Viofo MT1 review

Biker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It all looked so good when reading the specifications! Front and rear camera, automatic start, remote control, GPS-recording and so on.
So I have spent a lot of time testing the camera system. I have really tried to like it, but ........!

See for your self:

It do seem to be hard finding something on a motorcycle that do not vibrate, which i assume you need badly when there are no EIS in the camera.
If you drive a Harley it must be even harder / impossible.

I think you must mount to clean steel, so the frame / front forks are just about all i can think of.

I have no problems with the MT1, mine was mounted under the headlight inside the fairings on my gsxr1000, I'm about to mount it on my new bike a zero FSX.
Yours is the only video I have seen with so much vibration, all the other sample vids are fine... Maybe it's not the camera at fault

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It all looked so good when reading the specifications! Front and rear camera, automatic start, remote control, GPS-recording and so on.
So I have spent a lot of time testing the camera system. I have really tried to like it, but ........!

See for your self:
The Viofo MT1 video review was stellar. The MT1 system did seem to have some serious image quality issues. Thanks for the viewing, Biker. Oh, what video editing app did you use?

"I directly sent a video copy to Viofo, they answered in September that a technician would look at the file and come back with an answer (and hopefully a solution). Since then I have sent reminding emails a couple of times but have never got any reply. Which indicates to me to me that Viofo is well aware of the problem and do not have a solution as to eliminate the camera vibrations . "

"Fact", sorry for the late answer, edited in DaVinci Resolve

Still looking for a "vibration free" dual camera, appreciate all info. Driving season starts in April (hopefully, -11C and 25 cm of snow now) :))!

Also, does anyone know where to find an extension cable for the rear MT1 camera? Thinking of trying the MT1 in my car but the rear cable is to short (got no response from Viofo when asking them about a longer cable).

Biker, thanks for the follow up. I placed an INNOVV K5 order so I'm done shopping. Extension cables is a great idea for any manufacturer as would assist in the installation/setup of camera systems--allowing for more customization and easing some shopping concerns like "how will this system fit on my bike"? I hear you on April target (-3C here with about the same snow coverage). Good luck with that as well.

Have you done any 4K edits and productions of bike footage with DaVinci? I'm slightly nervous about the change to 4k and having to upsize everything...starting with the video capture.

Good luck with Innovv (Been there, done with that :)!).

Come to think of it, I have only used Premiere Pro for 4K editing. Mainly because then I am using a separate "video editing PC" with only that editing software installed and also because of the fact that I usually work mostly in 2,7K.
The video quality difference between 2,7 and 4K when watching videos on Youtube was not so big when we first checked so we stayed with 2,7.
Maybe it´s time to reconsider now when most cameras can produce 4K in 60fps or more.

I am still very "annoyed" with GoPro since they took away the preview function during recording for our Hero9 (and the use of the Smart Remote control). I have been trying to return the camera and get a compensation but they refuse to accept it ;-(!
Otherwise I had planned to test 5K recording with Hero9 but now I am rather *%¤# with all things regarding GoPro.

Good stuff Biker! I'll continue to tinker with my video "bone-knife-and-flint-stone" system until the K5 system is introduced. I have not a clue what "2,7K" is and shutter to think of 5K. I'd rather ride than work at the video productions but we have winter for that...video productions. Hey, have you used Scenic's navigation? I gave it a go on one of my road trips and found it to be promising but frustrating on the learning curve.

Good stuff Biker! I'll continue to tinker with my video "bone-knife-and-flint-stone" system until the K5 system is introduced. I have not a clue what "2,7K" is and shutter to think of 5K. I'd rather ride than work at the video productions but we have winter for that...video productions. Hey, have you used Scenic's navigation? I gave it a go on one of my road trips and found it to be promising but frustrating on the learning curve.
For productions that will be published via a computer monitor and streamed (like from Youtube) we use Full HD (can be defined as 1,92K) as a final format (1920 x 1080 and 60 fps).

4K (mainly defined as 3920 (or 3840 for most monitors) x 2160 is extremely more taxing on the computer than Full HD, especially with 60 fps (about four times more than with Full HD).
And in order to use the full capability in an editing software, like Premiere Pro, you have to buy a very powerful (also read expensive) graphics card and top up memory capacity for both computer and graphic card.

2,7K (2704 x 1520) needs about 40 - 150% more power in the computer compared to Full HD (processor, graphics card, memory).

Right now we find that recording and editing in 2,7K gives us the advantage of a better quality than Full HD (noticeable even when downgrading the final product to Full HD) and the freedom of cropping (zooming in using parts of a recorded segment), easier also when rotating a picture and keeping the frame format.

A complicating factor is that Youtube use a different form of compression for 2,7 and 4K, it gives (we think) a better final viewing quality than with Full HD video uploads.

And finally, if your camera can use 60 fps (frames per second) ALWAYS USE IT!

You just catapulted into the era of action cam video sharing. Thanks for the input.

I am not recording in 240 FPS with my action camera ( for regular footage ) but i do some times use the strait to slow motion option that record the 1080p / 240 FPS but save it in 30 FPS slow motion.
So i dont have to bother with that in post.
But yes otherwise i use 4/k 60 mostly, and just upscale my 1080p slow motion to fit with that.

I dont think the otherwise good EIS in many high end action cameras are able to deal with what can be very vigorous vibrations, on a motorcycle or elsewhere.
I have seen testers shake those cameras good, but what you can do with your wrist are far from the high HZ vibrations you can run into elsewhere.

Kamkar, I can't wait to get some 4K captured action cam video from the INNOVV K5 to try some of your tips. (Also, taking into account Biker's concerns with the K5.) The K5 is scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks and I should have it installed on my bike by the end of March. What are your thoughts on say, capturing a 6-8 hour ride with continues footage? What do you suggest for K5 file storage? I was using 128MB SD cards (those tiny chips) on my previous 1080p 30 FPS dual camera system. One 128MB card could handle a day's ride.

I think i forgot to mention i am talking about my action camera, i dont think the K5 can do the same my Osmo action camera can do, like 4K / 60 FPS and 100 mbit, just to mention the 2 biggest things in regard to details.
Also you cant easy change in between recording options easy as you can with a action camera, so you should stick to one set of formats.

I assume the K5 have the same segment size as most dashcams, so if i was a biker i would stick to the 3 min segments i have always used in my car.
Of course that do mean you will have to drop a lot of files into a editing software to output them as one big file, but once you get used to it, it are not that hard to work with.
I have compiled a few drive sessions recorded in my car with a action camera, the longest was a 9 hour long drive, which i split up into 9 segments, and then mixed to 6 X speed so the 1 hour of driving only was 10 minutes to watch.
You are not going to get anyone to sit glued to a screen and watch for hours on end, normally peoples attention start to fade around the 10 - 15 minute mark, so my advise is to use accelerated speed, and maybe mix in some highlights in normal speed or awesome photos taken.
30 or 60 FPS you can speed up just fine, so you can get some ground covered, it will be fine for long stretches where nothing much change, other times you want normal speed, but these are all things you can play with in post production.

In regard to memory card size i would go for a 256 GB card for a system like the K5, that should still hold a pretty decent drive before it start to loop back on itself when the card are full.

THis recording are made with my osmo action camera, using the 10 X hyperspeed function, as you can see even if it is fast footage when in open terrain / roads you dont really loose much, but then getting into towns it do get to feel too hectic as there are more things your eye want to register but it just dont have the time at these speeds.

You can sort of do the same in post production, and then just have parts of the video at 10 X speed and then slow to 5 X or maybe natural video for the interesting parts, and then open up for the "FPS speed" again on the other side.
So this is 50 minutes of driving compressed to 5 minutes.

This is regular footage from another action camera just speed up in post production, one of the parts of my 9 hour drive around northern Jutland.
It is recorded in 1080p but upscale in post production as youtube are kinder to 4K footage.

I think i forgot to mention i am talking about my action camera, i dont think the K5 can do the same my Osmo action camera can do, like 4K / 60 FPS and 100 mbit, just to mention the 2 biggest things in regard to details.
Also you cant easy change in between recording options easy as you can with a action camera, so you should stick to one set of formats.

I assume the K5 have the same segment size as most dashcams, so if i was a biker i would stick to the 3 min segments i have always used in my car.
Of course that do mean you will have to drop a lot of files into a editing software to output them as one big file, but once you get used to it, it are not that hard to work with.
I have compiled a few drive sessions recorded in my car with a action camera, the longest was a 9 hour long drive, which i split up into 9 segments, and then mixed to 6 X speed so the 1 hour of driving only was 10 minutes to watch.
You are not going to get anyone to sit glued to a screen and watch for hours on end, normally peoples attention start to fade around the 10 - 15 minute mark, so my advise is to use accelerated speed, and maybe mix in some highlights in normal speed or awesome photos taken.
30 or 60 FPS you can speed up just fine, so you can get some ground covered, it will be fine for long stretches where nothing much change, other times you want normal speed, but these are all things you can play with in post production.

In regard to memory card size i would go for a 256 GB card for a system like the K5, that should still hold a pretty decent drive before it start to loop back on itself when the card are full.
Okay, much appreciated words. I did error in the units of the 128 card. I said MB when it should have been GB. I think the move up to 256 will not be a logistical jump for me. I'm with you on the viewer attention span at around 10 minutes and the final cuts need to be a condensed version which represents the trek. Thanks again for sharing your experience and advice.

No worries :)

Not much spectacular nature to be seen here in Denmark as most have been plowed up and lakes and coastal areas reclaimed as farm land.
The US i recon also have wide expanses of nothing much, but then you also have some massive things, the tallest mountain here, well it is a insult to the English language to call it a mountain ( even if it is actually named "sky mountain" ) but in all honesty it is just a little pile of dirt pushed up by a glacier during the last iceage.

No worries :)

Not much spectacular nature to be seen here in Denmark as most have been plowed up and lakes and coastal areas reclaimed as farm land.
The US i recon also have wide expanses of nothing much, but then you also have some massive things, the tallest mountain here, well it is a insult to the English language to call it a mountain ( even if it is actually named "sky mountain" ) but in all honesty it is just a little pile of dirt pushed up by a glacier during the last iceage.
Kamkar, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there is beauty everywhere, if not the eye can see, the heart then. I enjoyed the heck out of the 4K clip snapped off this site. Just seeing how the road is used by cars, bikes, and pedestrians. The architecture and landscape was cool to see. The motorbikes moving along--how they seem to respect the area they cruised through. All good. I do have some sample clips, 1080p mp4 format with voice over narration, of both urban and rural USA rides. The motif of the clips is more about how I experience the ride than it is about scenery, however. It seems the "Max Wrist"-type videos, however entertaining, do not tell the entire story of the motorbike experience. In fact, no one style of ride could tell the entire story. I hope other riders will not stay under the shadow of the dare-devil styles and share their experience via videos. Later.

I would not like to ride a motorcycle, or i would, but those damn car drivers,,,, its a mess and they hit so hard.
But could be cool to do route 66 on a old Danish Nimbus bike, that should get folk's talking, "nice Har,,,, no thats not it, Nice ,,,, not thats not it either, what the hell is that guy driving" :unsure:

01_04_2017_1938_Nimbus_4_motorcycle_classic_Motos_of_war_Pipeburn_01.jpg

For productions that will be published via a computer monitor and streamed (like from Youtube) we use Full HD (can be defined as 1,92K) as a final format (1920 x 1080 and 60 fps).

4K (mainly defined as 3920 (or 3840 for most monitors) x 2160 is extremely more taxing on the computer than Full HD, especially with 60 fps (about four times more than with Full HD).
And in order to use the full capability in an editing software, like Premiere Pro, you have to buy a very powerful (also read expensive) graphics card and top up memory capacity for both computer and graphic card.

2,7K (2704 x 1520) needs about 40 - 150% more power in the computer compared to Full HD (processor, graphics card, memory).

Right now we find that recording and editing in 2,7K gives us the advantage of a better quality than Full HD (noticeable even when downgrading the final product to Full HD) and the freedom of cropping (zooming in using parts of a recorded segment), easier also when rotating a picture and keeping the frame format.

A complicating factor is that Youtube use a different form of compression for 2,7 and 4K, it gives (we think) a better final viewing quality than with Full HD video uploads.

And finally mobile welding atlanta, if your camera can use 60 fps (frames per second) ALWAYS USE IT!
I'm interested. The poor quality is still acceptable. The vibration problem is acceptable to me. Maybe I have lower standards. Last time I had a camera the problem was interference with GPS signals. It wasn't a GPS unit exactly. It was a work unit in my car. Does GPS work when you have the camera on? Everything else is secondary to me at this time. I hope you can answer my question.

Back