VIOFO A229 VS VIOFO A139 PRO ?

Turbine

Reaction score
Country
Israel
What would you buy ?
Both new cameras in the market.

A139 Pro - Front is 4K Starvis2 comapred to 2k.
A229 - Rear is 2k compared to 1080P.

What would you choose ?
Price is a little bit pricier but no big deal.

Help me decide :)

If you don't care for the price, there is only one answer: A139 Pro.

I would go for the A139 pro as the front camera should be better / a lot better, and rear camera are secondary to me.

In 10 years of dashcam use i have never needed anything from a rear camera, all action are always on front camera,,,,,, and yes in those 10 years i have been rear ended 2 times, and none of them was recorded as first time the rear camera was nor working due to poor USB cable and 2 time was while i was parked and parking guard had times out as i use a timer.

I still use a timer for parking guard, but it is now 3 X longer.
And while driving, well i no longer use single camera in the rear on the end of cheap long USB cable.

Both cameras are very new, but general functions should be working fine, i have tested on A229 for a while and found no issues with it, i see no reaso why the A139 PRO should be different.

A139 Pro - Front is 4K Starvis2 comapred to 2k.
A229 - Rear is 2k compared to 1080P.
I have both in my car right now, and there is no question which one is better - The A139 Pro, the chances of reading a plate in low light and at night are considerably higher.

Starvis 2 is far better than Starvis 1.

I do like the 2K rear on the A229, but I will happily sacrifice that to get a Starvis 2 front.

Once the A229 gets updated with a Starvis 2 front sensor, then the answer will be more difficult, but for now it is an easy answer, even without thinking about 2K vs 4K.

A Starvis 2 camera (in any resolution) is superior to a Starvis 1 camera (in any resolution).

Hi sorry to hijack your question
where can you purchase a viofo A139 pro duo in the uk at the mo?

The A139 Pro is currently in Pre-sale and will ship from China.
It will take some weeks until they are available locally.

Viofo.com website only at the moment, and they will be a first production run direct from the factory.
They will arrive in the Viofo store on Amazon.co.uk when the second batch get produced, in a few weeks time.

thank you for that Julian 23 and nigel :finger:

Hi everyone,

Been tossing up between these 2 cams for a while and getting cold feet about paying extra for the A139 pro 2ch instead of saving and getting the A229. Can anyone please provide guidance on the following and tell me if what I'm doing is silly?

I live in a country that gets very hot during summer. I'm considering hard wiring to get parking mode. Will the A139pro struggle with heat compared to the A229??

I also see from tests online that the A139 pro uses more power in 2 channel than the A229 duo. Will this make a substantial difference long term?

I see all the hype of the Starvis 2 sensor, but considering the A139 pro is newer, is it pretty safe to assume that there won't be too many bugs in the product that viofo haven't ironed out yet? Is the image quality actually been that good? It's hard to make out too much in online videos to my novice eyes.

I'm thinking of getting the A139 pro, but potentially better hear resistance, lower power consumption and 25% less cost is making me think of the A229 but not able to find enough info online to sway me in a clear decision.
I do like how the A139pro 2ch is smaller though.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks

Back