Viofo MT1 Dual Motorcycle dashcam on a Bicycle

Update: the jumper pack does not work. The output on these are switched on by a relay apparently controlled by circuitry that senses a heavy enough load like a car starter. Connecting a 400 watt inverter to the outputs is a big enough load to trigger the relay (you can hear it click), but the MT1 doesn’t trigger it and thus receives no power.

I will try one of the TalentCells next.

I had a successful test and 90-minute ride today (shorter than usual due to extreme heat/humidity in the USA Midwest) with the MT1 with a 11,000mAh TalentCell as the power source. The battery arrived today with 2 out of 4 charge LEDs lit. After charging it for an hour, it went to the 3rd LED. The indicator was still on the 3rd LED when I got home 90 minutes later. I'm planning on a 6-hour ride this weekend, so hopefully I will get a full battery life test with the setup.

No complaints with picture quality. I have yet to install the app, so the camera install positions were just eyeballed.

Attachments

• frontcam1.jpg
    frontcam1.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 8
  • rearcam1.jpg
    rearcam1.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 8
I've been on a few rides now with the TalentCell+MT1 combo. I have yet to go on a long all-day ride to give the battery life a good test, but I've been on a few 2.5-hour rides with the battery charge indicator never going below 3 out of 4.

The one issue I do see is that at night and twilight, the picture tends to go out of focus and stay that way, particularly on the rear camera. Otherwise the system does everything it should.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 8
The one issue I do see is that at night and twilight, the picture tends to go out of focus
I would expect vibration to cause motion blur at night, which will make it look out of focus while moving. Getting a good picture at night is going to be very difficult.

I don't expect it to go genuinely out of focus, although in very dark conditions it will need to turn up the gain more than a car dashcam because they have brighter headlights, and turning up the gain probably also turns up the noise reduction unless street lights are very bright, which can have a similar effect to looking out of focus.

I think if you need to record the license plate of a moving car at night, it is probably wise to shout it out so that the microphone records it!

Back