VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens, "Snowden W007"

Would you like to have similar solution: Discrete / Stealth cameras / Remote lens / 1,2,4 channel ?

• Total voters
back on topic... my ideal car dvr setup would be something like this:

replace the entire rearview mirror with one that has something like a 4" touchscreen in it, maybe running android just for the flexibility this offers. NO cameras built into the mirror itself, but GPS could be optionally built into it. have the cameras (at least 2x 1080p) mount remotely and run their leads back to the mirror. the cameras themselves would be very small so they can be easily concealed. i would mount one just below the rearview mirror's mount on the windshield, and another in the center brake light in the back window (if it's at the top of the window), or maybe use a factory-style backup camera (but higher resolution) that can be externally mounted so that it can be used as a backup camera. theoretically you could include 720p pinhole style cameras on each end of the mirror itself to provide view out the driver and passenger windows. there would have to be some way to aim these though, since LHD and RHD cars would have the mirror mounted at different angles, in addition to the angle each driver personally sets the mirror.

using android on the main unit would give so much more flexibility in terms of configuring the device, as well as playback, since it would be a good-sized screen and as long as someone wrote a good UI for it, it would be a piece of cake to operate. you could even load things like OSMAnd to have GPS navigation without needing an internet connection. If the device were made with two microSD card slots, you could have one dedicated to DVR storage, and the other full of music, which could link to your stereo via AUX or bluetooth and have controls/display right on your mirror.

having the mirror be the brains and display would be quite stealthy, especially if there weren't big lenses and things sticking out of the mirror. my main complaint about the rearview mirror DVR that someone was piloting here recently is that the camera sticking out the back was huge. it would get knocked out of aim every time i put up or take down the sunshade in my windshield while parked. having the cameras be separate is not only more discrete, it's more reliable since they're less likely to be bumped out of proper alignment.

my main complaint about the rearview mirror DVR that someone was piloting here recently is that the camera sticking out the back was huge. it would get knocked out of aim every time i put up or take down the sunshade in my windshield while parked. having the cameras be separate is not only more discrete, it's more reliable since they're less likely to be bumped out of proper alignment.

it's not as obtrusive as it may appear

would buy one of these in a heart beat, 2 cams and a separate control box, was looking in to building one myself but have yet to tick all the boxes. near instant auto on, dual 1080p @30fps streams, good mounts and WDR, surprised this hasn't already been done f im honest

hi,

first post for me but I would realy like to put my 2 cent on this because as everybody here I am realy awaiting for such a device from as soon as I discovered the dashcam world some years ago...

As Niko said what we need and ask here is 2ch stealth Ful HD cam setup with centralized control/treatment/recording unit and 24/7 parking recording... all the rest (incl. specs) is mather of preference and could be handled through a central unit with optional functionalities.

On this side I consider the "modular" form factor described here above as the best solution (could be a bit less modular tough to reduce production costs and taking into account that cpu chips often handles more than 1 function but modular mobius/innovv-c3 + supercaps and/or battery and/or batterysaver switch and/or wifi/3g/gps and/or radar detector and/or remote screen or controlkeys as optional modules gives a good idea of it) even if an AXiOM Car Vision 1100 equiped with 2 real good cam could be already close to a must have.

finaly, hereby some reflexions over the specs themselves :
1. as already said when somebody hits you and leave then you need readable numberplates... 2 thoughts here :
a. why not record in 1080i@60 or 720p@120fps ? shorter exposure time means beter clarity even if it is for half the lines and real full frame rate and bandwidth stays identical to 1080p@30fps ! an automatic resolution switch could even be trigered by the g-shock sensor !
b. why not use double exposure (bracketting) function as the hdr compact & slr camera does ?
c. why not provide a black and white mode with lower bitrate (and filesize) but better fps and clarity ?
d. why are we still stuck with low (real 3.2) Mpix sensors when mobile phones do have 8mpix since a while now and Nokia has even 48mpix on some lumia with such little lenses ?
e. on most of older dashcams there were IR leds for night vision... Most of the complains came because those leds reflects on the windshield... why no producer has never thought of having SEPARATE wired leds to place outside of the car ?
f. why are they no 360° fisheye lenses available for allaround surveilance (need better mpix cmos I suppose to be useful) ?
2. for the wifi
a. why not trigger its availability (and power load) to gps position and/or daytime or an actual keypress ?
this functionality is already available on pro eye-fi (full) sd cards !
b. has anyone already tried one of these eye-fi & alike sd on a dashcam for automatic content upload through wifi hotspots ?
c. do you think it would be essential to provide a remote wirered wifi antena to place outside of the car for better wifi discoverability ?
3. camera connection
nobody has answered one of the post here above suggesting to transfer the data directly through the car own electrical circuit like devolo homeplugs does... I suppose that it could be a realy messy functionality because most of the new car manufacturers already use multiplexing for their appliances to reduce wire costs and weights... but I could be wrong and it could be a realy valuable functionnality if it could be used on any car ! has anyone already read something about that ?

sorry for this looooooong post.... I did had a lot to say.... I hope I didn't lost too many readers !

and obviousely many thanks for the time already taken to develop, produce and test those magnificent products already outthere through this forum !

1.a : Need a lot of light to be able to do that, or much more light sensetive CMOS chips. Today all dashcams and action cams drop down in exposure time to be able to make night footage, thats why night footage is such a challenge for dashcams not least when there is movement going on.
1.b : i agree its my opinion somthing like this is needed in the future.
1.c : Been thinking the same, may allso boost night performance.
1.d : I assume its to do with larger mpic sensore have smaller individual pixels and therefor have a harder time picking things up in low light.
1.e : I am not sure if its usefull, if so the camera would need a automatic IR filter to disengage when camera go into low light mode ( like on cctv cameras )
1.f : Some ppl is or have been working on solutions like that, i am unsure if we will ever see it in dashcam use.
2.a : Not a bad idea, wifi could power up on position and then look for home network to dumt the footage of the day.
2.b : There have been some experimenting going on by users in here, i am not sure how it worked out for them.
2.c : That would proberly be needed to reach your wifi router some where deep in your house.

I did click the link and tried to find detailed spec info but havent found many...

http://www.kolesa.ru/gadgets/test-videoregistratora-parkcity-dvr-hd-460-postavil-i-zabyl-2014-11-05

design is close to perfect but not the specs :
- 2ch remote tiny cams (3 & 6m mini usb leads) 1080p (VBR @16Mbps) and/or 720p (VBR @11Mbps) 25fps MOV (but someone claims that cmos are of 1 Mpix only in real and FHD is interpolated ! I havent found any cmos info but captured licence plate samples are barely readable and there is certainly neither WDR nor good night shootings !)
- remote thin dvr with hard wire kit (acc & +12v input) Allwiner A10 cpu, motion detection & G-sensor
- remote control (IR or RF ?)
- AV out (to connect to the optional rearview mirror with screen or connection to screen in the dashboard)
- no info on battery, gps, menus, etc...

https://translate.googleusercontent...-11-05&usg=ALkJrhhybkb1VBNkSaDXodApJLkq1dMEEQ

Google translate link. I'm not keen on the allwinner processors as they seem to be underpowered but it could be interesting. Still reading the page myself. Pics look intriguing as they are. I could do without the ugly clip on mirror but the rest of the kit looks nice.

edit: the clip on mirror is not part of the camera kit - they just used it as a monitor. sounds like it's 1080p front and 720p back. license plates in the pics were intentionally blacked out, but the smaller numbers were still legible to me, even on my phone.

hope this form factor is developed more, with better hardware.

Last edited:
It's so annoying trying to go through the sea of dash cameras for AT THE VERY LEAST 60 FPS at 1080p for JUST a single channel dash camera. The amount of dash cameras that shoot 1080p at 60 FPS that are dual channel are almost 0 from what I've seen so far. That's not even including dash cameras that have features like supports up to 128 GB SD cards, apps for phones, WiFi connectivity, parking mode, etc. 32 GB is almost useless with 1080p at 60 FPS and 64 GB is the same with dual channels.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mollydog Dash Cam Discussion 5
mac Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back