Viofo's Electrostatic Sticker - Which Layer/Piece Do You Use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased the A129 Pro Duo. I want to use the 2 electrostatic stickers that come in the box.

I'm a little confused about which piece is the actual sticker. The electrostatic sticker consists of 3 sheets. The first sheet is thin plastic. The middle is also thin plastic. And the third is smaller, rectangular, and plastic. So, which one is the actual electrostatic sticker? I initially assumed the thick plastic would be, but then what's the purpose of the thin middle piece? And, if it's the thin middle piece, why is the third smaller piece so thick?

I'm confused. :banghead:

Are you sure it’s not a replacement 3M adhesive piece? Are both sides sticky?

Not that way here with the sticker i used for the T130, it was just the clear static part and then the white glossy paper it was stuck to, so peeled the clear off, and put on windscreen and then stuck the sticky pad to that.
Could be your part is a accidental 2 layer ?

Not that way here with the sticker i used for the T130, it was just the clear static part and then the white glossy paper it was stuck to, so peeled the clear off, and put on windscreen and then stuck the sticky pad to that.
Could be your part is a accidental 2 layer ?

I think you're right. There are 2 transparent very thin layers. I think there are two by accident. So, you are supposed to use the thicker plastic piece.

I got the Duo so both stickers came with 2 extra-thin layers, so that adds to the confusion. But, I tried using either of these thin layers and they definitely don't stick to the glass. The thicker plastic piece isn't exactly sticky but it does stay put. Mystery solved! Thanks!

*Viofo should include this in the instructions.

Are you sure it’s not a replacement 3M adhesive piece? Are both sides sticky?

It wasn't a replacement adhesive piece. It actually states it's the electrostatic sticker. I think the 2 thin layers are there by accident and just makes it confusing.

Hopefully, this thread will help anyone else that buys a recent Viofo A129 and is confused.

I cut a small piece out of the pad with my camera, it was only like 1.5 X 2 inch, and that have held the T130 camera firm for most of the year so far, no need to waste the whole piece of static film.

It was my first time using this approach to mounting as normally i mount on the dotted area at the top / mid of the windscreen in front of the roof mounted mirror, but that place was taken up by 4 other cameras, so had to mount the T130 pretty much right in front of the driver.
The static film only work on a smooth surface, and the dotted area in my car is like it is painted on the inside so pretty sure it would not work there, other cars it might work though.

I cut a small piece out of the pad with my camera, it was only like 1.5 X 2 inch, and that have held the T130 camera firm for most of the year so far, no need to waste the whole piece of static film.

It was my first time using this approach to mounting as normally i mount on the dotted area at the top / mid of the windscreen in front of the roof mounted mirror, but that place was taken up by 4 other cameras, so had to mount the T130 pretty much right in front of the driver.
The static film only work on a smooth surface, and the dotted area in my car is like it is painted on the inside so pretty sure it would not work there, other cars it might work though.

That's a great idea!

I should have thought of that before I used up the entire piece. The film actually worked on the dotted area of my window. Completely sticks. I cleaned it with alcohol first. Might differ in other cars though.

Yes some windscreens those dots are like baked into the glass, other it seem to be on the surface but still smooth, in my car it is not a dotted area it is more like the grid pattern left over after using the dots on another windscreen, and it is a coarse texture.

Also depending on where you put the static sticker you might not have room for it all above the camera, and it would be a pity to have the not perfectly clear plastic in view of the lens.

What matter is we learn, and next time we will do better.

Back