VIOFO A229 Duo vs VIOFO A139 2CH?

rgbdct

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to buy one of these two to use as my dashcam setup.

A229:
  • Newer (2022 flagship model)
  • Has screen (Not very important to me)
  • 1440p rear camera (How important is this?)
  • More expensive (By only $36 when adding the optional CPL filter)

A139:
  • Older (2021 flagship model, so still very new)
  • Screenless, so might be slightly easier to find a place for it on the windshield (Not very important to me)
  • 170 degree rear camera (Compared to 160 degree A229 Duo rear camera)
  • Can be upgraded down the line to include an interior IR camera if I want (Is this a good thing?)
  • Can record in 60fps (How important is this? Can this actually be detrimental due to limited bitrate?)

Unknown:
  • How do they compare in the heat? Which gets hotter in operation?
  • Which one has better front video quality (e.g. reading license plates under different conditions)? Is the difference negligible due to using the same sensor?
  • How do their Novatek SoCs compare? I assume the A229 has the newer SoC, but what extra benefits or features does it bring?
  • Software support: Will VIOFO support the A229 better or longer since it's newer?

So I've got the A229 in my car at the moment and the A139 installed in my wife's car. Between the two I'd lean towards the A229. Bumping up to 1440p for the rear cam does help to capture additional detail, though admittedly if something happens behind you like you get rear ended, it's gonna be very close up, lol.

I like the display to quickly change settings or doublecheck the dashcam's lens angle without needing to connect over WiFi, but that's also stuff that once you're all up and running, you're not gonna toy with all that much.

I don't know about heat tolerances and I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons for video quality. At the end of the day it's a bit of a tossup, but if you don't need the interior cam, I think I'd lean slightly towards the A229 just for the screen's convenience and the rear video quality bump.

• How do they compare in the heat? Which gets hotter in operation?
I expect them to be about the same, but I don't think anyone has tested them side by side in a parked car with all the windows closed in mid summer on a sunny day in a hot place yet.
Which one has better front video quality (e.g. reading license plates under different conditions)? Is the difference negligible due to using the same sensor?
There is not much difference due to using the same sensor. Viofo have been trying to get usable HDR on the A139, but HDR isn't working well on any dashcam, so I don't think it is worth worrying about. Don't expect HDR on the A229, I don't think it is capable of it, so that is one difference.
How do their Novatek SoCs compare? I assume the A229 has the newer SoC, but what extra benefits or features does it bring?
I think the A139 has the better SoC, to deal with the 3 channels, but in both cases the SoC does as required, I don't think there is any real difference other than the number of processing cores, it is not like one has a big improvement to the audio processing, or a better codec.

Software support: Will VIOFO support the A229 better or longer since it's newer?
That will depend on how popular they are, but I think they are both doing reasonably well, so probably no difference. If the sensor becomes outdated, thus requiring an update, I wouldn't like to guess which will be updated first, but the 2nd probably won't be far behind. I think the sensor becoming outdated is what will eventually get them updated.

Currently I'm not expecting either to be replaced/updated anytime soon, next step should be the Pro models for each, but they will be at a higher price level, and the current versions will likely continue.

My choice, if you don't want the 3rd channel, is the A229. There is really not much difference, but the A229 definitely has the better voice! I think the A229 is probably the easier to mount, although it does depend on the vehicle.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues, (A229). lol
I've been testing an A229 duo since July 23, and I'm writing the script for my YouTube review right now to be upload this Sunday, or next Sunday.
-Chuck

One thing I did not know about when making this post is the Wi-Fi Station Mode on the A139. Setting up some automation to allow me to perform a daily backup of the files on the dash cam would definitely be desirable.

Does the A229 have this feature yet? If not, I assume that it'll be something added later on. That does bring up another potential issue with the A229 right now, which is that since it's so new, the firmware might need some time to mature before it's at the same level as the A139.

Wow i did not know there are already dash cams that can can be wifi client, but this response did not help me decide. :)
from local reseller website:
a229 = NTK96663
a139 = NTK96687

I think for me, probably a139 is better choice as it already have wifi client and that seems like nice feature, other then that, i think both have the basics right - sd card issue notification, voice prompts, easily distinguishable lock button, time from gps.

Last edited:
Well, the only significant difference I see between the A129 and A229 is the better resolution on the rear-view camera from 1080p to 1440p. This increase is fairly marginal in my opinion. As a disclaimer I have the A129 model and I do not really see a compelling reason to choose the A229 over the A129 at this time.

The main feature I was hoping to see is the ability of the camera to run as a WIFI client (station mode) and not as a WIFI server but that feature is not here yet although it was announced a while ago:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-dashcam-that-supports-rtsp.39079/#post-581624. The good news is that the WIFI client seems to be already available with the A139 models.

Why is the WIFI client a big deal? Well, you have a problem if you wish to have your dashcam stream its video to your phone or your DVR when you are at home so you can see why the alarm went off or maybe you would like to see when the mailman, etc arrive in your parking lot using your dashcam. The good news is that you can do it even with the A129(WIFI server) model the bad news is that it requires you to connect your device to its WIFI server and therefore you lose internet connection. Well, when they will enable the camera to work as a WIFI client and not a server you will be able to add it to your home WIFI network extend its WIFI range using a router and keep your internet connection. I tried to run a person detection service that will show me when a package is dropped off in my yard using the video stream that comes from the A129 but unfortunately this detection service is in the cloud so I cannot access it without an internet connection. To get around the issue I found this free app on google app store that does the person detection on the Viofo video stream and records on my phone without the need for an internet connection. It is called Birds ai view. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free. However, I still wish I could keep my internet connection when I connect to my dash cam.

I am wondering if I can plug in the 2K rear cam of the A229 into my A139 (to replace the 1080p rear cam)? Can someone help me try it out to see if it works. Thanks in advance

I am wondering if I can plug in the 2K rear cam of the A229 into my A139 (to replace the 1080p rear cam)? Can someone help me try it out to see if it works. Thanks in advance
No chance of it working!

For a start the A139 cable will not plug into the A229 socket.

If a good 2K rear view is important, maybe consider adding an A119 V3 or Mini on your rear window, that will give you 2K at the rear and significantly higher bitrates/quality.

No chance of it working!

For a start the A139 cable will not plug into the A229 socket.

If a good 2K rear view is important, maybe consider adding an A119 V3 or Mini on your rear window, that will give you 2K at the rear and significantly higher bitrates/quality.
Oh I thought it's the same coax cable
Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input
I think the cable is the same, but the connectors are a size bigger and more robust on the A229.
Got to fit twice as much data through them!

I think the cable is the same, but the connectors are a size bigger and more robust on the A229.
Got to fit twice as much data through them!
You are correct.
The A229 Cable is only slightly larger in diameter. The connector however is about 2mm bigger than the ones on the A139 cable.

The A229 Cable is only slightly larger in diameter.
The newer A229 cable is also more flexible than the A139 cable, nicer to use.
I'm not sure if the A139 cable may have been upgraded to the newer cable, or if it still uses the less flexible and very slightly thinner cable?

I have tested both, though the A139 in the 3 channel flavor, and the A229 not for that long ( few months since summer )
But i would go for the A229 too.
While the A139 and it still being a wedge camera, then it do depart from the traditional design with its asymmetric shape, but it are still fairly easy to find a place for, just in my car and its particular options for install ( most of the camera on the dotted area ) then the A139 have a bigger footprint as it is winder.

The 1440p rear camera are also nice, but i personally don't value this camera that high, it have been rare in the past 8 years or so i have taken any footage from a rear camera, and when i have it have often just been B roll footage not actual events captured

You are correct.
The A229 Cable is only slightly larger in diameter. The connector however is about 2mm bigger than the ones on the A139 cable.
Thanks for your input
Yes,

A139 and A229 use different rear cables and can not be mixed, and the A119 series is designed to be one channel, you can choose other models if you want 2 channels, we do not plan to add an extra channel on A119 V3 or A119 MINI, please kindly be noted.

Back