VIOFO Prototype Hardwire Kit - Test & Review

Do you have a dash cam battery pack in your possession?
Have you ever tested, or used a dash cam battery pack?
EGEN, PowerCore, etc.
I’m not talking about USB power banks.
Not sure what your point is?
My point is sometimes your arguments are theoretical, and not based on hands on experience.
Sometimes you say things an A.I chatbot would say.
If you have never tested, or used a dash cam battery back it limits your practical knowledge / experience.

The question is, what is the most useful cutoff voltage?
And is that voltage more useful than 0V? 0V seems completely useless to me!
Maybe the cut off should be 10.8V, or 10.0V, as I suggested in post #6 ?
I changed my mind and agree with @Nigel.
The most useful cut-off voltage is 10V clean, because:
All dedicated batteries are 4S LFPs, and for LFP the recommended cut-off voltage is 2.5V per cell or 10V for a pack.
Also, I think that the 6S is the best configuration for the future LTO battery packs, and 10V cut-off would be perfect for it.

Additionally the most useful cut-off voltage is 10V clean, because:
All the reasons @Nigel pointed above, like, it will be another layer of defense for dedicated batteries if internal BMS fails, will protect un-protected DIY Lithium batteries, will not completely destroy the starter battery, allowing it to be recovered, if someone accidentally uses this setting, etc.

I think it should be labeled "10V Lithium"

Of course it will not work with my 4S LTO Battery, but hey, I have my own 5.5V converters.

I changed my mind and agree with @Nigel.
The most useful cut-off voltage is 10V clean, because:
All dedicated batteries are 4S LFPs, and for LFP the recommended cut-off voltage is 2.5V per cell or 10V for a pack.
Also, I think that the 6S is the best configuration for the future LTO battery packs, and 10V cut-off would be perfect for it.

Additionally the most useful cut-off voltage is 10V clean, because:
All the reasons @Nigel pointed above, like, it will be another layer of defense for dedicated batteries if internal BMS fails, will protect un-protected DIY Lithium batteries, will not completely destroy the starter battery, allowing it to be recovered, if someone accidentally uses this setting, etc.

I think it should be labeled "10V Lithium"

Of course it will not work with my 4S LTO Battery, but hey, I have my own 5.5V converters.
I disagree based on BlackVue, Thinkware, Vueroid, FineVu and all the other Korean dash cam brands have “OFF” as a LVC setting in their smartphone APP.

I disagree based on BlackVue, Thinkware, Vueroid, FineVu and all the other Korean dash cam brands have “OFF” as a LVC setting in their smartphone APP.
Because of all these Korean brands are copying each other doesn't necessarily mean it is the best possible design sollution.
Viofo shouldn't just follow and copy potentially unsafe deaign solution, Viofo can lead and do better.
If all this Korean HKs are converting 12V into 5V they must be buck converters, right? And if so, at some voltage level above 5V they will basically stop working. There should be a number behind "OFF" setting. May be it is +/- 10V?
If you have any of these HK brands on hand, it is easy to check at what voltage they stop working and how.
Simply connect to your variable voltage power supply and slowly lower input voltage from 12 down while monitoring the output voltage.
Then we can see if it makes any sense to give up on all the safety benefits of 10V cutoff in exchange of whatever number you will get.

Also, labeling "10V Lithium" is just a suggestion, we can label it "OFF" as long as cut off voltage maintaind at about 10V.

Last edited:
If all this Korean HKs are converting 12V into 5V they must be buck converters, right?
“All” Korean brands mentioned do not use USB Type-C at 5 Volts.
They use a barrel connector with vehicle system voltage.

IMG_0348.PNG
IMG_0347.PNG
Also, labeling "10V Lithium" is just a suggestion, we can label it "OFF" as long as cut off voltage maintaind at about 10V.
This is false & misleading.
OFF means OFF.

“All” Korean brands mentioned do not use USB Type-C at 5 Volts.
They use a barrel connector with vehicle system voltage.

View attachment 71633
View attachment 71634

This is false & misleading.
OFF means OFF.
Oh my, I missed that, apparently Korean brands are running 12V directly to dash cam and conversion happens inside dash cam, exactly as I suggested in my post #35.
And I thought I am the one, who came up with that brilliant Idea, what a bummer. :(
Now that is what Viofo needs to copy from Korean brands, and the connector type does not matter, USB-C typically “smart” connector which can transfer from 5V and up to 28V as requested, also, can be as “dumb” as barrel connector, and that’s exactly what it is in case of Viofo dash cam for power transfer.
Basically any three pin connector, will work.

Back to what the”OFF LVC” really mean.

Obviously you cannot test Korean HK by itself, but you can do it with running dash cam.
Simply connect HK to your variable voltage power supply and let the dash cam run, then set it to "OFF LVC", then slowly lower input voltage from 12 down and see at what voltage the dash cam will shut off.
I am sure you will be surprised that "OFF" does not mean 0V, but likely somewhat above 5V and hopefully close to 10V.
Then we can blame Korean brands for “misleading” :)

Don't put Bluetooth on it with an app for setting the voltage, and data logger with history of how long battery lasted.

Oh my, I missed that, apparently Korean brands are running 12V directly to dash cam
Now that is what Viofo needs to copy from Korean brands
Nooooooo.
It must remain USB Type-C 5 Volt just like it is.
You’re ruining everything, (my inner 12 year old girl voice). Lol

Back to what the”OFF LVC” really mean.

Obviously you cannot test Korean HK by itself, but you can do it with running dash cam.
Simply connect HK to your variable voltage power supply and let the dash cam run, then set it to "OFF LVC", then slowly lower input voltage from 12 down and see at what voltage the dash cam will shut off.
I am sure you will be surprised that "OFF" does not mean 0V, but likely somewhat above 5V and hopefully close to 10V.
Then we can blame Korean brands for “misleading” :)
All the Korean brand dash cams I’ve tested I sent back to the manufacturer.
BlackVue DR900X Plus
BlackVue DR970X
Thinkware U3000
FineVu GX1000 (I sold this one because they would not send me a return shipping label)
GNET G-ON2 (I sold this one too)
I guess I only sent 3 back.

Can’t you just look at the first & last parking mode clip time stamp?
It takes a long time on VIOFO app, turning on wifi, connecting, the app with the long wait for file list.
Needs cloud also.

Try to remove SD card with thumbnail, springs out into traffic causing a crash that isn't recorded.

Back