Viofo A229 Duo received

If you would want to dabble in something like that, pretty much all the popular video editor programs have all kind of tutorials on youtube.

Once you get the hang of it, it is actually pretty easy

I also use freeze frame and pan / zoom features on my plate capture videos.
In power director 17 the default time a freeze frame are 10 seconds, so i do that, then on the freeze frame in the first few seconds i zoom in on the plate, hold that for a few seconds and then use the last few seconds to zoom out zoom out again, and then real time video resume.
To tell the software when to do what you use something called key frames, which put simple are something like a waypoint in navigation, so a few seconds in the freeze frame i add a key frame and tell the soft whar that by this time i want to be zoomed in and panned to so and so, i then move the cursor more seconds and add a new keyframe and tell the software the same as for the first key frame, i then move cursor to the end of the 10 second freeze frame and add the last key frame and tell the software that by this time i want the footage to be zoomed out and centered again.

So the video "navigation" for the 10 second freeze frame are like this.

0 seconds normal footage no key frame( so from 0 second to 3 second the video slowly zoom in and pan to " center " on the other car plate )
3 Seconds add key frame zoomed in and panned to "center" on the other car plate
7 seconds add key frame zoomed in and panned to " center" on the other car plate ( so from 3 to 7 seconds there are no movement in the footage )
10 seconds add key frame zoomed all the way back out and centered on the video ( so from 7 to 10 seconds the video slowly zoom back out and center again )

On the zoom you have to be careful you do not do it too much as it is after all just digital zoom, so too much and it start to get blocky.

Last edited:
If you would want to dabble in something like that, pretty much all the popular video editor programs have all kind of tutorials on youtube.

Once you get the hang of it, it is actually pretty easy

I also use freeze frame and pan / zoom features on my plate capture videos.
In power director 17 the default time a freeze frame are 10 seconds, so i do that, then on the freeze frame in the first few seconds i zoom in on the plate, hold that for a few seconds and then use the last few seconds to zoom out zoom out again, and then real time video resume.
To tell the software when to do what you use something called key frames, which put simple are something like a waypoint in navigation, so a few seconds in the freeze frame i add a key frame and tell the soft whar that by this time i want to be zoomed in and panned to so and so, i then move the cursor more seconds and add a new keyframe and tell the software the same as for the first key frame, i then move cursor to the end of the 10 second freeze frame and add the last key frame and tell the software that by this time i want the footage to be zoomed out and centered again.

So the video "navigation" for the 10 second freeze frame are like this.

0 seconds normal footage no key frame( so from 0 second to 3 second the video slowly zoom in and pan to " center " on the other car plate )
3 Seconds add key frame zoomed in and panned to "center" on the other car plate
7 seconds add key frame zoomed in and panned to " center" on the other car plate ( so from 3 to 7 seconds there are no movement in the footage )
10 seconds add key frame zoomed all the way back out and centered on the video ( so from 7 to 10 seconds the video slowly zoom back out and center again )

On the zoom you have to be careful you do not do it too much as it is after all just digital zoom, so too much and it start to get blocky.

Thank you KamKar I will look into this. Very interested

I bought a new hardwire hk4 cable and replaced the old one. It now works as it should. What has remained is as soon as I turn on the WiFi, the camera records with helicopter sound. I don't know why, maybe it's the software, I don’t know. Nevertheless, I am happy that I can travel tomorrow morning (2.5 days) to my holiday address and the camera works normally.

Here the video uploaded. After approximately 42 seconds I enabled the wifi, and you will hear the helicopter sound.
Is there any update regarding this helicopter or crackling sound? With HK4 there is crackling sound and if you turn on wi-fi, the helicopter is coming. Maybe the HK4 need some redesign?

Is there any update regarding this helicopter or crackling sound? With HK4 there is crackling sound and if you turn on wi-fi, the helicopter is coming. Maybe the HK4 need some redesign?
Please forgive my ignorant question.
Why are you recording with the Wi-Fi on?
I was under the impression Wi-Fi is only used to change settings, and download video clips, and to not to be used while the camera is recording.
-Chuck

Please forgive my ignorant question.
Why are you recording with the Wi-Fi on?
I was under the impression Wi-Fi is only used to change settings, and download video clips, and to not to be used while the camera is recording.
-Chuck
Unfortunately, there is a small clicking, crackling sound (softly) even when Wi-Fi is turned off. (With HK4 cable.) It can only be heard if there is attention and silence, it is not loud.

I found out today that now the wifi in my A229 duo test sample wont even broadcast, so testing or trying things with that is a done deal.
But that was soon a problem. TBH i think my camera might have another wifi radio in it than the production models, but it have been broadcasting just not able to connect to it.
The rest of the camera function just fine though, and it will probably be a few more months before i will remove it from my car.
It is still my primary camera in charge with parking guard duties.

The kickstarter smart camera i am in with, well it seem to be about to ship, though in stages CUZ the rear cameras are not made yet, but at least i can get under way with the front unit and its " smarts "
But me and the other supporters of that project probably have to wait until next month before we see a camera.

And maybe Viofo sent me something new to beat on or others will, it would be a lie to say my windscreen have been barren in the past decade.

well well well. :sleep: It seem things just keep adding on, the last 2 days the A229 duo have started to beep shortly into my drive, this is kinda funny CUZ i have the old WD purple card in the camera which i remember having tested before and it working just fine with the A229.
But not now it would seem a issue of some sort have popped up.
Later today i am going to retrieve the memory card and look it over / test it, CUZ it is one of my oldest 256GB cards so it might be the card, i am going to replace it with another card i know for sure work with the A229

Just like my 3 flaky ( not compatible ) memory cards that will not work in the A229, when it start to beep just pulle the power, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in, and it will work just fine again even if its a hours long drive.
But that is of course a none sustainable way of running a dashcam.

Okay so i have new dashcam experiences to share, issues i have never seen or heard about before, and from the A229 sadly, or maybe not so sad time will tell.

But ! as i wrote above the old WD purple card was giving me problems stopping recording, and so it did for 2 days, then since then it have worked just fine.
One major BUT ! Though. You see all recordings, regular and of course parking mode, well they all end up in the RO folder, but as far as i could tell every second was accounted for, and no stopping recording / beeping.

I have just run the card over with SDformatter and then after that H2Testw, and none of them had anything out of the ordinary to report.
I have another card in the camera, which i can not wait to examine tomorrow after i get home from visiting my mother, if all my recordings are still in the RO folder i am going to freak out.
And i will probably have to nominate a new camera to main system.

MInd you i did not do a reset or anything before the new card, just put it in and did a in camera format, so i kinda assume the system will be doing the same, even if i still do not understand how a " strange " memory card issue can prompt such behaviour.
Not least since i had 3 other memory cards do the same in the A 229 system, but then files did not suddenly change destination directory.

Highlighting Viofo here, CUZ this seem very strange. @viofo / @VIOFO-Support

Okay so i have new dashcam experiences to share, issues i have never seen or heard about before, and from the A229 sadly, or maybe not so sad time will tell.

But ! as i wrote above the old WD purple card was giving me problems stopping recording, and so it did for 2 days, then since then it have worked just fine.
One major BUT ! Though. You see all recordings, regular and of course parking mode, well they all end up in the RO folder, but as far as i could tell every second was accounted for, and no stopping recording / beeping.

I have just run the card over with SDformatter and then after that H2Testw, and none of them had anything out of the ordinary to report.
I have another card in the camera, which i can not wait to examine tomorrow after i get home from visiting my mother, if all my recordings are still in the RO folder i am going to freak out.
And i will probably have to nominate a new camera to main system.

MInd you i did not do a reset or anything before the new card, just put it in and did a in camera format, so i kinda assume the system will be doing the same, even if i still do not understand how a " strange " memory card issue can prompt such behaviour.
Not least since i had 3 other memory cards do the same in the A 229 system, but then files did not suddenly change destination directory.

Highlighting Viofo here, CUZ this seem very strange. @viofo / @VIOFO-Support
What card do you use? In your description, you have changed the cards for the test. Does that WD purple card bring such a problem or do other cards? Normally, the videos in parking mode will be kept in RO if you set the parking mode in Auto Event Detection. The videos of driving mode will not be kept in RO unless the G-Sensor has been triggered. Could you please open a ticket to solve this problem? We need more details to help you:

It was the old WD purple one, not the new QD101 branded ones, as i recall it have worked fine before, this card generally work in all the cameras i have tested it with in the past years.
I am using low bitrate parking guard.

No need for opening a ticket, it was a camera sent to me by Viofo to test on.

I am waiting for a UPS driver with a big parcel for me ( Compressor ) after i get that i will perform a drive to my mothers place, after that i will examine other memory card in the camera now.
It it is still strange storing all footage in RO folder i will flash firmware and then reset the camera and try again.

Okay the recordings on the new memory card are normal, but i am going to try something later.

It now frustrate the hell out of me that i did not take a few screenshots of the file structure on the WD card before i formatted and tested it.

Back