Viofo MT1 review

Biker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have started reviewing Viofo MT1, mounted on a Suzuki DL650.
Unfortunately, both cameras capture vibrations that distorts the video image. They now sit with 3M tape in the plastic brackets and I will have to try to find a more stable mounting.
All other cameras I have tested on the same bike have been mounted on a RAM mount on the handlebars, with no vibration problem.

Anybody that have a better experience with similar camera mountings?

To download the video files via WiFi, the ignition needs to be switched on. Since it means that the dipped headlight and taillight is on, it draws a lot of power. I consider mounting a switch, so that the cable that receives power when the ignition turns on, when needed can be connected to the positive pole directly. Then neither the ignition coil nor the front and rear lights need to be switched on. Do you have any views on that?

Last edited:
Update:
I have since the last week emailed the above questions 3 times to Viofo's representative, also written a PM to him in the forum, sent the same email to the support at Viofo, have not received any answer!

Switched from plastic mounts to metal mounts for the cameras, tried to find even more stable places to mount them. Note that I have tested over 16 other cameras using the same motorcycle, without any vibration problems, but then they have been in a mount on the handlebars.

The result was a slightly more stable image from the rear camera, the front still captures vibrations that my editing software is unable to stabilize (plus it takes a very long time for that operation).

I will try to attach the front camera under the headlights that was suggested from Swizzp4 in the Vstrom forum.

It might be useful to see a short clip of the vibration and some photos of the mounts. It is very hard to give a recommendation from the information you have posted.

Any camera, even one with stabilisation needs a good mount, sticking it to plastic via a sticky pad is generally not good. The smaller the vehicle the more important it is to have a solid mount as directly connected to the frame as possible.

I mounted my MT1 on a bicycle where good mounts are very important:

Thank you Nigel, really appreciate you feedback!

The review I am working on is for the "Everyday Rider", not really for someone of your expertise. I am trying to show how easy, or not, it is to install the MT1, if there is any after sales help to get from Viofo (obviously not) and the usefulness of the recordings.

Right now the recordings are definitely NOT good enough, I have tried several mountings (both plastic and metal), also used self tapping screws to fasten the mounts but the vibrations are still severe. Will try some way to fasten the front camera on the handlebars, such mountings have been adequate for all other cameras I have reviewed over the years using several different bikes.

Planning to produce a video for Youtube when the review is finished and delivered to the magazine, will announce here when it is ready.

It will attach to a GoPro mount fairly easily for handlebar mounting etc.

The supplied mounts are OK, the problem will be with what it is being attached to, and there is nothing about the MT1 that makes it worse than others except that some have EIS stabilisation which will hide some of the problem. EIS doesn't actually solve the problem though, it still needs a good mount to avoid pixel blur from camera shake which EIS can not remove.

I am trying to show how easy, or not, it is to install the MT1,
Yes, and it is important to let them know the importance of a good mount so they can do a good job of mounting it, otherwise everyone will get very different results to your review.

If you can feel something vibrating then it is not good as a mounting location for any camera! Handlebars are normally designed so you don't feel them vibrate, but may not be the most solid mounting.

Made a last effort, saw that there was boltholes free below the windscreen (it´s in the highest position). Manufactured a mount of thick foam plastic, the camera appeared to be absolutely rock steady when idling.
Took a ride, as soon as I operate the throttle there are very annoying vibrations.

Below windscreen mount, low res.jpg

The problem with the RAM handlebar mount is that I have to use a long arm so that the camera does not pick up more of the bike than the road. It also make it more vulnerable for thefts and have to remove the mount when covering the bike at nights. But i guess it´s the only way to get a vibration free MT1-video when mounted on this bike.

In private I normally usually use a Drift Ghost X camera mounted on the handlebars, really not the best video quality there is but good enough as a "Security Camera". And the battery lasts for about 8 hours!
Here is a video example

For more high quality recordings I am using a couple of Hero 8 cameras and usually an Akaso V50 Pro on a rear mount.

Manufactured a mount of thick foam plastic,
Looks a nice place to mount it, but you want to use something stiff, the stiffer the better and I guess foam plastic isn't, not something I've used. That looks like it would probably twist easily if you give the camera a push with your finger, and that is not good.

Aluminum strip is easy to work for things like that and can look good, it can easily be bent by hand if you put it in a vice or between two blocks of wood and stand on them, but either use fairly thick aluminum, or multiple layers laminated to give it more rigidity, maybe your foam plastic laminated between two layers of aluminium so that it will absorb some vibrations as well as being stiff.

If it resonates at an inconvenient frequency, you can often move the frequency to one that doesn't matter by adding some weight.

Tried a strip of aluminium but I could feel i vibrating when idling. The foam plastic mount is made of a FlipFlop, really sturdy :)!

I don´t have the time for more mounting experiments, will use the handlebar mount.

There is another bolt hole there, further back, add a brace from there to the camera, triangular structures always have far more rigidity.

I have tried the position under the headlights, still heavy vibrations! Also made a metal bracket and screwed to the two available holes under the windscreen, still heavy vibrations! Took the front camera and fastened it to a Ram mount on the handlebars, still vibrations not so heavy this time but definitely not acceptable!

Tested with a Innovv C3 camera (it has the lens attached to the camera unit with a cable), first mounted the lens under the headlights which gave minor vibrations, then to the same Ram mount, very small vibrations, acceptable I would say.

Have sent the photos and a video to Viofo but have not got any answers from them.

My conclusion is that the Viofo MT1 is not usable on a Suzuki DL560 ABS, the cameras seems to be constructed for car use and they too easily picks up vibrations from the motorcycle.
As we are near the end of the MC season here (and lacking a response from Viofo) I will finish my review with that statement.

Any chance of seeing some video showing the problem? Send me a PM if you don't want to make it public...

Nigel, this is what the metal mount looks like, the bolt is tightened as much as possible

1599053975008.png

Back