Viofo V3 and Sandisk High Endurance C10, U3, Problem

makeitrain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the VIofo V3 for about 6 weeks now. Most recently, the Viofo has been beeping after 5 mins of driving. I can see that when it hits the 30 second mark, it freezes a bit, then beeps 3 times, then the clock resets on the file timer on the screen and it begins recording the next segment. This happens for a couple times, but in some cases, it can recover and moves on.

It has been happening more frequently now, like three to four times a week. If I format the memory card, the problem will go away for a few days and then re-appear.

I don't understand. This is a 32GB Sandisk High Endurance memory card. One of the top rated, best ones, for video camera recording. So I'm curious why the camera is complaining....

32GB is fairly small, the memory cells will get written to 4x as often as with a 128GB which seems to be what most people are using these days. Since memory cards generally wear out after a fixed number of write cycles it means the 32GB card will wear out 4x faster. Since Sandisk High Endurance cards don't claim to have a very impressive write count life my guess is that you have worn it out.

How long has it been in use?
And is it recording 24/7?

Suggest a Samsung High Endurance next time, and remember that 2x the size will last 2x longer so is normally better value (often with the exception of the very largest capacity). The Viofo MLC cards are a good alternative, not sure how long they last, nobody seems to have worn one out yet!

This is a 32GB Sandisk High Endurance memory card

I was looking at the specs for them vs the Samsung equivalent recently and they didn't seem that good?

Are you using the in camera format option or doing it on a PC?

Over here in the UK every high street shop that sells SDCards sells Sandisk and at bargain basement prices. They are everywhere. If you want one of the purported more reliable brands like say Samsung, then it's online only and in those circumstances avoid the likes of Ebay and Amazon Marketplace.

You should try buying them in shops here in Australia! The cards stocked are a very limited selection and you can often find the same card for 1/3 the price online (from reputable stores.)

I was looking at the specs for them vs the Samsung equivalent recently and they didn't seem that good?

Are you using the in camera format option or doing it on a PC?

I formatted it first time with PC. Then every time it complains about the memory card, I used the camera to format it. I think I formatted it maybe 6 times. The notification is getting more frequent. 1 a day now. Either the camera is broken or the memory card. For the moment, I put in an old Blackvue 16GB memory card. It does not complain yet, we'll see.

I'll run the memory card test on the Samsung.

The card is being used everytime we drive. I don't drive that often. Maybe 1 hour a day maximum. The card is 32GB high endurance, the white one as I mentioned. This is supposed to be their best one targeted for endurance and specifically targeted for continuous sequential write for cameras. It is specifically marketed for cameras.

Secondly, I have BlackVue 590 and 450 in my wife and mom's car all running 16GB BlackVue memory card for years now. I doubt capacity places a major role in the first year. Third, this memory card I bought as the same time I bought the Viofo V3. So about 6 weeks ago. Now, it is exhibiting this behavior. Premature failure? I'm not sure.

-------------
  • Ideal for dash cams and home monitoring systems
  • Designed for high endurance so you can record for up to 20,000 hours with no worries (Actual hours of video saved less. Up to 20,000 hours for 256GB; 10,000 hours for 128GB; 5,000 hours for 64GB; and 2,500 hours for 32GB.)
  • Built for and tested in harsh conditions; temperature-proof, waterproof, shockproof and x-ray-proof (Card only.)
  • Save more videos with capacities up to 256GB (1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Actual user storage less.)
  • Record and save more Full HD or 4K videos(3) with capacities up to 256GB (Compatible device required. Full HD (1920x1080) and/or 4K UHD (3840x2160) video support may vary based on host device, file attributes, usage conditions and other factors.)
  • 2-year manufacturer warranty

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4
Just ran h2wtest. Passed no issues.
Also ran FAKEFLASHTEST v1.1.1, writes and read verifies. Also passed 30432MB, tested and ok.

Now I'm beginning to suspect the camera is bad...

but let me report back in a week. I have switched to using the Blackvue 16GB. Then I also have a spare Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro.

I've just had a second memory card die in a week. :mad:

It had been working fine in a new A119V3 for a couple of trips, but today I heard what I thought was the sunroof squeaking. No, it was the rear dash cam alert. When I had a chance to check it "Memory Card Error" was displayed. In camera formatting didn't fix it. I checked on my PC and Windows recognises it being plugged into the card reader (shows a notification for a new "G:/ drive") but then that drive doesn't appear in File Explorer. Swap another card in and it reads it fine.

It was an older spare Sandisk Ultra 32GB- I'd swapped it in because of the other card failing. I've had a few of them fail in the past.

A new Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB arrived this morning luckily (good timing!) I've got the A119V3 running with that card the moment- out of the car. I'll post up if it fails or runs okay; I'm running 2560x1440 with the highest bit rate.

I haven't driven the car enough yet but so far in 1 day of driving. It didn't complain about the Blackvue 16GB card. I have no idea what the specs are on the Blackvue 16GB card.

The Samsung Pro Endurance is still going, I'll leave it running until late tonight.

It's rated on the packet as Class 10, U1, read speed 100MB/s, write 30MB/s.

For a comparison, a Samsung EVOPlus 128GB is Class10, U3, read speed 100MB/s, write 90MB/s.

Whilst some cards specs look fine on paper some makes just don't want to play ball with some cameras.

Of all the complaints I've seen posted across various forums Sandisk seem to be mentioned a lot.

The Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB ran fine from 2-11pm yesterday (out of the car) and for a ~1hr trip in the car this morning perfectly.

Since the V3 came out. Prior to that a V2, prior to that a Nextbase 380, prior to that a Nextbase 412.

Run it through crystaldiskmark and see how it performs

This test matters with today's extremely high 4K write-speeds. Many card specs list average write speed, and if one segment happens to go slower than the cam needs you'll get the card warning. The spec you need is minimum write speed throughout the whole card which this test will give you ;)

Dashcams have always been picky about which cards they work well with, and the more we ask of the card the fewer there are which perform adequately. Best to choose and use only a card which other owners of your cam have had good success with :)

Phil

It has been more than a month now with the spare Blackvue 16GB card. I'm happy to say that the BlackVue 16GB card is working fine and not being complained by the Viofo V3. Thus, I have reached the conclusion that the brand new 32GB Sandisk High Endurance 'white' card is unable to meet the requirements of the Viofo. This is both shocking and bizarre as the Sandisk High Endurance is their highest performance sequential write card that was engineered specifically for dash cameras and security cameras and I would assume they put most of their prowess into sequential constant write.

Suffice to say, I will not be purchasing any more Sandisk brand memory cards for dash cams in the future.

Back