VIOFO's A129 Duo

Regarding parking mode, I have added a switch to my HK3 which enables me to have exactly what you are wanting. Parking mode is activated in the settings and when the switch is at position ‘1’ the camera functions normally, records normally when driving and when ignition is off it switches to time lapse parking mode. However, with the switch at ‘0’ the camera only records while driving and when the ignition is switched off the camera cuts off too, PM is still activated in the settings.
Please give more details ( electric schema ) about the switch instalation to understand how it works. I want to see which wire cut/enable that switch.
Thanks !

Ok guys I made a prior post about trying to decide on a dash cam. with some guidance and research I believe I have decided on the Viofo A129 with GPS mount. I only want to get the front camera now and have the option to add the rear camera later. I spoke to Spytec and they do not have that option. I also am having a terrible time looking at the amazon options and being able to tell if they are the most current camera and not a previous versions. very confusing. I also believe I saw an offering that indicated 5k and 2.4K wifi. Spytec said not available. Whats the deal? can someone link me to the most current A129 without the rear cam and confirm I will be able to add in the future?

Viofo A129 is only one version and have dual band Wi-Fi. It can be with GPS antenna or not.
If you will buy any A129 from the market now you can add later a rear camera or an IR camera.
Viofo A129 Duo have already the rear camera included in the package.
Viofo A129 Duo-IR will have an infrared camera for interior recording included in the package.

enjoy,
Mtz

@jpohling
In my country we can buy the front camera ( 5K and 2.4k wifi ) with GPS, and separately the rear camera.
I think that everywhere must be the same offer, you must only search more.

Ok guys I made a prior post about trying to decide on a dash cam. with some guidance and research I believe I have decided on the Viofo A129 with GPS mount. I only want to get the front camera now and have the option to add the rear camera later. I spoke to Spytec and they do not have that option. I also am having a terrible time looking at the amazon options and being able to tell if they are the most current camera and not a previous versions. very confusing. I also believe I saw an offering that indicated 5k and 2.4K wifi. Spytec said not available. Whats the deal? can someone link me to the most current A129 without the rear cam and confirm I will be able to add in the future?
We have the A129 on Amazon along with the optional rear camera should you want to add that later. All the A129's are the same, so whoever you spoke with at Spytec probably just wasn't familiar with the A129 (or A129 DUO).

Please give more details ( electric schema ) about the switch instalation to understand how it works. I want to see which wire cut/enable that switch.
Thanks !
Realized how by myself. Thanks Janro2009 for the ideea ! (y)

Another question guys, I'm now checking the A129 footage for the first time and I'm a bit of confused, the video quality on broad daylight does not seem very well.

Data:
  • I record in 1080p60
  • No Filter / foil
  • WDR off

I'm also kind of curious because the GPS does not work at all and the seller removed the article on ebay. I don't know what firmware I'm currently using.

Here's a screenshot, I've made with registrator viewer (datakam player). To me it looks like a huge downgrade coming from the A119 and especially the Mobius Action cam v1

Is there an easy way, without opening the camera, to find out if I got a fake model?

Last edited:
Another question guys, I'm now checking the A129 footage for the first time and I'm a bit of confused, the video quality on broad daylight does not seem very well.

Data:
  • I record in 1080p60
  • No Filter / foil
  • WDR off
I'm also kind of curious because the GPS does not work at all and the seller removed the article on ebay. I don't know what firmware I'm currently using.

Here's a screenshot, I've made with registrator viewer (datakam player). To me it looks like a huge downgrade coming from the A119 and especially the Mobius Action cam v1

View attachment 45446

Is there an easy way, without opening the camera, to find out if I got a fake model? Does the LCD screen show a GPS symbol (looks like a satellite dish)?
Firmware version can be seen in the camera menu. I doubt there are any fakes.

I konw that, but my car is gone for a few days, I can't have a look at it now. ;-)

I compared my video to other Viofo A129 footage, seems like there is a not overseeable difference in the lower line.

The first line is from a test video of the A129 which I saw on youtube, the second one is from my camera. Both were the front cameras:

I also checked my video clips with MediaInfo, can somebody recognize anything uncommon (clipname, audio or video codec, sampling, bitrate etc?)

I konw that, but my car is gone for a few days, I can't have a look at it now. ;-)

I compared my video to other Viofo A129 footage, seems like there is a not overseeable difference in the lower line.

The first line is from a test video of the A129 which I saw on youtube, the second one is from my camera. Both were the front cameras:

View attachment 45448

I also checked my video clips with MediaInfo, can somebody recognize anything uncommon (clipname, audio or video codec, sampling, bitrate etc?)

View attachment 45449
Viofo changed the date configuration from / to - in the V1.5 firmware.

Alright, I'll try to check and upgrade the firmware next week.

I already noticed, that I'm recording only in 30 FPS, maybe the 60 FPS make the video a bit better otherwise the camera seems not very useless to recognize other licence plates of moving cars. :cautious:

Alright, I'll try to check and upgrade the firmware next week.

I already noticed, that I'm recording only in 30 FPS, maybe the 60 FPS make the video a bit better otherwise the camera seems not very useless to recognize other licence plates of moving cars. :cautious:
Looks like you have V1.5.
If you still have the A119, you should mount it next to the A129 for a direct comparison.

I just searched for some RAW video clips of the A129, and found some clips to make a side by side comparison of the technical data. And that looks completely identical.

Attachments

• side by side comparison.png
    side by side comparison.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 11
I just searched for some RAW video clips of the A129, and found some clips to make a side by side comparison of the technical data. And that looks completely identical.
What is it that you think is wrong with the image?

I can see that it is lower resolution than the A119, but it is supposed to be, you get better low light performance in return.

Well if you guys think that's normal, then it's fine, I just thought the video is way too grainy, but I guess it's just me.

Well if you guys think that's normal, then it's fine, I just thought the video is way too grainy, but I guess it's just me.
I didn't notice that your image was grainy, but then I can't see it at original resolution, so maybe it is!

I suspect you might prefer it with a high bitrate firmware installed: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129-modified-firmware-mods-archive.35826 . Of course then you don't get as much video on your memory card, compromises must be made, most people seem happy with the standard compromise.

@Nigel
Well I find it looks like when you use a massive overdose of the so called sharpen effect, which is included in almost ever video editing software.

But for me it's ok, when I compare to other A129 videos, not even RAW material, just in YouTube, I assume that I got a A129 with bad video quality.
If I remember it right, there were also big differences regarding the video quality, with the A119.

But it's not a big deal for me, I'm happy that Viofo cameras are not that expensive as other cameras and I like their work anyway.

Well I find it looks like when you use a massive overdose of the so called sharpen effect

The modified firmware developed on DCT reduces the sharpening along with other changes which improves the vid quality noticeably. I think they all started with reducing the over-sharpening IIRC, so it must be an issue.

Phil

No big deal but maybe someone of you has an advice for me:
I'm having problems with a micro SD card. I used this card already in my Mobius camera and after that also in the A129 but the Viofo is kind of not accepting the microSD card anymore.
The card works fine with my android phone or the windows computer. But plugged in the A129 the camera tells that I have to format the card, after formating it several times directly with the camera and also on the windows computer (fat 32) it does not work. The camera continues to tell me that I have to format it.

Did anyone ever had that problem?

20190414_125737.jpg

No big deal but maybe someone of you has an advice for me:
I'm having problems with a micro SD card. I used this card already in my Mobius camera and after that also in the A129 but the Viofo is kind of not accepting the microSD card anymore.
The card works fine with my android phone or the windows computer. But plugged in the A129 the camera tells that I have to format the card, after formating it several times directly with the camera and also on the windows computer (fat 32) it does not work. The camera continues to tell me that I have to format it.

Did anyone ever had that problem?

View attachment 45865
Sandisk cards do seem to be problematic with the majority of dashcams. I would recommend an MLC card for use, but some Samsung cards are ok as are Lexar. Make sure you purchase genuine cards though, as there are many fakes on the market.

Back