Voltage Detection not working. Killing battery

Spetnaut

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Q800Pro, it is hardwired. It is hardwired correctly, going into parking mode and back with vehicle turning on and off. I have it set at 12.2volts, but twice now it has gone beyond that and drained my battery to the point I needed a jump.

Hi there, can you please send us your last parking recording clip before the dash cam turned off? Thanks!

Hi there, can you please send us your last parking recording clip before the dash cam turned off? Thanks!
There was no recording at the time it drained my battery. It was set on the parking mode to detect motion / impact. There was no motion / impact as it was in my garage.
Perhaps this is the problem, if it is not actively recording it does not detect voltage?

The battery on my vehicle has NEVER drained until two days after switching from a Viofo, which was also hardwired, to a thinkware.

Last edited:
How do you know that the dash cam is going into parking mode? Just to confirm, you hardwired your Q800PRO using a Thinkware hardwiring Cable?

How do you know that the dash cam is going into parking mode? Just to confirm, you hardwired your Q800PRO using a Thinkware hardwiring Cable?
Yes I used a thinkware hardwire kit. When it goes into parking mode it announces it is entering it. And when I turn the vehicle back on it gives a recap of motion and incident events.

The only way the dash cam will not activate voltage protection mode in parking mode is if the battery's voltage is lower then the threshold. They best way to check this is to look at the parking mode recordings to see what the voltage of the battery is.

The only way the dash cam will not activate voltage protection mode in parking mode is if the battery's voltage is lower then the threshold. They best way to check this is to look at the parking mode recordings to see what the voltage of the battery is.
There is no recording as there was no motion or impact at the time. The dash cam is still using power to monitor for these events. As I stated I have it set at 12.2, and it continues to run past that voltage. There is something wrong with this unit, it is defective or there is a bug in the software.

@Spetnaut We have had this issue before, when you turn off your vehicle the voltage will drop to 12.1 for example and the voltage protection will not trigger as the voltage in parking mode was already below the threshold. We would be happy to exchange your unit although we do not think this will resolve your issue. For an exchange please contact our support team. Email: support@thinkware.com or Phone: 1-844-865-9273

@Spetnaut We have had this issue before, when you turn off your vehicle the voltage will drop to 12.1 for example and the voltage protection will not trigger as the voltage in parking mode was already below the threshold. We would be happy to exchange your unit although we do not think this will resolve your issue. For an exchange please contact our support team. Email: support@thinkware.com or Phone: 1-844-865-9273
If this is the case, it is surely an issue. The camera should not even enter parking mode and power off immediately. Please update the firmware to prevent this from happening again.

So I had my Q800 replaced and I am still experiencing the same Issue. I have it set at 12.2 cut off, it is runs the battery past this every time. It even displays 12.1, 12, and so on, on the parking video. I have verified the battery voltage is higher then 12.2 before entering parking mode with a volt meter. This is a huge problem and needs to be fixed. If this can not be rectified I would like my money back and I will purchase another camera.

One thing I noticed with the Q800 (sorry to bump an old thread) is that even when on the bench with a 12V power supply, when you go into live view it thinks it's 11.3V. Calibrated to exactly 12.00V input but in live view it shows that it is registering it as 11.2V now. My concern is that once it's installed it won't shutdown if the car is parked for a period of time.

what is everyone seeing as running voltage in the live view under normal circumstances?

I don't mean to hijack a thread but thought this may be a similar issue.. voltage measurement may be not accurate.

Screenshot_20200104-191006_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg

I have a Q800Pro, it is hardwired. It is hardwired correctly, going into parking mode and back with vehicle turning on and off. I have it set at 12.2volts, but twice now it has gone beyond that and drained my battery to the point I needed a jump.
Do u get fixed. I have same problem and Red light warning not work.

If this is the case, it is surely an issue. The camera should not even enter parking mode and power off immediately. Please update the firmware to prevent this from happening again.
Replacing the dashcam worked? I updated the firmware not work. Purchased the unit 1.5years ago

One thing I noticed with the Q800 (sorry to bump an old thread) is that even when on the bench with a 12V power supply, when you go into live view it thinks it's 11.3V. Calibrated to exactly 12.00V input but in live view it shows that it is registering it as 11.2V now. My concern is that once it's installed it won't shutdown if the car is parked for a period of time.

what is everyone seeing as running voltage in the live view under normal circumstances?

I don't mean to hijack a thread but thought this may be a similar issue.. voltage measurement may be not accurate.

View attachment 50106
I put to highest voltage, it does not help. I think thinkware has problem... Not planning to purchase the thinkware next time...I am Korean and trying to support the company. Going with Garmin.....

I put to highest voltage, it does not help. I am thinkware has problem... Not a safe issue so no recalls. Unless it starts the fires.. Not planning to purchase the thinkware next time...I am Korean and trying to support the company. Going with Garmin.....

Is there an update on this issue? Has it been fixed in the latest firmware?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Q800 / Q800 PRO 3
1 Q800 / Q800 PRO 4
Back