VIOFO The Stupidity Continues

Wr1Camman

Reaction score
Country
United States
After paying shipping to have my WR1 replaced under warranty due to the problems I mentioned in another thread, I received the new one and found that it comes with a different style sticky mount. The sticky pad is oval instead of square. When I sent the bad WR1 back I wasn't about to rip the old stick mount off my windshield and damage the window tint. I just planned on using it with the new camera.

So I go to put the new camera on the old sticky mount and it won't fit. I struggled and struggled to the point of almost breaking the camera. I tried putting the camera on the new mount and it is difficult to get on and very difficult to get off. Once mounted on the windshield I don't think you could ever remove the camera from the new mount.

So now I am stuck with having to remove the old mount and damage my window tint or go without a dash cam.

The thing is, the loose point of both mounts is the the part that the nut holds. If you get in a wreck the camera is going to move due to the nut not being able to tighten the mount enough so why did VIOFO make the new camera and mount so difficult to put together and not allow the new camera to work with the old mount but ignore the issue of the mount nut not keeping the camera from moving?

Every day it is more stupidity from VIOFO.

It's a bit shocking that the major electronics players aren't dipping their toes in the dashcam area. I know it's a super small market, so maybe the small scale just doesn't work with their larger operations, but these amateur companies really just don't have the experience to make quality production and design decisions, honestly.

As annoyed as I am with the Wr1, it's still a bit of an aberration for Viofo, who has a fairly good track record for an 'amateur company'.

I also found that the replacement car cigarette power adapter no longer has an LED to verify there is power to it. Why would you get rid of that feature? It was always good to be able to see that there was power. Now if the power adapter comes unplugged you will never know.

I don't know if it is one disgruntled employee at VIOFO trying to sabotage the company or if it is a group of very stupid people spending weeks thinking of ways to anger the customer but I would never bye another product of theirs.

I saw that Viofo is only improving things. It is not a company which is looking to cut the production costs just to save $0,001 and destroy a product.

This is the car cigarette power adapter without LED you expect, but with a green light smile. So it does have a light which is telling you the adapter is on.

Viofo car cigarette lighter adapter.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Sticky mounts can be easily removed if you warm them up gently (a hair drier maybe) which makes the glue go really soft and it should just peel away.

From what I have seen, Viofo are well respected here.

Sometimes things happen, but in our bad bad world, 10 people seek to complain where only one seeks to compliment in a public arena. I'm sure that Viofo and many many others sell very many more good than bad, and by a large percentage too.

Last edited:
To get a center-mounting on my minivan with scissors wipers I had to use a mirror mount to achieve any discretion. The WR-1 is excellent there, recording 24/7 with good vids reliably. Only a cam like Mobius would be more discreet and then not by a lot. Everything on my WR-1 is set to default because I can't get any apps to work with my new Android tablet (even though it works perfectly with the B1W app) but the cam is pretty good in itself, especially at night :)

I might even buy another WR-1 BUT ONLY WHEN VIOFO GETS THE APPS FIXED. Without that the cam loses over half it's worth :mad:

Phil

I have admit I agree with @SawMaster and the others which are satisfied with Viofo products. I use WR 1 ( not on every day basis ) and I am so far very satisfied with this dashcam. Only time they are need to improve is app. Videos are great,sound is great,not heating too much ( so you not be able to even touch it ), I acn continue but I'll be repeating myself.

OK, but the discussion here is not how satisfied are with WR1 but about a bad Viofo which:
- changed the shape of a mount (and made also the suction cup black after users requests) in recent batches
- using a LED which is not seen by the OP, but is seen by other people
I expects somebody to blame Viofo because made the suction cup black, or because they moved the serial number at the top of the camera just to make the camera even more invisible.

enjoy,
Mtz

OK, but the discussion here is not how satisfied are with WR1 but about a bad Viofo which:
- changed the shape of a mount (and made also the suction cup black after users requests) in recent batches
- using a LED which is not seen by the OP, but is seen by other people
I expects somebody to blame Viofo because made the suction cup black, or because they moved the serial number at the top of the camera just to make the camera even more invisible.

enjoy,
Mtz
OK,maybe I missed subject a little but I wasnt aware they done all that and dont know why.
Maybe,because they are only listen to users.
Maybe they had a good reason thinking they will upgrade it someway to better fit a customers needs.
A lot of maybes,yes,but we now only can guessing.
They change a color of suction cup mount to black? I have to say ( I think,not sure ) that someone here in DCT forum was complaining how his suction cup mount is too noticeable/visible from outside because its white or clearthrough.
Dont know either why they change USB chargers and they are without LED now.
This is picture of top of the dashcam,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/94c0FKMGkHazQxHd2
no serial number on top.
There is serial number on the bottom of a dashcam https://photos.app.goo.gl/YytClbzievshUOcc2
but if you remove this number dashcam is less visible.
This is one of the first units,dont know about latest ones.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On the matter of mounts, I damaged my cam's case trying to use a different mount. In my conversation with Viofo I noted that the case is too thin where the mount slot is, even when the correct mount is used. Viofo went out of his way to help resolve my problem even though he was not obligated to do that since I bought my WR-1 used (y)

In-production upgrades to things like this are common and a good thing as the product is improved, but I agree that it could have been made better-known. Though it is a bit of a hassle changing them out at least now you have a better mount system which I see as a win overall ;) How you see things changes what you see :cool:

Phil

On the matter of mounts, I damaged my cam's case trying to use a different mount
Usually these types of mount system, like on G1W series too, are breaking the camera case because the user is fastening too much the nut of the suction cup or from the fixed mount. It is not hard to imagine and understand that after strong fastening a nut, when trying to rotate the camera the case is forced too much and can break.
These nuts should never be fastened on any dashcam to maximum because the cameras are just few grams, they will not wobble even the nut is a little relaxed.

Dont know either why they change USB chargers and they are without LED now
I will upload my previous picture with the Viofo new charger but now I added text to te picture, hoping people will understand that there is a green LED. In my previous post I wanted to take an interesting/funny picture just because of the position of the charger, to make it... smile. I see now that I was wrong, so I added explanation texts.
Viofo car cigarette lighter adapter.jpg

suction cup mount is too noticeable/visible from outside because its white or clearthrough.
Yes, because of that they made the suction cup black. Also their previous adhesive tape on A119 was too visible because was grey. How many companies are listening the users for such requests and change the production just to satisfy them? Ask some other company to change the color of the suction cup.

if you remove this number dashcam is less visible.
In my country if you will remove that serial number you are losing the warranty. Serial number at the bottom of the camera is visible, but when it is at the top of the camera is almost invisible. So they again listened the users which could break their warranty by removing that sticker and put it in the best position: at the top. This is in recent batches, more recent that the change of suction cup.

============================================================

And dont forget, the title of this thread is: VIOFO The Stupidity Continues
I can say that Viofo was stupid because was not producing black suction cup from the first time and no serial number at the top from the first time, but when a company is implementing very fast good suggestions from the users I can say VIOFO The Improvement Continues.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
On the matter of mounts, I damaged my cam's case trying to use a different mount
Usually these types of mount system, like on G1W series too, are breaking the camera case because the user is fastening too much the nut of the suction cup or from the mount. It is not hard to understand that after strong fastening a nut, when trying to rotate the camera the case is forced too much and can break.
These nuts should never be fastened on any dashcam to maximum because the cameras are just few grams, they will not wobble even the nut is a little relaxed.

Dont know either why they change USB chargers and they are without LED now
I will upload my previous picture with the Viofo new charger but now I added text to te picture, hoping people will understand that there is a green LED. In my previous post I wanted to take an interesting/funny picture just because of the position of the charger, to make it... smile. I see now that I was wrong, so I added explanation texts.
View attachment 35396

suction cup mount is too noticeable/visible from outside because its white or clearthrough.
Yes, because of that they made the suction cup black. Also their previous adhesive tape on A119 was too visible because was grey. How many companies are listening the users for such requests and change the production just to satisfy them? Ask some other company to change the color of the suction cup.

if you remove this number dashcam is less visible.
In my country if you will remove that serial number you are losing the warranty. Serial number at the bottom of the camera is visible, but when it is at the top of the camera is almost invisible. So they again listened the users which could break their warranty by removing that sticker and put it in the best position: at the top. This is in recent batches, more recent that the change of suction cup.

I can say that Viofo was stupid because was not producing black suction cup from the first time and no serial number at the top from the first time, but when a company is implementing very fast good suggestions from the users I can say VIOFO The Improvement Continues.

enjoy,
Mtz
I cant understand a sense of your words,the meaning of your words.
I wasnt saying or never said anything bad about Viofo company,did I?
Also I dont have anything to title of this thread.
I was just saying some of my personal expiriences with WR 1 dashcam from Viofo, and put some pics to prove my words. I am not familiar with new/newer batches tha mine.
Almost forget to add LED light on my USB charger which I got from Viofo is blue and not green like the one you got.

You are from Serbia, I am from Romania, english is not the best from us so maybe we are not understating too well each other. No problem for me. (y)
After your latest quote is a pause. So the latest text from my previous post is general, is not about you. I edited and added some ===== lines to my previous post to make it more separate.
I only replied to your words, explaining more why some things were changed by Viofo. It is not a problem for me to say good or bad for Viofo, you dont need to excuse for me. (y)
LED light on my USB charger which I got from Viofo is blue and not green like the one you got.
First batch have blue LED on one side. Actual batch have a circle green LED light around the adapter. Is not so visible like the first but in complete dark it is a sexy light, not disturbing.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
You are from Serbia, I am from Romania, english is not the best from us so maybe we are not understating too well each other. No problem for me. (y)
After your latest quote is a pause. So the latest text from my previous post is general, is not about you. I added more lines to my post to make it more separate.
I only replied to your words, explaining more why some things were changed by Viofo. It is not a problem for me to say good or bad for Viofo, you dont need to excuse for me. (y)
LED light on my USB charger which I got from Viofo is blue and not green like the one you got.
First batch have blue LED on one side. Actual batch have a circle green LED light around the adapter. Is not so visible like the first but in complete dark it is a sexy light, not disturbing.

enjoy,
Mtz
I didnt understand you are talking in general and not only to me. Yes we are neighbours,but imagine you were talking to me in Romanian and I were talking to you in Serbian,we understood each other even less than in english :)
I also dont have a problem to talk bad about Viofo but so far I am happy with their products and I didnt knew they are handling problems with their products so fast and I salute to that.

Reactions: Mtz
I saw that Viofo is only improving things. It is not a company which is looking to cut the production costs just to save $0,001 and destroy a product.

This is the car cigarette power adapter without LED you expect, but with a green light smile. So it does have a light which is telling you the adapter is on.

View attachment 35380

enjoy,
Mtz
99% of cigarette lighter sockets are recessed in the dash below parts of the dash that stick out farther so the side of this adapter is not visible. An LED on the front would be seen 100% of the time no matter what. There is zero advantage of this design. It's like standing on the roof of your house and trying to see your front door.

Last edited:
Attached is a picture (sorry for the double picture. It either wouldn't display, would show the text of the picture name but clicking on it wouldn't show the picture, or showed the picture twice) showing the arms of the old stick mount on left and the new one on the right. Notice the difference in the red boxes. Of course there was no reason to change this along with the area on the camera where it mounts except for someone to justify their job.

When I saw this I thought I could just put the new arm in the old sticky mount holder but as you can see the size of the pivot ball is different between the two. Viofo wanted to make sure they weren't interchangeable to discourage people from getting the camera replaced under warranty.

IMG_20180104_114104732_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

enjoy,
Mtz

Name one good suggestion that was implemented very fast.

Taking a cigarette plug adapter with an LED that was visible in all conditions and making a dim LED on the side that 99% of people can't see? Why not put the LED near the tip of the adapter so it is completely hidden inside the car's cigarette socket when plugged in?

They made one minute files that was included in every wifi camera ever made except theirs and it took them 4 months to do that. Then they added image flip and stopped the beeping on playback but changed the compressed file format to an uncommon one requiring people to search for and download new software to uncompress it.

Last edited:
I would also like to thank VIOFO for NOT including an extra sticky pad for the sticky pad mount like they did with the previous WR1 I had. I also thought they included string to remove the sticky pad mount but I guess since they are now too cheap to include an extre sticky pad mount there is no reason to include string. More of those NON-improvements.

OMG!!!!!!!! No STRING? What are they thinking? Where do they expect us to find STRING?

:p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
P WR1 365
Back