VIOFO A229 Duo - First Look

@rcg530 I can get both (A229 duo and A129 Plus duo) at the same price. Which one would you advise ?
And how is it the 2K model is not cheaper than the 4k one ?

I can get both (A229 duo and A129 Plus duo) at the same price. Which one would you advise ?
  • A229 Duo $239.99 USD List Price
    • QHD 1440p 30fps front camera
    • QHD 1440p 30fps rear camera
    • 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Wi-Fi
  • A129 Plus Duo $179.99 USD List Price
    • QHD 1440p 30/60fps front camera
    • FHD 1080p 30fps rear camera (based on what's in the user manual)
    • 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi (no 5 GHz)
  • A129 Pro Duo $249.99 USD List Price
    • UHD 2160p 30fps front camera
    • FHD 1080p 30fps rear camera
    • 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Wi-Fi

The A229 Duo and the 4K A129 Pro Duo are similar in price with a A129 Pro Duo having the 4K UHD front camera but only a 1080p FHD rear camera.

The A129 Plus Duo has 1080p FHD rear camera and only supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connections while the A229 Duo has a QHD 1440p rear camera and it supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connections.

If you don't need a QHD rear camera and you don't absolutely need 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection support, the A129 Plus Duo may be the one for you.

I have an A129 Pro Duo installed in my wife's Kia Soul for the past couple of years and it still has crisp/clear video from front and rear cameras.

There are a few things on the A229 that are not on the A129 Pro. 2K rear instead of FHD rear, voice notification, external microphone input, coax cable to the rear camera, better power handling (reliability), better heat handling. The A129 Pro is quite cheap for what it is, but it has been around for a while now, so prices have dropped a bit, it has paid for its development, while the A229 is new.

Yes sorry, I wanted to compare the A229 Duo vs A129 Pro*, not the Plus.

Thank you for your feedback.

I tend to think it’s better (given the same price) to take the last device out because VIOFO would support it longer, no ?

The rear camera quality is not as important as the quality of the front one: Did you see a big difference btw 1440p and 4K ?

There are a few things on the A229 that are not on the A129 Pro. 2K rear instead of FHD rear, voice notification, external microphone input, coax cable to the rear camera, better power handling (reliability), better heat handling. The A129 Pro is quite cheap for what it is, but it has been around for a while now, so prices have dropped a bit, it has paid for its development, while the A229 is new.
I didn’t refresh the page before I post my comment. Thank you for your additional point of comparison.

The rear camera quality is not as important as the quality of the front one: Did you see a big difference btw 1440p and 4K ?
The QHD front image sensor in the A229 Duo will likely get better (somewhat brighter nighttime footage) compared to the A129 Pro front camera.

You both sold me, I will try the a229.

@viofo Hello, could you add the a229 into the list if your products sold on Amazon ? ( .de .fr .com)

Last edited:
I reported that my A229 Duo rear camera had become out of focus. I just received the replacement rear camera and its focus is far better than the original unit. The center of the field of view is where the original rear camera was the most out of focus.

I pulled into this parking lot with the original rear camera connected. I powered down the A229 Duo and swapped the cable to the replacement unit which is installed right next to the original unit. The car and signs on the building in the center of the field of view is where you can see the biggest improvement.

1658337554105.png

This screenshot of a freeway off-ramp shows the biggest improvement in the trees in the center/background.

1658337605044.png

Looking at parking guard footage today, from the rear camera, TBH i think mine are a bit OOF too

Right on Robert,
Wow! what a difference with the new rear cam.
-Chuck

Here's my 3-month follow-up video for the A229 Duo. I update you on how the VIOFO A229 Duo has performed over the past three months. I give you an update on the out of focus rear camera, an important firmware update, hot weather performance and compatible memory cards.

That's well presented and informative Robert - thanks for going into such detail. I'm now looking forward to the as yet unannounced cam from Viofo....

Paul.

That's well presented and informative Robert - thanks for going into such detail. I'm now looking forward to the as yet unannounced cam from Viofo....

Paul.
. I'll bite. What's coming?

That's just it, I don't know... I don't know what or when the next is due for release... But 2023 must have something coming!

Paul.

When they get around to it, this forum will be the first to let you all know.

I'd hedge my bets in it being next year before we get an inkling...

Paul.

If you have decided that the VIOFO A229 Duo dash camera is the one for you, the A229 Duo is once again available for ordering on the Amazon US website. It does have an extended delivery date of mid-October 2022. There are two additional items available for free for the first 100 orders. You can get a free front camera CPL filter and a free Bluetooth remote control button.

I was recently issued a promo code for the A229 Duo on the VIOFO website and the Amazon US website that takes off another 10% off of the A229 Duo purchase price.

Check out the details of the promo code on my blog post on my website: VIOFO A229 Duo Dash Camera – Promo Code

Back