VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens, "Snowden W007"

Would you like to have similar solution: Discrete / Stealth cameras / Remote lens / 1,2,4 channel ?

• Total voters
yeah I've never met those people either

Maybe same way like me, - you go into the wrong Pub :)
Even if you would go to the "right" Pub,- the wealthy people there like to drink only "Fosters" , not "Guinnes" ;)

As always for the majority of the market, the demand is in part driven by the perceived cost of the product. How many of us would be willing to pay for the
There are plenty of wealthy people out there who have a headache " ... where to invest money into ?!" , but unfortunately they don't go to the same Pub where I usually go, LOL
so how can we entice them to invest in our pet project/s?

one way that might be able to help raise dashcam's profile. Would be to make drivers convicted by their court keep a dashcam running in their car when it's being driven. Even the publicity around such a proposal should help.

Funny you should mention that.
I'm advocating that law enforcement develop a unit to process publicly submitted dashcam footage of driver offenses. In time we could get to a point of the public effectively enforcing our own road rules. This would certainly lift the driving standards of the community because they would know that anyone could potentially report them. But it also means that the offenses the public think most worthy of enforcement gets the attention. Instead of the current situation where only the most easily enforceable offenses are.

Such a policy would be a game changer to the market.

What do you think?

Funny you should mention that.
I'm advocating that law enforcement develop a unit to process publicly submitted dashcam footage of driver offenses. In time we could get to a point of the public effectively enforcing our own road rules. This would certainly lift the driving standards of the community because they would know that anyone could potentially report them. But it also means that the offenses the public think most worthy of enforcement gets the attention. Instead of the current situation where only the most easily enforceable offenses are.

Such a policy would be a game changer to the market.

What do you think?

it's a great idea

I really think the form factor of the units @Sam369 linked to are the way to go. And the Stack DVR3 is potentially getting close to the video processing throughput required.
Anything less than 1080p/30 shouldn't even be considered nowadays. But I think there is a fair way to go to get the image quality potential of 1080P yet. Pretty much all dashcams even now still don't have good enough image quality. I suspect it's due to over-processing and compression. But detail is lost, often badly.
I wouldn't care if the camera's were the size of a D-cell battery if it means getting the video quality 1080P is capable of. And the main unit size isn't important and could house a processor powerful enough to do the video streaming justice. 4 x 20Mbps perhaps. And a SATA interface for SSD or HDD is essential. Plus an SD card for event recording duplication.

Digital Video Loggers for Motorsport

Stack has two solid state (no moving parts) Digital Video-Loggers with built-in 3 axis G sensors; the CLUBMAN-3 and PRO-4 that can be used as a stand-alone DVR’s to record video and audio, or connected to a Stack data system for synchronized recording of data and video. The CLUBMAN-3 can support a total of three cameras and is the perfect DVL for club and semi-professional motorsport that don’t require a fully waterproof unit. The PRO-4 can support a total of four cameras and is well suited for use in wet or other harsh environments.

CLUBMAN-3 DVL

The CLUBMAN-3 DVL Starter Kit (ST8320) includes the DVL, Bullet Camera, Microphone, Remote Control Record Trigger Switch with Status LED, Wiring Harness, PC Configuration Software, PC Configuration Cable and Manual. Pin codes for enabling data overlay, GPS, CAN Interface and 14 channel Sync-Video Metadata recorder option and Synchronized Video time code CAN output for use with an MFD/MFR are included at no extra charge. Additional cameras (ST8394) are sold separately for $220.00, as are camera mounts, camera extension cables and CF memory cards.

ST8320 $1,550.00

PRO-4 DVL

The PRO-4 DVL Starter Kit (ST8321) includes the DVL with mil-spec connectors, Bullet Camera, Microphone, Remote Control Record Trigger Switch with Status LED, Wiring Harness, PC Configuration Software, PC Configuration Cable and Manual. Pin codes for enabling data overlay, GPS, CAN Interface and 14 channel Sync-Video Metadata recorder option and Synchronized Video time code CAN output for use with an MFD/MFR are included at no extra charge. Additional cameras (ST8394) are sold separately for $220.00, as are camera mounts, camera extension cables and CF memory cards.

ST8321 $2,399.00

yes yes yes this is what i want! here are features i like or would want:

i should be able to hide a DVR under the dash and not have the entire unit on the window.

i went with the blackvue because i liked the overall design the best. i dont want a screen on the unit because ideally you should hardly ever need to use it. ideally using your phone or a laptop/pc on occasion to change settings is enough for me. having a screen just makes it bigger then necessary.

having wifi is a plus for remote viewing for me personally too. ive only had mine for 5 days but ive already found use from remote viewing the parking lot when a lot of people were loitering at night (we have had theft problems in the parking lot).

this might be over kill but there should be an "all out" 5 channel model, 5th channel for recording inside the car.

i think if there is a g shock or motion detection multiple high resolution images should be taken. i think even some high quality video is so hard to make out at night, i could be wrong but i think high resolution images could resolve some of that issue with not being able to see faces or license plates in pixelated or blurry video from fast motion in dark settings? correct me if i am wrong.

i am a graduate traffic engineer, i wish someone would make a catalogue of accidents. if users use gps, you should be able to look up on a custom google map the car accidents at this location and watch the video. if everyone had cams and uploaded to this service it would be a dream come true for traffic engineers. it would obviously be very slow to start in countries like the US where so few people use dash cams tho.

kph/mph display should always be optional, drivers shouldnt have to be worried about using footage in an accident because they were going 2mph over the speed limit.

all standard cables such as micro usb, no proprietary cables.

mic input, or bluetooth support. if you get into an accident you should be able to record your voice when you are outside talking to another driver and easily record them too (not sure how far a bluetooth mic would work tho).

yes yes yes this is what i want! here are features i like or would want:

i should be able to hide a DVR under the dash and not have the entire unit on the window.

i went with the blackvue because i liked the overall design the best. i dont want a screen on the unit because ideally you should hardly ever need to use it. ideally using your phone or a laptop/pc on occasion to change settings is enough for me. having a screen just makes it bigger then necessary.

A nice compromise would be to have multi channel video outs on the blackbox, which just stream the same data that is getting recorded by the DVR (basically a passthrough). Then users have the option of purchasing a separate display system, whether that be a rearview mirror LCD, a dash mounted LCD, a headunit with video in, a wifi video repeater, etc. Since those kinds of displays rarely exceed vga, you could probably just provide SVideo out for the greatest compatibility. Or, allow a passthrough that is exactly what is sent from the cameras (so the black box doesn't have to do any downconversion to SVideo), and let the user be responsible for converting to an appropriate resolution.

I'm impressed by the small size of some of the HDMI cables that are out now. I wonder if that could be the standard video interconnect that connects cameras to the blackbox, and possibly the passthrough. It would be easy to order the appropriate length cables from other providers, and the manufacturer could sell cameras of varying quality to appeal to all customers. Plus, we all know that modern HDMI has no problems with 1080P and below.

How about a modular design:

• A single video module has one hdmi in, one hdmi out (passthrough for a screen or wifi video repeater), one sd card for that channel, and usb input/output (and maybe power if not through USB)
  • On the module, there are contacts that allow multiple modules to snap together on the top and bottom, like toy plastic bricks. (maybe just use inexpensive USB) The contacts allow signals like GPS and timing to be sent to each connected module. Note that video is not transferred over this link.
  • A control module supplies GPS, timing, G-shock/accelerometer, etc. Any connected video module receives this data and uses it to control recording and writing the gps/timing data to the video files.
  • The control module can be sold separately with different features (GPS/No GPS, wifi controls of settings, Battery size, etc)
  • The video modules can be sold separately with different features (resolution/data processing capability, wifi viewing, video output, etc) The wifi viewing could even be just a dongle that attaches to the video output, no need to build it into the module itself.
  • The cameras can be sold separately with different features (resolution, low light capabilities, lens angle and size)
  • A consumer can buy as many video modules as they want, for however many cameras they want. The video modules should a little bit less than a Mobius, since it has no camera or lens but has hdmi input/output.
  • The control module should be about $100USD, since it has no video recording of it's own. The control module just tells the video modules when a shock has happened and synchronizes the GPS and timing data between modules. Possibly, the control module could supply power to all the video modules through the USB connection. The standard version control module would use Mobius style USB control setup. A version with wifi controls (for setup, not for video viewing) would be more.
  • Any remote video viewing would be live-stream only, and from each individual video control unit.
  • One control module can be stacked with any number of video control modules.

I originally thought each video module should have one male and female USB connector built in, so that they can be stacked without the need for USB cables. The USB cables are only for the control signals (shock trigger, clock and GPS), and possibly power or power turn on. The video modules would not need a battery for themselves, they would get power through hard wired 12V input or through the control module's USB

A use case is that I would get a control module that has GPS and wifi or bluetooth controls that I can access through my phone.
Then I would buy 4 1080P video control modules, two of them (front and back) would have wifi remote viewing.
Then I would buy 4 1080P cameras, two of them (front and back) would have a wider viewing angle and upgraded low light capability.
Then I would buy a two input rear view mirror LCD display, which I would hook up to the front and rear HDMI passthroughs (possibly needing an SVideo converter at my own cost)

I'd also have to buy 6 off the shelf HDMI cables at a length I need from Monoprice.com (4 to go from cameras to video modules, and two to go from the front/rear video modules to the LCD display)

What I would like is a DVR module easily moved from vehicle to vehicle and have permanent cameras in each vehicle to connect to the DVR. Then I could decide what vehicle I am going to use that day and slide the DVR in to a quick connect bracket and away I go.

What I would like is a DVR module easily moved from vehicle to vehicle and have permanent cameras in each vehicle to connect to the DVR. Then I could decide what vehicle I am going to use that day and slide the DVR in to a quick connect bracket and away I go.

1) Each car should have it's own DVR. (unless you're a car collector and nobody else drives the other cars, ever) Set it and forget it, no excuses then if you forget to install it and regret not having it after an event.

2) Moving a DVR around, is easier if it's just a single channel solution. It's a bit tricky if you want to do this for multi-channel units. (unless you're expecting to be able to buy extra remote lens/wires etc)

I would also be interested with some 2CH discrete camera system, but for lateral vision.

Something more discrete than my actual G1W/G1WH solution :
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lateral-dashcam-with-g1w-g1wh.5903/

The best location for lateral dashcams is the one I have chosen.
Now, I need to find smaller cams like 0803 (can't be mounted this way) or DVR 2CH system.
120° is perfect, 170° will be too large for this use, and this location.

Any idea of something existing already ?

111.jpg

211.jpg

312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the idea / solution / design, - is what I am pointing out here, - what will be a FUTURE of Dashcam systems for stealth 1,2,4 channel dashcam systems. I am pretty sure about that ! NO MORE BULKY DashCams in future!

PLEASE VOTE if you support similar idea or not !? , and also leave a comment.

I am happy to see that some small "no-name" Chinese company realizes a concept of future dashcam solution.
And I am happy to see that Russian company realizes a concept of future dashcam solution;) AXiOM Car Vision 1100

on board.jpg installation in car 2.jpg installation in car 1.jpg

http://www.axiom-russia.ru/produkcziya/axiom/axiom-car-vision-1100/
  • Max Resolution: 1080p 30fps
  • Processor: Ambarella A2S60,
  • CMOS: OmniVision OV2710, 2.1 megapixel,
  • Diagonal Viewing Angle: 140 degree,
  • Max Bitrate: 15 MBps,
  • HDMI cable to cam (3,5 m/11ft 5in),
  • SD Card Type -SD (Max Size: 32 GB inside (8 GB incl) + 32 GB (outside slot),
  • Li-Ion battery 1400 mAh 3.7V
  • AV-out
  • AV-in (for 2-nd cam)
  • MIC-in
  • Screen: 2.5" TFT
  • 257 USD (8500 RURub)
Complete.jpg

Review: http://dim565.ru/axiom-car-vision-1100/

Test side by side
AXiOM-1100 side by side.jpg
photo & video: http://www.smolensk-auto.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=58277&view=findpost&p=1731186

My comment: just look at this VR-forum special test conducted (for AXiOM-1100):
Extreme-test (day & night, 24 hours) on trophy: http://videoregforum.ru/threads/ehkstrim-test-videoregistratorov-24-chasa-bezdorozhja.1220/

Axiom 1100 on trophy.jpg on board in trophy.jpg Frame 2014.07.06 12-10-10 (0-00-16.217).jpg
http://yadi.sk/d/kfHOyBKhPizCP

various installation options (incl. DIY)
various installation options 1.jpg various installation options 3a.jpg
http://videoregforum.ru/threads/fotokonkurs-ustanovka-v-mashine.793/#post-23614

I totally agree with you:
"the idea / solution / design - what will be a FUTURE of Dashcam systems for stealth 1,2,4 channel dashcam systems. I am pretty sure about that ! NO MORE BULKY DashCams in future!"

Thank you very much!

PS: I am your ally and soul mate!
(Idea about such DashCams came to me shortly after the 26/02/14 side-by-side test with the participation of Axiom 1100)

Last edited:
@jokiin, thanks for information.
The most important thing that in Russia there is a company where the guarantee is provided on the device. And they are actively working with consumers, improve and modify the product. Produces plant in Taiwan. I do not need more, as I like
In Russia I can buy it with the name of Axiom.

Axiom Vision 1100 is not a developer or manufacturer. This model is ODM Chinese model and sold under few different brand names depending on buyers order and wish, about 1.5y old, but yeah - the principle of it's solution is something what I was referring in this thread: discrete mini camera ( front + rear ) and main unit hidden.

It's not made in Taiwan but as long as they are supporting the product for warranty is the main thing anyway

I just like this solution, I support @niko, that Stealth cameras are the future of DashCam (it seems to me that you adhere to this point of view too).
Although time will tell...

Yeah I'm a fan of making the product as discrete as possible, the western market in particular want cameras but don't want to let others know they have them

Thanks for all for the response and very useful information

I'm certainly interested in this.

Around here, a $200 camera gets stolen from a car and sold for $5 so the junkie can get some crack. The more discrete the better.

Another advantage is that the "brain" box can be placed out of the sun and many of the heat issues can be avoided. In theory, it could also be a little bigger meaning better quality components and possibly a better backup power source.

You get a whole host of other possibilities too. You could have a connector bank that allows for various inputs such as brake light, turn signals, etc.. so that if you're ever in a collision and need to prove that you did indeed activate your turn signal, it's right there burned into the video.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mollydog Dash Cam Discussion 5
mac Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back