Viofo Semi Resolved but Not Thrilled Yet

Doubt they tested

1. Camera shut off immediately on power loss - indicating a bad SuperCap
2. I don't think Viofo-Support would have a reason to lie about SuperCap being bad. Especially since I requested they look at unit after receiving.
3. Need a Hanky for those bitter tears? Apparently, your prospective future at Viofo-Tech-Support isn't looking all that promising.

Last edited:
Not a cold chance in hell there will be a repeat. Lesson learned that I will no longer subject any purchased dash camera to one iota of beta testing. Not worth the time, effort, aggravation, or headache.

Want to send me a freebie to test, I'll run the unit through the paces. Otherwise, I'll just post bugs I find on day to day usage, without purposefully repeating and trying to resolve those bugs. I'll let others be guinea pigs with their comped units.

Not a cold chance in hell there will be a repeat. Lesson learned that I will no longer subject any purchased dash camera to one iota of beta testing. Not worth the time, effort, aggravation, or headache.

Want to send me a freebie to test, I'll run the unit through the paces. Otherwise, I'll just post bugs I find on day to day usage, without purposefully repeating and trying to resolve those bugs. I'll let others be guinea pigs with their comped units.
They refunded you for your first dashcam (which had replaced been replaced prior) purchase. I remember you bought a second one from Amazon or whatever. Whatever happened to the second A139 dashcam that you ordered and wanted to intercept the package?
Since I have not seen any new thread or complaints, I trust everything is working fine 100% to your satisfaction with the second dashcam?

They refunded you for your first dashcam (which had replaced been replaced prior) purchase. I remember you bought a second one from Amazon or whatever. Whatever happened to the second A139 dashcam that you ordered and wanted to intercept the package?
Since I have not seen any new thread or complaints, I trust everything is working fine 100% to your satisfaction with the second dashcam?

Long story short.

1. Bought a Viofo A139 direct from Viofo.com. Unit was overheating on a hot day.
2. I asked Viofo to send me another unit, to see whether my unit was faulty or this was "normal".
3. Both units exhibited same behavior of overheating and corrupting last file upon shutdown (Not a SuperCap Issue).
4. Sent back the "Original Unit" and kept "Replacement"....Big Mistake.
5. Replacement ended up having a bad SuperCap, which meant when the camera shut down via hardwire kit, it corrupted the last file since Supercap didn't hold power to allow for a proper shutdown.

Ultimately, Viofo tried to give me an 80% refund and I refused. Then 85%..... Then a "Full Refund". Actually it ended up being about 95% because they claimed I was "refunded" on items before. Wasn't worth the headache or arguing. I sucked up the difference.

I ordered a replacement A139 3 Chan from amazon after getting refund. Will absolutely not subject this unit to direct sunlight. Apparently, heat doesn't play nice. Not sure if that killed SuperCap on the "replacement unit" or if unit just had a faulty supercap from the get go. Either way, things were resolved after a lot of "back and forth". But I found it overly insulting Viofo tried to give me 80 and then 85% of my money back on a product that went bad.

Viofo did email me and acknowledge I was right. That the SuperCap on the "replacement" unit had indeed failed per my suspicions.

Some time ago I sold off my Viofo dashcams and started using two other brands so I have not needed to continue revisiting this forum. But the very best result of dumping Viofo was not having to see anything written by HonestReview -- which is even better than finally having reliable dashcams for my cars!

Some time ago I sold off my Viofo dashcams and started using two other brands so I have not needed to continue revisiting this forum. But the very best result of dumping Viofo was not having to see anything written by HonestReview -- which is even better than finally having reliable dashcams for my cars!

Let me paraphrase what you've said:

You were so dissatisfied with Viofo that you "Dumped" their cameras for a more reliable and better product. "Substantiating" my complaints about quality control / reliability. Deciding it no longer necessary to frequent the Viofo Forum.....

Except to go out of your way to post in the Viofo forum a "rant" about being glad you dumped and sold your Viofo Products. And then to "Troll my Post" about being glad you no longer have to read my posts.

Yep...I think the proper terminology here is "You've got too Much Free Time on Your Hands", and "Need to Get a Life"?

@mentadent

Someone still pouting about being wrong over the bad SuperCap? It's ok man. Once you're done crying and "letting it all out" you can do us all a solid and upload the Dash Cam Video.

@Lothar asked a question and I gave him a brief synopsis of what transpired.

Let me paraphrase

Yes perhaps, but know that I would willingly use Viofo dashcams EXCLUSIVELY for the rest of my life -- if doing so would keep you barred from the internet during the same time period.

And I guarantee that no one here would miss you; I dare you to try to find just one person to say otherwise. They're generally too nice to make such a statement this one as directly, but they will probably mostly remain silent if asked.

Yes perhaps, but know that I would willingly use Viofo dashcams EXCLUSIVELY for the rest of my life -- if doing so would keep you barred from the internet during the same time period.

And I guarantee that no one here would miss you; I dare you to try to find just one person to say otherwise. They're generally too nice to make such a statement this one as directly, but they will probably mostly remain silent if asked.

1. I have helped plenty of people on here with constructive feedback. Even @mentadent who is choosing to be less than cordial.

Apparently my advice, and that of others solved his problem... Gee who'd thunk.

2. This is the internet. I place no value on what "strangers online" think of me. My feelings aren't hurt if you dislike me, because quite frankly I don't give a damn.

I mean seriously. You joined my conversation to complain about Viofo Products (i.e. selling yours) in a thread about quality control / reliability issues. Proceeded by a sanctimonious rant about hating me. And to quote you "making a special effort" to go out of your way to post in a forum you never frequent.....:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story short.

1. Bought a Viofo A139 direct from Viofo.com. Unit was overheating on a hot day.
2. I asked Viofo to send me another unit, to see whether my unit was faulty or this was "normal".
3. Both units exhibited same behavior of overheating and corrupting last file upon shutdown (Not a SuperCap Issue).
4. Sent back the "Original Unit" and kept "Replacement"....Big Mistake.
5. Replacement ended up having a bad SuperCap, which meant when the camera shut down via hardwire kit, it corrupted the last file since Supercap didn't hold power to allow for a proper shutdown.

Ultimately, Viofo tried to give me an 80% refund and I refused. Then 85%..... Then a "Full Refund". Actually it ended up being about 95% because they claimed I was "refunded" on items before. Wasn't worth the headache or arguing. I sucked up the difference.

I ordered a replacement A139 3 Chan from amazon after getting refund. Will absolutely not subject this unit to direct sunlight. Apparently, heat doesn't play nice. Not sure if that killed SuperCap on the "replacement unit" or if unit just had a faulty supercap from the get go. Either way, things were resolved after a lot of "back and forth". But I found it overly insulting Viofo tried to give me 80 and then 85% of my money back on a product that went bad.

Viofo did email me and acknowledge I was right. That the SuperCap on the "replacement" unit had indeed failed per my suspicions.
That story was a bit too long...Only wanted to know about the status of the most recent A139 that you ordered from Amazon.
I think everyone that was following this thread already knows about the other things.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that your recent A139 from Amazon is currently functioning bug free since you have not started any new threads or posted any bugs or glitches in any existing threads yet that I know off?

I'm curious as to what those two more reliable brands are?

That story was a bit too long...Only wanted to know about the status of the most recent A139 that you ordered from Amazon.
I think everyone that was following this thread already knows about the other things.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that your recent A139 from Amazon is currently functioning bug free since you have not started any new threads or posted any bugs or glitches in any existing threads yet that I know off?

My apologies. I understood you to be asking what happened as a whole versus Amazon.com

I have not "Heat Tested" the Amazon Purchased Camera. Even if I wanted to (no plans), Summer is Long Gone.

Unit #1 overheated and corrupted last file being written on overheat.

Unit #2 (Replacement) did same. Although I am not sure if SuperCap was Bad in the beginning or died during / as a result of heat testing unit. I didn't notice it was bad until I cleaned out my place, parked car outside, and noticed footage was corrupt when hardwire kit killed power.

Either way, I know the limitations and I'm going to be very mindful of trying to avoid "Direct Sun". Knowing that the A139 doesn't play well with heat.

So nothing more to add to this thread and there are no other threads.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
Back