Volvo Owner Replaces His Door Chime With Toto's 'Africa'

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
It would kind of nice to pick a custom theme song instead of hearing the standard chime noise.

https://jalopnik.com/true-hero-of-our-time-replaced-his-volvos-door-chime-wi-1823629350

Video in the link above if you're mobile (FB doesn't seem to embed properly anymore)
https://www.facebook.com/chris.ng.9655/videos/vb.100000785241509/1695463183823173/

True Hero Of Our Time Replaced His Volvo's Door Chime With Toto's 'Africa'

1520743626561.png

"Image: Chris Ng
Ever just look out at your Volvo 240 in the morning and think, “it’s gonna take a lot to take me away from you?” You should consider swapping your car’s grating door chime for something a little more appropriate.

In case you’ve been hiding under a rock all these years, “Africa” by Toto is one of the prized staples of 80s cheese-rock. Appreciating this hilariously over-the-top song has become an art form on the Internet. So, Volvo owner Chris Ng one-upped everyone and hacked his 240 to play a simplified version of the song.

The door chime in the Volvo is controlled by a plug-in sound module under the dash, so all it took to install was a quick swap of the stock version for the modified one. The song goes on for a hilariously long time, too—just in case you want to soak it all in for a moment.
Ng told Jalopnik that it’s fairly easy to swap this little module out if you know how to solder things back together. He plans to start a Kickstarter for a small number of cheap, universal modules for people who want to do this themselves.
To make his Volvo play Toto, Ng says that he recorded the song straight to the new module. You can do so with any smartphone or computer. Then the reprogrammed module was rewired into the door ajar circuit for the car—easy peasy.

All things considered, this collision of retro nostalgia in a brown manual Volvo of all things may just be the best thing we’ve seen all week. We’re as sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti that we love this.

UPDATE [11:05 a.m.]: Here’s the exact version of the song used in the Volvo, in case you also need 8-bit Toto in your life:"

I too am hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies to replace the bleeping sound.

Being a old guy that have listened to plenty of music like that playing games,,,,,, well i never want to go back there again.

I have not been in a Volvo since the mid 90ties.
My "Zuki" just "howl if i open the door and the key are in the ignition and or the light switch are on, and its rare the light switch are on cuz all that enable are high beams and fog light, both things i dont use often.
And then of course the seatbelt beep but that dont matter i wear seatbelt now as i can not afford the ticket any more.
Its not like i have wised up and wear the seatbelt cuz well that's safer after all, the fine and my limited income are the sole reason i wear a seatbelt.

And then of course the seatbelt beep but that dont matter i wear seatbelt now as i can not afford the ticket any more.
Its not like i have wised up and wear the seatbelt cuz well that's safer after all, the fine and my limited income are the sole reason i wear a seatbelt.

yeah it's not like China where they sell seatbelt blanks that you clip in to stop the beep

Many here just click the seatbelt behind them, this way its a little harder for cops in plain cars to spot them as the belt do still come off the B pillar.
Just saw a Beemer boy in the latest cop program having remote RGB light in his headlight, and the cop busting saying "sadly that's not allowed" that was a poor choice of words from a cop i think.
It might be he had empathy for the Beemer boy, but really he should not have that, if people break the law they should be busted nothing sad about that, more of a happy thing if you ask me ( even if its me getting fined )

I'd love to do this on all our work vans :D

Back