VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens, "Snowden W007"

Would you like to have similar solution: Discrete / Stealth cameras / Remote lens / 1,2,4 channel ?

• Total voters
Dont go there Sam369, i have been there done that, and you will hate your self for spending the mony there.
Unless offcourse you do what i did with mine small 4 channel dvr and installed it in my apartment where normal cctv is kinda okay.

Get a 1080P single or dual 1080p setup now, and then upgrade when quad 1080P setups come to marked at a reasonable prize.
I love the concept of 4 cameras, and i hope i can afford to get a quad 1080P setup as soon as they come out in the stores.

Dont go there Sam369, i have been there done that, and you will hate your self for spending the mony there.
Unless offcourse you do what i did with mine small 4 channel dvr and installed it in my apartment where normal cctv is kinda okay.

Get a 1080P single or dual 1080p setup now, and then upgrade when quad 1080P setups come to marked at a reasonable prize.
I love the concept of 4 cameras, and i hope i can afford to get a quad 1080P setup as soon as they come out in the stores.

Myself I am planning to buy 2 x 2ch FullHD = total 4 x 1080p ;)
Because its going to be another 1 ( 2?) years until we see one setup of Quad 1080p. I think quicker is to get 2 x 2ch FullHD.

I am also interested in this kind of setup. Just saw these two on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&isRelated=1&item=360925908936
https://www.ebay.com/itm/171125643768
One problem is video quality is only 720P the best.
What do you guys think?

1. There is only one real 720p 4ch car dvr system out there and its not the one you provided a link.
2. 720p = 1280 x 720. In that link resolution is 720 x 576, which is far away from 720p, its sort of D1

Yeah i dont expect quad setups any time soon, but its okay as i dont have a job, and i am not sure i am well enuff to ever hold a job again.
And as a jobless Dane or on pension dont leave any room for fun and new "toys" so i find my Outlook pretty bleak these days.

I am just about at the end of the mony i got from downgrading my car and selling my house in 2009 + the Little tax refund i got last year and this year

Will proberly have to settle for my current setup, or the same with a slight change ( lookin at jokiin for new front camera,,, maybe )

Okay i might end up with a 3 chan setup if i get jokiins camera for the front, and then move my lukas to the rear and my mobius there to one side.
Allready have my innovv C1 so no need to recycle my mobius to action cam duties.

Thanks, kamkar1. I am not planning to buy one recently. Just interested in the concept of having multiple discrete cameras without blind spot. I currently have a F90G and two A8 on my Ford Fusion. It's kind of one 1080P and three 720p. I bought them without much research, and found that all of them are not so reliable.

1. There is only one real 720p 4ch car dvr system out there and its not the one you provided a link.
2. 720p = 1280 x 720. In that link resolution is 720 x 576, which is far away from 720p, its sort of D1

Sorry about the mistake. What is the one you are talking about? Is it Stack DVR3?

Yeah its nice with multi cams, here in Denmark its 360 degrees of dumbasses driving or just being there.

One allso have to look out for the ammount of frames pr second the gear have, some claim 4 x 720p, but then reading the small print its 4 x 720p at 15 FPS.

Offcourse i got my 4 channel DVR before i found this site :rolleyes: have to be carefull and not get too exited when browsing fleabay and the like.
But luckely i could reuse mine as normal cctv in the Apartment, so i have a camera zoomed in on my car parked behind the block - 1 cam on the street in front of the block- 1 in the peephole in front door, and finally one covering the door in my kitcheb to the back door to the fireescape stairwell.

All illegal cameras as its not allowed for Danes to take care of them self :confused: ( big brother aka the state have to do that )

One day we will have the ideal 4 channel Hi-Rez 1080p or even 4K car DVR. In the meantime, when I buy a new dash cam, as I've done now and again, I repurpose one of the older ones, (DR32 at the moment) as a side window cam in the rear (left) passenger side of my extra cab Toyota pick-up truck. Works great!.... and is almost invisible because the rear side windows have dark tinted glass. Eventually, (soon) I will have 4 cameras facing in all directions. For the time being, this makes for a good "poor man's" solution to a 4 channels system.

One of the important things I have learned that so doesn't seems to have been mention in regard to side view cameras is that 30fps is totally inadequate. When I use a camera facing out a side window of my vehicle I have learned that it needs to be set at 60fps to get any good footage, so for now this means 720p.

Thanks, kamkar1. I am not planning to buy one recently. Just interested in the concept of having multiple discrete cameras without blind spot. I currently have a F90G and two A8 on my Ford Fusion. It's kind of one 1080P and three 720p. I bought them without much research, and found that all of them are not so reliable.

Sorry about the mistake. What is the one you are talking about? Is it Stack DVR3?

No worries, we all do mistakes and here to help each other ;)

THIS ONE 4 x 720p / 30Fps + GPS has been recently released. The only drawback is it records at maximum 4Mbps bit-rate per channel. For good result need at least 10Mbps , best if 12Mbps or very-best 15Mbps..

When I use a camera facing out a side window of my vehicle I have learned that it needs to be set at 60fps to get any good footage, so for now this means 720p.

Majority of dashcams "out there" who advertises 720p/60fps - they actually record double-frame 30 x 2 = 60fps. The only one from popular ones I had in had which records real 60fps at 720p is Panorama- series.

Majority of dashcams "out there" who advertises 720p/60fps - they actually record double-frame 30 x 2 = 60fps. The only one from popular ones I had in had which records real 60fps at 720p is Panorama- series.

Yes, I understand, but I still seem to capture better results/more detail of moving cars out the side window of my vehicle when set to 720p/60fps than 1080p/30.

Yes, I understand, but I still seem to capture better results/more detail of moving cars out the side window of my vehicle when set to 720p/60fps than 1080p/30.

It's more likely just smoother playback, but analyse frame by frame ( "double-frame" ) details reading is same, at least this result was for me what I saw. Maybe for you ( with your dashcam ) is different.

I really think the form factor of the units @Sam369 linked to are the way to go. And the Stack DVR3 is potentially getting close to the video processing throughput required.
Anything less than 1080p/30 shouldn't even be considered nowadays. But I think there is a fair way to go to get the image quality potential of 1080P yet. Pretty much all dashcams even now still don't have good enough image quality. I suspect it's due to over-processing and compression. But detail is lost, often badly.
I wouldn't care if the camera's were the size of a D-cell battery if it means getting the video quality 1080P is capable of. And the main unit size isn't important and could house a processor powerful enough to do the video streaming justice. 4 x 20Mbps perhaps. And a SATA interface for SSD or HDD is essential. Plus an SD card for event recording duplication.

if cost were no object to most dashcam buyers, then we would already be seeing even better than 1080p/30. Unfortunately for those of who'd like better, the vast majority of demand is around the 1080/30 region. So that's what manufacturers deliver, at various prices & quality. Furthermore, given the transition from lesser quality movies in recent years to what we get now. I fully expect that some manufacturer's will be developing new models. To state the obvious, if the demand isn't there, why cater for it?

if cost were no object to most dashcam buyers, then we would already be seeing even better than 1080p/30. Unfortunately for those of who'd like better, the vast majority of demand is around the 1080/30 region. So that's what manufacturers deliver, at various prices & quality. Furthermore, given the transition from lesser quality movies in recent years to what we get now. I fully expect that some manufacturer's will be developing new models. To state the obvious, if the demand isn't there, why cater for it?

If looking into GoPro "phylosophy", I guess Nick Woodman didn't care about how deep pockets customers have. He just wanted to create The best of the best no matter what retail price will be and he succeeded by not prioritizing customers "budget", but by prioritizing customers satisfaction from high-end product, - thats why he NEVER did budget products, or products what present "other" competitors do. He always looked 1,2,3 steps ahead and thats the ONLY way how he succeeded, - its simple !. Thats why when Ambarella gets any new chipset development ready, - first thing they offer solution to him ( or lets say to Chicony, - developer / manufacturer ).

My point is that money is actually is not an object any more! It's hard to believe, but I am more than sure, that in the stage where dashcams where out now are for about decade, now there is a time where there is a huge segment of people to whom cost is not an object, but for some reasons manufacturers dont want to take a risk into doing next big step and creating a high-end ( no money spared ) car dvr solution. I am more than sure that first brave manufacturer who will take approach of same philosophy like Nick Woodman took, - they will have big success. Of course to develop high-end product, its needed a big investment, but this is "problem" for guys who dont know where to invest into. We are here discussing possibilities of demand vs offer. Verdict: demand is there ( here ), - offers ... nothing ! :(

In reply to @spotnz, Which is why I'm not advocating anything higher than 1080p/30. Most manufacturers haven't got the potential video quality out of that yet. As has been said, some 720p systems are achieving better/more detailed recordings than many 1080p systems.

Niko, you're spot on. Good comparison using GoPro too.
I think all the technology and hardware is already available, just need the right combination built into a suitable form factor suitable for vehicle use. Suitable form factors are already available, just not with suitable hardware/software to achieve quality video performance that good hardware/processing can achieve.

Hardware is out there, Firmware-guys are also out there, most practical universal form-factor / solution also has been discussed on forum or directly with some manufacturers, and most important: demand is also out there. Now need to wait until some manufacturer can put together all those compenets and produce it. Of course most manufacturers will act only when there is a direct order from dealer or any other 3rd party who has money, - thats is today concept ( unfortunately ).

factories don't have the finances to build a product and then hope to get an order unfortunately

Yes, thats unfortunate side of this.

anything can be built, funding it is the hard part

There are plenty of wealthy people out there who have a headache " ... where to invest money into ?!" , but unfortunately they don't go to the same Pub where I usually go, LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mollydog Dash Cam Discussion 5
mac Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back