Viofo GPS module authenticity

camdashuser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Purchased a Viofo GPS module that is compatible with the A118c and was wondering how I can tell the difference between this and the knock-offs? I see a difference by the photos. They both say "GPS" stamped on the module housing.

I think it's literally a 50/50 chance, unless the seller is a known reputable one where it can be verified they definitely sell genuine ones. However, even if it isn't a "genuine viofo" there's every chance it's still a perfectly useable module that will work properly on your cam

I have a non-branded GPS module that I've been using on my auto-vox branded A118c (I understand this cam to be a better quality clone than the unbranded ones), and the GPS module has been faultless, cost me eqv $5 ish

well, there are not so many gps chip makers around. And, of course, there are no "viofo gps", because they will source from gps suppliers. It might be (and probably is) exactly the same.

Reactions: Mtz
well, there are not so many gps chip makers around. And, of course, there are no "viofo gps", because they will source from gps suppliers. It might be (and probably is) exactly the same.

the housing is a public model, what's inside can be sourced from many different suppliers and there's quite a lot of different options, see this often when people buy one because it looks just like another yet it doesn't work, they don't all use the same format unfortunately

I think it's literally a 50/50 chance, unless the seller is a known reputable one where it can be verified they definitely sell genuine ones. However, even if it isn't a "genuine viofo" there's every chance it's still a perfectly useable module that will work properly on your cam

I have a non-branded GPS module that I've been using on my auto-vox branded A118c (I understand this cam to be a better quality clone than the unbranded ones), and the GPS module has been faultless, cost me eqv $5 ish

I purchased this from a Viofo authorized seller. Didn't ask if it was the real thing, why would I in this case, right?

Question, does your module shut off or is incapable of getting gps coordinates in bad weather like a good rain? Mine was working this afternoon I see and the vids that my cam took this evening are non-existent - gps, that is.

My module was flawless.

Weather and surroundings can be a factor in getting a strong GPS signal but it shouldn't be as problematic as it sounds. if @viofo is about you could ask him to clarify if your seller was indeed legitimate

Here's the seller I bought from https://www.ebay.com/usr/captureyouraction?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
I'm hoping the reason it cut out was due to the rainy weather and I don't mount the module on the windshield. I just let it hang off the side on top of the rear view mirror. So the module can be tilted a bit, still it's a GPS module and this shouldn't have an effect on that really.

Here's the seller I bought from https://www.ebay.com/usr/captureyouraction?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
I'm hoping the reason it cut out was due to the rainy weather and I don't mount the module on the windshield. I just let it hang off the side on top of the rear view mirror. So the module can be tilted a bit, still it's a GPS module and this shouldn't have an effect on that really.

@CaptureYourAction is a member here and only sells genuine product, if there is some sort of problem you will get help, no issue there, if you haven't mounted it as designed though you are going to find it's very directional at times, I'd suggest start by mounting it so that it is oriented correctly for best results

The only GPS modules I have that fit the A118C2 is the Viofo module, so it's the real deal. Get it mounted and see how you make out. Be sure not to mount it too close to the camera. Most users mount it in the top right or left of the windshield. Also, poor weather will affect performance.

The only GPS modules I have that fit the A118C2 is the Viofo module, so it's the real deal. Get it mounted and see how you make out. Be sure not to mount it too close to the camera. Most users mount it in the top right or left of the windshield. Also, poor weather will affect performance.
Why does mounting it too close to the camera affect it? The A119 mounts right on top of the module.

No kidding, so how far is acceptable. Today again if didn't even hook up to satellite, then on my way back from work it did. Is the A118c2 really that affected by it? I really can't stand more attachments to my windshield, so how far are we talking about?

No kidding, so how far is acceptable. Today again if didn't even hook up to satellite, then on my way back from work it did. Is the A118c2 really that affected by it? I really can't stand more attachments to my windshield, so how far are we talking about?

we generally put them top corner of the windscreen, where have you mounted it?

I still have it unmounted cord still twist tied above the rearview mirror. It's about ten inches away from the cam. I still find it hard to believe that a cmos battery of that size will effect a gps module. GPS modules work properly upside down or downside up as long as not under heavy obstruction. This morning I checked the screen and I saw a red "0 mph" and not a "No GPS" at stand still on start-up, so it was connected to the signal. I checked the video and there was no GPS coordinates recorded throughout. Then this evening's video there is. Today was just overcast.

I'm also starting to see a trend and swear it only connects in the evening??? None of the daylight vids have GPS...no joke.

10 inches away is more than enough, the antenna for the GPS is directional, if you don't have it oriented correctly you'll struggle to get signal

I decided to mount it to the windshield. If I want I can always remove or move it around with new 3m tape I guess. Hopefully that won't bee too hard.

The signal does seem to acquire consistently. However, the initial does take over five minutes to connect so it's not the best GPS unit. My radar detector's GPS acquires in less than a minute's time per the video.

My gps was just sat on my dashboard at the bottom left of my windscreen, had no issues at all.... and that was a cheapy

Is this the first GPS unit/GPS dashcam you've had? is it possible you're just in an area where the signal strength in general is low, or you're maybe in an area where there could be a lot of interference?

GPS always takes longer to lock from a cold start. 5 minutes is definitely a little long, but could be the location. Also, these GPS modules were originally designed to be placed on the dash board, GPS engraving towards the sky. The GPS inside is orientated for best signal strength when mounted this way. When mounted to the windshield, it’s technically upside down. Most users don’t really have an issue though. Might slow down signal lock. It’s possible to flip the GPS inside so that it’s facing the correct direction when mounted to the windshield, but I wouldn’t bother if it’s working fine.

GPS always takes longer to lock from a cold start. 5 minutes is definitely a little long, but could be the location. Also, these GPS modules were originally designed to be placed on the dash board, GPS engraving towards the sky. The GPS inside is orientated for best signal strength when mounted this way. When mounted to the windshield, it’s technically upside down. Most users don’t really have an issue though. Might slow down signal lock. It’s possible to flip the GPS inside so that it’s facing the correct direction when mounted to the windshield, but I wouldn’t bother if it’s working fine.

Oh facepalm. I can live with it though.

Like I said, most mount it this way. The GPS in the wife's car is at the top right of the windshield (technically upside down). I don't notice any issue. Probably pick up signal faster if I moved it to the dash or flipped the GPS inside. I'm fine with it as is.

If you're ever inclined to move it, you can place it in the corner of your dash or on the pillar cover. See photo. It would be sideways when mounted on the pillar, but should pick up signal faster than when mounted to the windshield.

Attachments

• GPS mounting.jpg
    GPS mounting.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 18
Back