Viofo A229 Duo received

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Started testing and beating on this new system from the Viofo LABs.
Everything are of course still early days here, but things progress nicely
No problems capturing plates on a Danish highway ( 80 kmh speed limit ) even on a day not exactly blessed with sun.

The 1440p footage are up scaled to 4K in post to make it a bit more palatable for youtube

The 1440p footage are up scaled to 4K in post to make it a bit more palatable for youtube
Watching on a 1080 screen, Youtube still seems to have butchered it!
Manually selected 4K and it looked much better, although still not as good as original footage.

Nice job with the plates, shows us what we want to see :cool:

Nice job with the clouds too, not many dashcams do nice clouds!

Rather than clog someone else's thread I have put my videos HERE

Phil

for some strange reason mt video software ( powerdirector 17 ) will not use the files native file format / resolution, even if it have a feature to sample the raw footage and make a export "rule" with the same specs.
I think i will have to update soon, PD i know is at version 20 now, so there should be some gains made in 3 revisions.

@kamkar, I notice that in some captures (but not all) you have vignetting in the upper corners, Are you using a CPL. It is securely attached?
Is something else possibly going on?

vignette.jpg

vignette2.jpg

Last edited:
No CPL on the rear camera at that time, it is the upper part of my windscreen rear window
The camera is mounted on my trusty old magnet, but it seem to be a tad low even if the lens could do with a little more down angle.

OK, thanks for the explanation. Glad to hear it is not the camera which otherwise performs nicely!

well no more video making this weekend, cuz when i got out of bed this morning my PC monitor is dead, dont work on PC dont work connected to my laptop, cant even get into the screens menu system by pressing buttons on it.

well no more video making this weekend, cuz when i got out of bed this morning my PC monitor is dead, dont work on PC dont work connected to my laptop, cant even get into the screens menu system by pressing buttons on it.
I've had a similar problem for months my stupid vegas16 Pro keeps Crashing. I do a small edit replay it and the screen goes blank.
I'm on to my third computer and it sorta works but I have to save , close the program and then reload it.
I usually forget what step I was up to and walk away frustrated.

Has made it very difficult to create review videos.

Good luck fixing it.

first im hearing of an a229, would you be able to show pictures of the camera? would love to see

first im hearing of an a229, would you be able to show pictures of the camera? would love to see

I got a inboxing video.

I put a CPL filter on the rear camera today, even if there are no notch to guide it in place it seem to be fine, the CPL i think are from a old SG camera

I put a CPL filter on the rear camera today, even if there are no notch to guide it in place it seem to be fine, the CPL i think are from a old SG camera
Is that the old interference-fit SG CPL? That could be an option for @viofo to consider. I'll try it with my A139 rear camera.

no no i have4 not had the 2 boxes open at the same time.

Future video editing will have to be done on my CPU, i am now running on a backup GFX card ( NVIDIA 1060 3gb ) cuz it was my GFX card that was dead and not my screen, still i do en´joy my new ( older model ) 1440p screen in 32" size.
But clearly this old card are not going to run any games in that resolution, so fortunate i dont really have a game at hand to play, so just my video editing power take a slight hit ( the 12 / 24 core threadripper CPU do pretty well editing videos )

I BTW i put a new FW on the A229 duo today, it seemingly cured the wifi problem i was having, at least i was able to connect right away and do settings on my phone. :):cool:

Tried to compile a plate capture video in another way, leaned a few things, and got a whopping 6 video tracks going in my editing software, i think that is a track record.

Not quite happy with how it turned out as the zoom level on the plates are a bit big, i will figure out how to deal with that in the next attempt.

Not quite happy with how it turned out as the zoom level on the plates are a bit big,
I quite like it that size, and if watching on a phone screen I would want it bigger!

I think I prefered the old zooming in, but this shows what we need nicely, without interrupting the video, and it seems to result in better image quality.

Yes the old zoom in / zoom out do make up for a "jerky" viewing experience, factoring in the phone addicts of which there are so many, probably not a bad idea.
i think next time i will shorten the time the plate capture display to just 3 seconds, here it is 6 seconds as it is basically a freeze frame i cut into, and those are 6 seconds by default.

Back