VIOFO WM1 1-Channel Dash Camera Review - RCG

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I review the VIOFO WM1 1-channel dash camera. I compare the WM1 with the VIOFO A119 Mini and the Vantrue E1 dash cameras.

VIOFO provided me a very early test WM1 in 2022. VIOFO also provided to me two production WM1 dash cameras so that I could test the WM1 with the WDR feature on and off and with and without CPL filters.

Hey RCG, thanks for the review which I found very interesting. Thanks both to you and Panzer for all of your in-depth testing of this camera.

If I understand correctly, when you long press the MIC button you can change the video codec from x265 to x264 and back again. Do I need to pause recording to do this and is there an audible alert to tell me the switch has taken place? There is no way to do this on the phone app, correct?

I was wondering if you have noticed file compression in H.264 results in slightly better image quality, especially at night.

Here are the feature comparison, Q&A and Pros & Cons pages from the review:

Feature Comparison

viofo_wm1_review_features_1.jpg viofo_wm1_review_features_2.jpg

Q&A

viofo_wm1_review_q_and_a.jpg

Final Thoughts - Pros & Cons

viofo_wm1_review_pros_and_cons.jpg

Hey RCG, thanks for the review which I found very interesting. Thanks both to you and Panzer for all of your in-depth testing of this camera.

If I understand correctly, when you long press the MIC button you can change the video codec from x265 to x264 and back again. Do I need to pause recording to do this and is there an audible alert to tell me the switch has taken place? There is no way to do this on the phone app, correct?

I was wondering if you have noticed file compression in H.264 results in slightly better image quality, especially at night.
If the WM1 is recording and you long press the <MIC> button, you'll hear the "double beep" start because the WM1 just stopped recording and then you'll hear a single confirmation beep indicating the codec change has been successfully completed.

My VIOFO WM1 has been in operation since early summer now and I really enjoy it. Everything works with great quality video and the app is nice for viewing. 1 downside is the download speed is exceptionally slow. Very good unit for basic users.

Back