VIOFO A229 DUO FIRMWARE

Hi,

I downloaded latest firmware to A229 Duo and put it to root of the micro-sd card. Then I inserted card back to camera and powered on. Red light blinked rapidly for a while. Then camera said, card error, format the card. I did that on my pc (exfat, default allocation size). Card is Sandisk 128GB and it works perfecly if I copy files to or from it with my pc.

But camera does not power on any more. Only constant red light when in power cord. I tried hard reset button, but still only constant red light.

Is the camera permanently bricked, or is there any trick to try to recover it?
Repeat the update process, insert card with the firmware on root folder and power up the dashcam, see what you get. I wish you luck

Then camera said, card error, format the card. I did that on my pc (exfat, default allocation size). Card is Sandisk 128GB and it works perfecly if I copy files to or from it with my pc.
Why didn't you format the memory card in the DVR when it suggested it to you?
From personal experience: The speed of the memory card does not affect the DVR firmware.

Take any memory card up to 32GB. Format it to FAT32. Download the firmware to this memory card.
Insert the memory card into the turned off DVR. Turn on the DVR.

If the firmware is not updated, please contact support.

Why didn't you format the memory card in the DVR when it suggested it to you?
From personal experience: The speed of the memory card does not affect the DVR firmware.

Take any memory card up to 32GB. Format it to FAT32. Download the firmware to this memory card.
Insert the memory card into the turned off DVR. Turn on the DVR.

If the firmware is not updated, please contact support.
A229 Duo did not actually even offer a chance to format the card although it suggested to do it. I did not find any 32GB card, but tried with another 128GB card. Dashcam stays in "red light only" mode. If I push hard reset pin on the hole, red light turns off but when I release the pin, it comes back, but camera does not turn on. I went to my car and tried if hardwire kit manages to turn it on, but no luck.

Attention , to update the firmware, according to the Viofo description, use a card of smaller size < 32 Gb ... Any type and manufacturer :)

Finally found 32GB card and using that for firmware update did the trick. Firmware is now updated and I could format 128GB card in the dash cam. A229 Duo works now - almost. Screen does not turn on. Backlight turns on, but picture itself does not. I think the screen is simply broken. Warranty time is over as I bought this once it was released back in 2022. I can use Wifi connection and Android app to change settings etc. I don't think firmware broke the screen. It was blank already before. I haven't noticed that in the car as camera is installed behind the rear mirror.

Firmware is VIOFO_A229_V1.2_20230920

Last edited:
Finally found 32GB card and using that for firmware update that did the trick. Firmware is now updated and I could format 128GB card in the dash cam. A229 Duo works now - almost. Screen does not turn on. Backlight turns on, but picture itself does not. I think the screen is simply broken. Warranty time is over as I bought this once it was released back in 2022. I can use Wifi connection and Android app to change settings etc. I don't think firmware broke the screen. It was blank already before. I haven't noticed that in the car as camera is installed behind the rear mirror.

Firmware is VIOFO_A229_V1.2_20230920
Removing and reconnecting the ribbon cable for the LCD screen may help with the screen issue.

Back