Viofo A229 Duo received

You do not need to turn on Wifi while driving, if you do not really need it.
The DVR will heat up less and there will be no extra noise in the video.
No, I don’t. Only when I want to save a video to my phone. That’s what I did with the video above.

I’m not technical, I can’t do that.
Even a first grader can do it.
It is necessary to open the case, and rearrange the Wi-Fi dish (antenna), that's all.
You can ask a techie friend.

As temperatures finally hit OMG here, i am going to up my parking guard timer from 1 hour to 8 hours, and see how the camera like that parked in the sun.
Leaving home soon so the car should see the peak of today's temperatures.

First time i have been able to test a cameras heat tolerance, before i did not have hard wire kits, or the Danish summer have just been mediocre.

On a negative OT side note i just lost 150 EURO worth of batteries for my model train, seem like i have forgotten to maintain them properly so one of the 5 cells in the batteries have died :censored:
So no running of my train today it seem, still bringing a battery to my friends place as his chargers are not as sensitive as mine, he might be able to restore it to working order,,,,, but i am not making any bets here.

So i have been testing parking guard, in what is as hot as weather get in Denmark.

Tuesday the camera ran for all of the 8 hours i have the timer set to, and it did so parked in the sun / facing the sun, and the temperature was over 30 deg C
It was so hot that just sitting in the shade shooting my rifle and i was sweating.
Then today came ( Wednesday ) and as it was pegged to get even hotter, well my friend and i just silent agreed that today too nothing will be done, so around noon i drove home and parked my car in the back yard, again facing the sun.
This time the camera only ran for 4 - 5 hours and only stopped as i went for a short drive, though my them there was a little shade on my car from a nearby tree, mind you upon starting the car the gauge read 35 degree C
I also think the all time record for July have been beaten, that old record was 35.4 deg C, but judging by online news sites it dont look as if the all time high temperature of 36.4 deg C have been broken.

Anyway TBH i did not expect the A229 to be able to handle these temperatures, so my mind are officially blown.

Okay i have some issues to report now.
While the camera seemed to cope with the temperatures the past 2 days while parked, well the low bitrate footage are not good, there are a lot of blocking in the footage, and it seem to move around every second.
Very visible when parked in the back yard and the front camera facing the brick building, but the same also happen on the rear camera, it almost look as if the building surface are alive with the blocking moving like that.

A raw video strait from the camera / no cutting or editing other than what youtube might do.

Further more the rear camera do seem to have slipped in its focus, will undertake a drive soon to investigate this further / make footage with front & rear camera of the same thing.

A frame grab from before camera change to parking mode.

drve mode.jpg

Last edited:
While the camera seemed to cope with the temperatures the past 2 days while parked, well the low bitrate footage are not good, there are a lot of blocking in the footage, and it seem to move around every second.
Very visible when parked in the back yard and the front camera facing the brick building, but the same also happen on the rear camera, it almost look as if the building surface are alive with the blocking moving like that.
Have you watched a parking video made at normal air temperature? Is there no such effect? :unsure:

there are a lot of blocking in the footage, and it seem to move around every second.
What bitrate was the video?
A Bitrate Viewer graph might be interesting.

The idea of low bitrate is to save space, so a bit of blocking should be considered OK, as long as the plates are still readable, which I expect they would be if there were any close enough, and the 1 second move in the blocking is normal. Maybe the heat resulted in more sensor noise than normal, making the blocking more noticable, but some is normal.

It has a 4:3 image supported by IMX335 in A229 recordings. but a229 records it as 16:9

also, if the cpl filter is not seated evenly, it may cause a cpl image in the right or left corner when using the cpl, due to the use of the top of the sensor.

In addition, the angle the camera sees, records and stops is also different.

In short, you can visualize it with the image I prepared.

Attachments

• 229_2-picsay.jpg
    229_2-picsay.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
In short, you can visualize it with the image I prepared.
It would be better if the 16:9 image was from the centre of the circle ... Maybe @viofo can adjust it for the next firmware?
We would see less fisheye distortion, less vignetting, and the centre of the lens always gives the best quality image.

I have wondered why the CPL i use on my rear camera, well it is just in the top corners you see the CPL filter.

The birate for this file are 4.2 mbit, and i dont have footage from substantial colder days, but i have looked at colder days ( 10 deg C colder ) and right at the start of the parking session and it is the same.

but i have looked at colder days ( 10 deg C colder ) and right at the start of the parking session and it is the same.
This is what I wrote about.
The heat has nothing to do with it. ;)

I have wondered why the CPL i use on my rear camera, well it is just in the top corners you see the CPL filter.
Use cpl or not, in the image I added, the front and rear cameras use the top of the 4:3 frame in 16:9 recordings. For this reason, if you adjust the lens angle straight to the shooting area, you will see some sky. If you set it according to where you want to see and save from the camera screen, the camera will face down and the video bottoms will be exposed to the fisheye effect.

this may be helpful. The reason is that if the lights of some vehicles or the sun, street lights come perpendicular to the lens, a saturn ring occurs around the video frame. can prevent this at least.

My A229 started to beep today, seemingly it no longer like the kingston card i have used in it for a while, i did a in camera format and that seemed to quiet it up for now.
We will see what happen, i might have to put another memory card in it.

My A229 are of course still rocking its thing.
A few days ago i had to "slam " the brake for a limping kitten, the owner of the Porsche EV behind me apparently did not like that so moments later he flew past me doing the 80 kmh limit and was soon gone in the horizon.

I am not the kind of guy that run over little kittens, even if the Danish traffic code dont say anything about those, a dog on the other hand you are supposed to try and not run over,,,,,,, which rarely happen here as stray dogs are not a thing in Danish society, and it is rare people have their dog off leash close to a road.

Poor little thing, hope it gets home safely and nursed back to health.

The video looks wonderful though, lovely blue hues in the sky and nice detail.

Paul.

Back