VIOFO A229 Duo - First Look

Heat Testing - In Garage

I ran a test of how warm two A119 Mini dash cameras would get along with an A229 Duo during the hottest day of the year (so far). See the specifics of the test in my post in my A119 Mini thread.

Heat Test - Results

Wow, look at all that data. lol
Good work.

Are you allowed to tell us the change log for the A229 test firmware?
Did the clock display on the LCD get "seconds"? (before it just showed hours : minutes)

Did the clock display on the LCD get "seconds"? (before it just showed hours : minutes)
I don't know what was changed, but I've asked for a list of changes from VIOFO. The clock display on the screen does include seconds.

Hooray, that was one of my suggestions. lol

I can see two changes on the display screen. The clock display change to include the seconds portion of the time and the "Car License Number" text field has been added to the display screen. I've been placing the firmware version string in that field to help me track what version firmware was used to create the video in case I have an issue I need to track down.

1662569828509.png

Oh yeah, that was my other suggestion, (I forgot about that one). lol
So happy they brought the custom text back to the lcd display since the A119 Mini, and my A129 Plus have that.
I wasn't expecting a fix since these are just "little things" that don't affect image quality or overall operation.
But man, they are like pet peeves to me. lol
Glad they took care of it.

If you're interested in a VIOFO A229 Duo dash camera and you want to purchase it from Amazon US, there's only two left in stock. Make sure to use the $30 USD off coupon and there's still one promotion available to receive a free Bluetooth remote control.

I was recently issued a promo code for the A229 Duo on the VIOFO website and the Amazon US website that takes off another 10% off of the A229 Duo purchase price.

Check out the details of the promo code in my blog post on my website: VIOFO A229 Duo Dash Camera – Promo Code

1662762666214.png 1662762468270.png

I clicked the A229 Amazon link.
It looks like they sold out of the CPL Filters.
I think we're doing a good job as "pitchmen" lol
We deserve a raise.
What's 10% of nothing? lol
-Chuck

I was told that A229 Duo firmware V1.0_0810 did not add any new features (but we did see the screen display was changed a bit - time includes seconds, car plate number text is displayed).

Items changed/fixed:
  • Fix a failure to boot up in some conditions.
  • Update the LCD display driver.
  • Optimize the display for speed data.

Hello new guy here. I am Nick from Greece. Awesome job with testing the cameras. From where do you recommend to buy the camera? Is Viofo official site ok? Thanks in advance!

Hello new guy here. I am Nick from Greece. Awesome job with testing the cameras. From where do you recommend to buy the camera? Is Viofo official site ok? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to DCT. I've successfully purchased products directly from VIOFO using the viofo.com website. The items are shipped from China. Just be familiar with your country's import duties/taxes (if any) that may impact the final price to you.

I think Amazon is a better bet for EU destinations since it makes returns easier, if necessary, but if you order from Viofo.com then for EU deliveries I believe they normally get shipped exactly the same as through Amazon, from within the EU, so no tax issues. Both are decent sources.

I bought from Viofo.nl
Came to Finland in about a week. As it is EU area, no customs.

Thanks for the response. It seems to me like the best option for Greece also. I can't find stock in amazon.
I've never heard of any problems with this company, and people have been using them for years. (y)

I noticed that firmware V1.0_0801 for the VIOFO A229 Duo was now available from the VIOFO website.

1663568550151.png

On the main, screen you see the time display now includes seconds and the "Car License Number" (in the VIOFO app) or "License Plate Number" (in the firmware settings menu) text is displayed. I put the firmware version in the "Car License Number" field and you can see that in the left/middle of the screen.

1663567516203.png1663568163719.png

If you're interested in purchasing a VIOFO A229 Duo dash camera and you want to purchase it from Amazon US, make sure to use the $30 USD off coupon and there's still one promotion available to receive a free CPL filter.

I was issued a promo code for the A229 Duo on the VIOFO website and the Amazon US website that takes off another 10% off of the A229 Duo purchase price. My promo code is valid until 30-Oct-2022.

Check out the details of the promo code in my blog post on my website: VIOFO A229 Duo Dash Camera – Promo Code

Last edited:
If you want to make a timelapse on a roadtrip is there an option?

Or do you have to take the video footage from the SD card and edit it in a computer?

If you want to make a timelapse on a roadtrip is there an option?

Or do you have to take the video footage from the SD card and edit it in a computer?
The A229 does have a setting to enable Time-Lapse recordings during "normal mode" operations. I have not tested this mode of recording.

From the user manual:

Time-lapse Recording: Record video from frames captured at specific time intervals to conserve memory and reduce the time it takes to review video. The default is off.

The A229 does have a setting to enable Time-Lapse recordings during "normal mode" operations. I have not tested this mode of recording.

From the user manual:

Time-lapse Recording: Record video from frames captured at specific time intervals to conserve memory and reduce the time it takes to review video. The default is off.
I think this refers to time-lapse mode for parking. I was wondering for time-lapse on the road.
Thanks for the response.

Back