, we can't read the plate.

Both cars have 8 wheels, which I think has nothing to do with the HDR. The 8 wheels is due to the same reason in both images.

I suspect it is just the effect of motion blur on very reflective fast rotating wheels.

To me, those 8 wheels don't look like motion blur but a double image ?

To me, those 8 wheels don't look like motion blur but a double image ?
That is what it looks like, but you need to take into account that the motion blur is very different at different places on the wheel, if that car is doing 60 mph, which seems reasonable for the road, then the spoke at the bottom of the wheel is traveling at 0 mph, for a very short while, before accelerating upto 60mph vertically + 60 mph horizontally when it is at the front, and then accelerating up to 120mph horizontally and stopping vertically when it reaches the top. These changes make huge differences to the amount of motion blur, it is maybe not surprising that we can only see the spokes clearly when they are not moving?

That is what it looks like, but you need to take into account that the motion blur is very different at different places on the wheel, if that car is doing 60 mph, which seems reasonable for the road, then the spoke at the bottom of the wheel is traveling at 0 mph, for a very short while, before accelerating upto 60mph vertically + 60 mph horizontally when it is at the front, and then accelerating up to 120mph horizontally and stopping vertically when it reaches the top. These changes make huge differences to the amount of motion blur, it is maybe not surprising that we can only see the spokes clearly when they are not moving?
I suppose the real question is why is it not so apparent in other cameras

I suppose the real question is why is it not so apparent in other cameras
Good question, I think it is just that we don't see many images where vehicles are traveling at 60 mph (120mph closing speed) in full darkness, and where the approaching car has clean reflective alloy wheels with distinct spokes.

So glad I found this site and forum. Been looking and Viofo and was going to order the A129 Plus Duo 2 or the A119 but then saw they launched the A229 - reading though the teething issues, looks like a decent dashcam If im not mistaken.

Answer VIOFO
The A229 does not support HDR due to the hardware limited.
Dismantling A229

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 40
Hi VIOFO, the exposure jumps, the speed has an extra zero, the stamp is big for 2K!!

Oooo shiny!!! Lol
Hi vvs, great work. Interesting to see whats in the inside of the A229.Can you please indicate where the wifi transmitter/antenna is located, an where to relocate in case someone has a wifi noise.
Thanks, Harry.

Original WiFi antenna and mic position.

Attachments

• 1658398022295.jpg
    1658398022295.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 34
Hello! This is my first post on this site. Hope to have a long association with this forum. :)

Coming to the topic now, I installed A229 yesterday. I've also been using A119 and A119S but I've never faced this problem ever.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 22.55.16.png

Screenshot.pngThese photos are captured from the video. This is with WDR On, first one with speed of about 35 kmph and second one with speed of about 5 kmph (Traffic Jam). These are unedited photos, as you can see the plates are overexposed. Is there any solution for this available yet?

Hello! This is my first post on this site. Hope to have a long association with this forum. :)

Coming to the topic now, I installed A229 yesterday. I've also been using A119 and A119S but I've never faced this problem ever.

View attachment 61238

View attachment 61239These photos are captured from the video. This is with WDR On, first one with speed of about 35 kmph and second one with speed of about 5 kmph (Traffic Jam). These are unedited photos, as you can see the plates are overexposed. Is there any solution for this available yet?

Try lowering the exposure setting.
You can also have your headlight setting checked. it seems to collect a lot at that distance.

I never use WDR, try turning it off.

Back