VIOFO's A129 Duo

Inconvenient if the camera is hidden behind the rear view mirror.
You can disable the parking mode permanently via camera/smartphone menu. If you want to decide ad hoc when to disable the parking mode and when not, you can disable it via smartphone and then turn the car off. There is no menu item in smartphone allowing you to switch the cam off.

It is so strange that even I disable Parking Mode from the Camera menu, it continues to record in parking mode even ignition is off. So we can say that firmware doesn't control the Battery cable in 3-wire kit. If It gets electricity from that cable, it starts recording. Sounds very strange. I think there is a firmware issue or we set up something wrong.

Edit: I've one more question. Is there anyone who is being disturbed by the white noise of the camera too? I've checked sample videos at this topic and there is very clear white noise with them too. Or does this only affect me :)

The camera probably does not recognized the parking mode. There are two ways to activate the parking mode:
  • there is not detected any movements by GPS
  • the hardwire kit sends to the camera the signal that the ACC voltage is off
If you want to use the second option, you must connect the usb cable to the camera USB port and not the GPS/mount USB port. Is that your issue?

Because if I were to do it I would have to move the mirror every time. The only convenient place to put the camera on the Ioniq is to the right of the mirror. On a right-hand drive car (correct side ) the mirror is almost touching the camera. With it place there though it complies with current UK regulations, whilst still being in the swept area of the wipers.

You can disable the parking mode permanently via camera/smartphone menu. If you want to decide ad hoc when to disable the parking mode and when not, you can disable it via smartphone and then turn the car off. There is no menu item in smartphone allowing you to switch the cam off.

The camera probably does not recognized the parking mode. There are two ways to activate the parking mode:
  • there is not detected any movements by GPS
  • the hardwire kit sends to the camera the signal that the ACC voltage is off
If you want to use the second option, you must connect the usb cable to the camera USB port and not the GPS/mount USB port. Is that your issue?

It is connected to the camera from the right side not to gps. And I'm saying that I want to disable/enable park mode via the app. Once I need it I will activate and power off the car. I am using 3 wire kit. I think this should work in that way. But from above answers by folks, it sounds so strange. I dont have too much time for now but I'll test it deeply.

Because if I were to do it I would have to move the mirror every time. The only convenient place to put the camera on the Ioniq is to the right of the mirror. On a right-hand drive car (correct side ) the mirror is almost touching the camera. With it place there though it complies with current UK regulations, whilst still being in the swept area of the wipers.
What is the problem with moving the mirror? My mirror is designed to move!

So's mine but that would be a bind, just like using Android Auto.
Only if you do it often, normally there is no need to press any buttons, except maybe the lock button, but the best solution for that is to use the remote control, much easier to press. You should not be pressing the buttons on the camera while driving.

It is connected to the camera from the right side not to gps. And I'm saying that I want to disable/enable park mode via the app. Once I need it I will activate and power off the car. I am using 3 wire kit. I think this should work in that way. But from above answers by folks, it sounds so strange. I dont have too much time for now but I'll test it deeply.
This should work. I will test it as well.

Only if you do it often, normally there is no need to press any buttons, except maybe the lock button, but the best solution for that is to use the remote control, much easier to press. You should not be pressing the buttons on the camera while driving.
I think he was referring to manually switching off the camera daily, so he can have HW parking mode during the day wherever he is parked, but have the camera off overnight when the car is on the driveway or in the garage.

I tested the deactivating of the parking mode. My camera is permanently set to low bitrate parking mode. As I said, I will manually switch the camera off when I don't want to use the parking mode. But today I tested this functionality via the smartphone app. So when I parked, I had to stop the recording manually and enable the camera wifi (I have the wifi disabled all the time because I heard that the quality of normal video is lowered when it is enabled). Then I had to switch the mobile internet off in my smartphone and then I could connect to the camera using the app. I have problem with connecting my smartphone to the wifi. Almost every time I have to open the wifi menu in smartphone firstly and then the smartphone finally connects to the camera. So when connected the smartphone to the camera, I started the smartphone app, opened the settings and disabled the parking mode. Then I turned the car off and the camera was turned off as well. There are several of actions you probably cannot avoid:
  • If you want the best video quality, you have to activate/deactivate the camera wifi each time you want to connect to it. As I read the video quality is lowered when wifi is active.
  • You have to disconnect the mobile phone from the mobile internet to be able to connect the smartphone to the camera.
  • You have to manually stop the video recording because you cannot enter the camera settings when it is recording.
I think it is a bit complicated. No problem if you are patient person. But for me it is problem and I wouldn't want to do this every time.

Last edited:
I tested the deactivating of the parking mode. My camera is permanently set to low bitrate parking mode. As I said, I will manually switch the camera off when I don't want to use the parking mode. But today I tested this functionality via the smartphone app. So when I parked, I had to stop the recording manually and enable the camera wifi (I have the wifi disabled all the time because I heard that the quality of normal video is lowered when it is enabled). Then I had to switch the mobile internet off in my smartphone and then I could connect to the camera using the app. I have problem with connecting my smartphone to the wifi. Almost every time I have to open the wifi menu in smartphone firstly and then the smartphone finally connects to the camera. So when connected the smartphone to the camera, I started the smartphone app, opened the settings and disabled the parking mode. Then I turned the car off and the camera was turned off as well. There are several of actions you probably cannot avoid:
  • If you want the best video quality, you have to activate/deactivate the camera wifi each time you want to connect to it. As I read the video quality is lowered when wifi is active.
  • You have to disconnect the mobile phone from the mobile internet to be able to connect the smartphone to the camera.
  • You have to manually stop the video recording because you cannot enter the camera settings when it is recording.
I think it is a bit complicated. No problem if you are patient person. But for me it is problem and I wouldn't want to do this every time.
I see WiFi on any dashcam as being useful only for occasional setup changes and downloading a video file directly to a phone. Even less useful on a camera that already has a screen for live view and an OSD menu. I think WiFi is too time consuming to use daily for switching between modes.

If you hadn't said that it was low-bitrate then watching on YouTube I would never have guessed!
I find low bitrate to be more than adequate for parking video, since I tend to park in low speed areas like parking lots. If I frequently parked at the side of a busy road I might prefer continuous full bitrate video.

Correct, the quality is slightly reduced. There is less of a reduction if you are using 2.4g connection.

You should not need to disconnect from mobile internet it should just connect. When you say mobile internet what do you mean? Do you mean a WiFi hotspot, or data connection?

If you turn on WiFi and then connect to it, open the Viofo app then you can stop it recording on the app you don’t have to touch the camera at all.

Regarding parking mode, I have added a switch to my HK3 which enables me to have exactly what you are wanting. Parking mode is activated in the settings and when the switch is at position ‘1’ the camera functions normally, records normally when driving and when ignition is off it switches to time lapse parking mode. However, with the switch at ‘0’ the camera only records while driving and when the ignition is switched off the camera cuts off too, PM is still activated in the settings.

I have positioned the switch next to my left knee so I can flip it whenever I need to. 90% of the time I just record my journey, if I’m parking anywhere other than at home then I flick the switch during my journey so that PM kicks in when I park up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, the quality is slightly reduced. There is less of a reduction if you are using 2.4g connection.

You should not need to disconnect from mobile internet it should just connect. When you say mobile internet what do you mean? Do you mean a WiFi hotspot, or data connection?

If you turn on WiFi and then connect to it, open the Viofo app then you can stop it recording on the app you don’t have to touch the camera at all.

Regarding parking mode, I have added a switch to my HK3 which enables me to have exactly what you are wanting. Parking mode is activated in the settings and when the switch is at position ‘1’ the camera functions normally, records normally when driving and when ignition is off it switches to time lapse parking mode. However, with the switch at ‘0’ the camera only records while driving and when the ignition is switched off the camera cuts off too, PM is still activated in the settings.

I have positioned the switch next to my left knee so I can flip it whenever I need to. 90% of the time I just record my journey, if I’m parking anywhere other than at home then I flick the switch during my journey so that PM kicks in when I park up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't need to change the cam settings via smartphone. I just test it to be able to answer to @persmash .

You are right that it is not needed to stop the camera via it's button. It is ok to stop it in the app. But you must start the wifi using the button.

The smartphone connection to the cam does not work when the mobile data are turned on. I can connect to the wifi of the cam but when I start the app, it cannot connect to the the cam. I don't know if it is only my issue but I don't care because I don't use the app.

I turn the camera off every time I park at home. I use the camera button and it is easy for me. I don't need the switch now. But it is good idea.

@Harsh do you prefer the time lapse or low bit rate for parking mode? Also which one has the higher quality?

I don't need to change the cam settings via smartphone. I just test it to be able to answer to @persmash .

You are right that it is not needed to stop the camera via it's button. It is ok to stop it in the app. But you must start the wifi using the button.

The smartphone connection to the cam does not work when the mobile data are turned on. I can connect to the wifi of the cam but when I start the app, it cannot connect to the the cam. I don't know if it is only my issue but I don't care because I don't use the app.

I turn the camera off every time I park at home. I use the camera button and it is easy for me. I don't need the switch now. But it is good idea.
No, it isn't just your issue, I too have to disable cell data connection to be able to fully connect. It seems to be an issue with modern smartphone software.

No, it isn't just your issue, I too have to disable cell data connection to be able to fully connect. It seems to be an issue with modern smartphone software.
Not my case. I don't disable anything, just connect via wifi. Anyway cell data connection gets off by itself when you connect with camera wifi.
Samsung Galaxy S8.

Back