Viofo discount code?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 88471
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 88471

Looking at the reviews here I've decided to go for the Viofo A129 Pro 4k, which I would have known nothing about were it not for this forum. Whilst going through the purchase process on the Viofo website there is a box for a discount code, which made me think I should ask before hitting the buy button. Apologies if this is a bit cheeky.

Welcome to the club.
You want the A229 Pro 4K.
Check the description box of this video for discount codes;

Screenshot 2024-02-18 5.15.47 PM.png

You want the A229 Pro 4K.

But that camera is an extra $80.
Is the A229 Pro really worth that much more over the A129 Pro?
Some people are still saying that the A129 has the better image quality, although that is definitely debatable! In sunshine it is quite close though.

For night time use I would recommend the A229 Plus over the A129 Pro, they are the same price, and there is far more chance of reading license plates at night with the A229 Plus.
If you want to make 4K daytime videos, and don't want to pay the extra for the A229 Pro, then the A129 Pro is still a good dashcam.
If you want to report dangerous driving by BMWs to the police and you drive mainly in daylight, then the the extra resolution of the A129 Pro may be preferable.

But that camera is an extra $80.
Is the A229 Pro really worth that much more over the A129 Pro?
Some people are still saying that the A129 has the better image quality, although that is definitely debatable! In sunshine it is quite close though.

For night time use I would recommend the A229 Plus over the A129 Pro, they are the same price, and there is far more chance of reading license plates at night with the A229 Plus.
If you want to make 4K daytime videos, and don't want to pay the extra for the A229 Pro, then the A129 Pro is still a good dashcam.
If you want to report dangerous driving by BMWs to the police and you drive mainly in daylight, then the the extra resolution of the A129 Pro may be preferable.
You rightly inferred from my post that price is an issue Nigel.
Thanks for the info... time for a rethink.

price is an issue
If price is your concern, and want the best possible image quality you may consider (two units) A119 Mini 2 for front & rear.
When they go on sale they’re around $90 each.

What a good idea.
An added benefit is if the front camera should fail you have an immediately available, exact replacement already in the car - just move it from the rear to the front.

An added benefit is if the front camera should fail you have an immediately available, exact replacement already in the car - just move it from the rear to the front.
Good point. I'm thinking the VS1 mini would be better suited since a rear display would be pointless and it would be no great hardship to go without a front display.

Good point. I'm thinking the VS1 mini would be better suited since a rear display would be pointless and it would be no great hardship to go without a front display.
I was thinking of suggesting that, should make a very good rear camera. I haven't tried one though.

Does anyone know how the real horizontal FoV compares between the VS1 and A119 Mini 2 with updated lens? @Panzer Platform

I'm thinking the VS1 mini would be better suited since a rear display would be pointless and it would be no great hardship to go without a front display.
I specifically mentioned the A119 Mini 2, and NOT the VS1 based on;
Image Quality
VS1 lacks a power button, (can’t turn off camera when powered by hardwire kit)
VS1 has no optional CPL Filter available
A119 Mini 2 has “better” processor;
Mini 2: Novatek 96580
VS1: Novatek 96565
VS1: No 60fps Option
Mini 2: 60fps Capable

Does anyone know how the real horizontal FoV compares between the VS1 and A119 Mini 2 with updated lens? @Panzer Platform
I have not tested a production / retail VS1 yet.

I specifically mentioned the A119 Mini 2, and NOT the VS1 based on;
  1. Image Quality
  2. VS1 lacks a power button, (can’t turn off camera when powered by hardwire kit)
  3. VS1 has no optional CPL Filter available
  4. A119 Mini 2 has “better” processor;
  5. Mini 2: Novatek 96580
  6. VS1: Novatek 96565
  7. VS1: No 60fps Option
  8. Mini 2: 60fps Capable
  1. VS1 Image quality is going to be very good for a rear camera. I assume we are not looking for the ultimate rear camera.
  2. Not sure that matters, I assume it can be configured to turn off when parked, and the hardwire kit could be connected to ACC power only, so it always turns off when parked. Depends on what is wanted for parking mode, if anything at the rear, clearly it is not quite as flexible, but if you are going to plug it into a rear accessory socket for easy install then you are not going to have rear parking mode anyway.
  3. Most people don't have CPL filters at the rear anyway, they are of limited use in most cars, the A229 doesn't have one available. Also, it seems likely that a VS1 CPL filter will be available later this year, so then it will be better than a A229 Pro!
  4. The A119 Mini has a different processor, probably only in order to support 60fps, which you quite likely wont be using because it is not compatible with HDR, and HDR is more useful. I haven't seen figures for production firmware, but maybe the Mini 2 can manage higher bitrate at 30fps?
  5. See answer No. 4.
  6. See answer No. 4.
  7. See answer No. 4.
  8. See answer No. 4.

Not sure that matters
Lack of a power button is a critical design flaw, and just plain lazy / cost cutting especially when all other Viofo dash cams have a power button.
Yes, Viofo will release a two button Bluetooth remote that may turn off the camera but now the consumer has to buy yet another "$20 optional accessory" in order to unlock all the camera's features.
Not to mention add more preventative maintenance, and malfunctions of having to replace a battery periodically, not to mention more support ticket inquiry for Bluetooth remote issues.
C'mon man. lol

Lack of a power button is a critical design flaw, and just plain lazy / cost cutting especially when all other Viofo dash cams have a power button.
I don't think I've ever used a power button on a rear camera!
I normally just slide the camera off it's mount, although that is slightly more difficult with a VS1 than with an A119 V3; you would need to unplug it.

I don't use the power button on front cameras very often, normally only to stop recording when I want to remove the memory card, but you don't need a power button for that, you can use voice commands or the phone app; and these days I think most people are using the phone app to collect the video files anyway, instead of removing the memory card, so the stop recording is done automatically.

Not to mention add more preventative maintenance, and malfunctions of having to replace a battery periodically, not to mention more support ticket inquiry for Bluetooth remote issues.
Bluetooth remote batteries don't seem to need replacing very often, they are 10 year lifespan batteries, not sure how many years they last in the remote?

But I don't expect people buying a VS1 will buy a remote, I expect that they will use voice commands. Not sure how well that works with a rear camera when in actual use?

The other problem with a Bluetooth remote for the rear camera is that Viofo need a better pairing system, so that you can pair a specific remote button with a specific camera, or preferably multiple specific cameras.

Back