VIOFO's A129 Duo

Anyone receive the new 3 wire hardwire kit beta testing firmware? For testing 3rd party hardwire kit?

Will there be a firmware update for automatic daylight savings time adjustments?

Will there be a firmware update for automatic daylight savings time adjustments?

I would say not, it's a lot of work to program that for very little gain, it requires a huge database of location information to be able to work, if you don't have that information compiling would be a massive task

I would say not, it's a lot of work to program that for very little gain, it requires a huge database of location information to be able to work, if you don't have that information compiling would be a massive task
I wouldn’t expect Viofo, or anyone else for that matter, to maintain a database of locations and their various DST rules/dates. What I was thinking was a simple setting like the one found on CCTV DVR’s. For example:

C6FD79A3-0C8B-45E8-955B-708E1F958585.png

Last edited:
I wouldn’t expect Viofo, or anyone else for that matter, to maintain a database of locations and their various DST rules/dates. What I was thinking was a simple setting like the one found on CCTV DVR’s. For example:

View attachment 40081

that would be a simpler method but still a lot of coding required as currently it's not something which is in the SDK

View attachment 40082
What does item 4 do?
And why do you specify "Sun." for the start and end time? If "Sun." is short for Sunday then it is only going to work 1 year in 7 since Sunday doesn't always fall on the 1st :unsure:

Much easier to just leave it on GMT, then there is no confusion on the day in they autumn when there are two times with the same timestamp or when you drive across timezone boundaries, or when you drive across the border between countries with different DST settings!

And why do you specify "Sun." for the start and end time? If "Sun." is short for Sunday then it is only going to work 1 year in 7 since Sunday doesn't always fall on the 1st :unsure:

that's the first Sunday, not Sunday the 1st

What does item 4 do?

Much easier to just leave it on GMT, then there is no confusion on the day in they autumn when there are two times with the same timestamp or when you drive across timezone boundaries, or when you drive across the border between countries with different DST settings!
The example above is for American DST. It starts on the 2nd Sunday of March at 2:00am and ends the 1st Sunday of November at 2:00am. Item 4 tells it if it’s based on a “Week” setting (such as the American DST dates), or you can select “Day” if you live in a country where the DST offset occurs on a specific day of the month. You are making it out to be much more complicated and confusing than it is. This system is used on nearly all CCTV DVR’s in the world, and is actually quite simple and future proof.

The example above is for American DST. It starts on the 2nd Sunday of March at 2:00am and ends the 1st Sunday of November at 2:00am. Item 4 tells it if it’s based on a “Week” setting (such as the American DST dates), or you can select “Day” if you live in a country where the DST offset occurs on a specific day of the month. You are making it out to be much more complicated and confusing than it is. This system is used on nearly all CCTV DVR’s in the world, and is actually quite simple and future proof.
Well it may make sense to the USA, but what about the Irish who use normal time in the summer. and change timezones for their winter time?

I still think it is much easier and more accurate to leave it on GMT, or if you never drive between timezones or across DST boundaries then set it to your timezone and forget DST.

Well it may make sense to the USA, but what about the Irish who use normal time in the summer. and change timezones for their winter time?

those values can be set to whatever you need, summer or winter has no relevance, I agree that it would be a convenience of sorts to have this but it's a lot of coding to achieve a minimal gain

You are making it much more complicated than it needs to be. For Ireland you would set the DST start date to LAST Sunday of March at 1:00am and end date to LAST Sunday of October at 2:00am.

If you travel across multiple time zones then I agree with you that it’s better to leave it at UTC+0 and keep the optional DST mode OFF.

Thank you to everyone for their detailed reviews on this camera. I just pulled the trigger on an A129 Duo on eBay using the 25 off coupon for $97 shipped.

You are making it much more complicated than it needs to be. For Ireland you would set the DST start date to LAST Sunday of March at 1:00am and end date to LAST Sunday of October at 2:00am.
Yes, that would work, as long as you set your timezone to UTC+0 instead of Irish Standard Time which is UTC+1 :)

spytec sells it on their website for 169 like all the other places..... wonder why they would sell it on eBay for $98. or $122 whatever... something seems fishy here.....

Only thing I can think of is that eBay is funding the promotion in order to combat Amazon's Prime Day event. Whatever it is, I ordered one. I was going to anyways, but was going to wait until the new parking wire kit came out.

spytec sells it on their website for 169 like all the other places..... wonder why they would sell it on eBay for $98. or $122 whatever... something seems fishy here.....

They were selling it for $122. The $25 off was a site wide ebay coupon.

you guys got a nice deal. I payed full price couple weeks ago lol. now i'm just waiting another month(so they say) for Viofo to produce the CPL Filter, and the hard wire Kit, and the Bluetooth button... which will drive the $169 price to over $200 easily being the CPL filters are expected to be like $15 each. and the hardwire kit more money, and the bluetooth button even more money.. lol Being that the A129 is a Duo Kit product it should of came with the CPL Filter being it really is needed in the sun, and hardwire kit that almost every other brand includes and the bluetooth button too, for the $169 price it should of all been inclusive... Oh well its still cheaper then the Blackvue 900S that is bad in the dark and has heating problems for over $600 with their brand card that you are forced to use cause others have problems lol. guess no dash cam is perfect and there are so many lol

Last edited:
There’s still some available at this price. Seems like the stock trickles in every so often.

Back