Viofo HK3 with A119 v2

Bremel

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Viofo HK3 HWK for my A119 v2, as my previous HWK had started malfunctioning. I know the HK3 is designed for the A119 v3 and A129 series, but I bought it anyway as it features both a mini USB port and a configurable low voltage cut-off (very important as the default 11,6V for most HWKs is way too low), and because I'd probably upgrade to an A129 should my A119 v2 die one day.

The HK3 comes with a separate yellow ACC wire for automatic switching to parking mode, but that kind of HWK-switched parking mode obviously isn't supported by my A119 v2. I first tried to only connect the red battery wire, but that automatically triggers the parking mode and my A119 simply wouldn't go on. No problem I thought, I'll feed both the battery and ACC wire at the same time... works like a charm at first sight, but then I discovered the low voltage cut-off is ignored when the ACC wire is powered. o_O

Any ideas to get this working anyway? Is there a way for the A119 v2 to operate anyway despite the HWK being in parking mode, or how could I get the low voltage cut-off working despite the ACC wire being powered?

As a potential workaround, I thought of using a diode to lower the actual voltage by some 0.6 V off... but will the usual 11.6 V cut-off still kick in or will even that be ignored when the ACC wire is powered?

Do you use parking mode ?

Yes, hence the need for a HWK. But on the A119 v2, parking mode is solely managed by the dashcam itself (based on the absence of movement I think) and it thus requires normal and constant power supply to do so.

You need to connect the ACC wire to the Accessory fuse, or any other that is switched by the ignition, then the dashcam will get power from the red, and a parking signal from the ACC, which will be ignored, and the low voltage cutoff will operate when parked, but not when driving. You don't want the low voltage cutoff operating when driving because if you have a low battery then it may take a while after turning the ignition on before the voltage rises sufficiently, having the cutoff overridden by the ACC solves that problem.

You correctly have the red wire connected to permanent power.

That's valid for the A119 v3 and A129 series, but doesn't totally work like that for my A119 v2 unfortunately. When connecting the ACC wire to a switched fuse (and thus losing power on that wire when the engine is switched off), my A119 v2 doesn't work at all anymore even though the red battery wire is still powered. I think the HWK cuts the power on one the USB pins as a signal for the dashcam that parking mode should be enabled, but that obviously doesn't work for my v2 and it won't operate at all.

Maybe there is no solution (other than buying the A129 I was keeping in mind for the future...), but it would still be interesting to know whether there is some workaround. For instance whether the low voltage cut-off will still kick in when the voltage goes below 11,6 V despite have power on the ACC wire.

Back