VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens, "Snowden W007"

Would you like to have similar solution: Discrete / Stealth cameras / Remote lens / 1,2,4 channel ?

• Total voters
Please no more MicroSD! Full size SD is not much bigger but is cheaper and can hold more data. It is also faster for backup purposes. Other than that, MacGyver on my friend!

I need Micro SD in my camera - I'm always pulling the card and sticking it into my phone or tablet.

I need Micro SD in my camera - I'm always pulling the card and sticking it into my phone or tablet.

whilst micro seems to be the way progress is taking us, in the short t0 medium term. I prefer full size cards, as they're easier to find & harder to lose. And, perhaps they're heavier, don't spring as far out of the dashcam when ejected.

I'm looking forward to more customizable dashcams. So that we can choose between options other than with/out GPS, 1080/720, 30/60 FPS etc etc

You can buy 5-6 usd OTG SD, MicroSD card reader for mobile phone and keep it in car in case you want view or copy files via mobile phone or tablet.

Just leave the full size SD card adapter in the camera and swap the microSD card. A full size SD slot will cater for both MicroSD and SD card users.

29fpk7b.jpg

Top part stays put
Bottom part moves around

You get these adapters for free with some MicroSD cards

Last edited:
depending on what part of the world you're in the adapters are not always a good idea, they're not heat rated like the cards and will often warp in hotter weather

depending on what part of the world you're in the adapters are not always a good idea, they're not heat rated like the cards and will often warp in hotter weather
Can we have a link to your source?

search here, has been reported previously, have never seen an adapter with a heat rating
The only results I find are claims that some adapters may warp due to heat. Is it confirmed that Samsung, SanDisk, Kingston and other major brands' adapters warp and subsequently cause issues?

OP (@TieNN89) never confirmed whether or not his adapter was warped. His last post in that thread said that he will not bother retuning what he thought was a faulty card. In a previous post he mentions using a 45MB/s SanDisk Extreme which worked fine. I'm assuming that this is also a MicroSD card (could also be a full size SD but SanDisk make Extreme versions achieving 45MB/s in both sizes) and that works fine. So in that quote, OP may have had a faulty or fake card. And isn't it usually the case that a card was not formatted correctly when you see such glitches in the quoted video? Why assume that a warped SD card adapter is to blame when formatting and other issues are more common. When you hear hooves think horses not zebras.

In this thread we are discussing multichannel cameras with remote lenses and in such a use case, the DVR will likely be hidden from direct light and only the sensors will be exposed to high heat. DVR will likely be in a glove box or under seat and those places will be somewhat cooler than around the windows. In this scenario I'd even go as far as say that 2.5" SAS (or SATA if that costs less) bays would be better and SSDs can tolerate a wider range of temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
TL;DR The adapter included with the SanDisk SDSDQX-064G can be operated (not just stored) in temperatures of -25C to 85C (-13F to 185F).

Sounded strange to me that the specification of a product will not apply to all accessories included with a product so I've queried SanDisk. They claim that their adapters are designed to work under the same conditions as the cards themselves. Feel free to verify this yourself or query other manufacturers.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SanDisk Support <sandisk-eu-kb@mailwc.custhelp.com>
Date: 30 July 2014 08:50
Subject: Do the operating temperature ranges apply to the SD adapter for SDSDQX-064G [Incident: 140730-001210]
To: ***

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Do the operating temperature ranges apply to the SD adapter for SDSDQX-064G
Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Cornilius L.)
07/30/2014 10:50 AM
Dear ***,Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. My name is Cornilius L. and I am here to assist you.
MicroSD to SD adapters were designed for use with microSD cards. There are made of the same material as SD cards. The flash memory in microSD and SD cards is the same. The have the same operating temperatures. (-25C to 85C). To answer your question the operating temperature ranges for the SDSDQX-064G apply to the microSD to SD adapter as well.

You can check SanDisk’s online Product Compatibility Tool; this application allows customers to verify if the SanDisk product that they intend on buying is indeed compatible with their device. The application also suggests all compatible products for a wide range of devices.
That way you are always certain that the product you are about to purchase is compatible with your device.

Please note that the best way to ensure you are purchasing an authentic SanDisk product is to buy from an authorized SanDisk reseller. You may view our distributor/reseller list to locate an authorized SanDisk reseller in your region:Find a Retailer/Distributor

Upon purchase we would recommend providing the following information in order to register the productfor warranty purposes:- Exact model of the device- Serial number (Take note of all the numbers that you can find on the device)- Color of your device- Capacity of your device- Place of purchase- Date of purchase (MM/DD/YYYY)- Do you see the letter "R" or the word "Refurb/Refurbished" at the back of the device?- How was the product packaged at the time of purchase? Thank you very much for your interest in SanDisk products!

Using one of our SSD’s? Check out our new interactive SSD guidefor installation- and usage tips & tricks.
Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb-eu.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.Also, you can visit http://kb-eu.sandisk.com our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com to provide you with the most complete answers possible. Best regards,
Cornilius L.SanDisk Technical Support

Chat Transcript07/30/2014 10:36 AM
Hello, thank you for contacting SanDisk. My name is Cornilius L.. Please give me a moment while I look into your question.
Cornilius L.: Is the adapter (or card) getting hot when your connect it to the computer?
***: On your website, it says that the SDSDQX MicroSD Ultra has a range of operating temperatures of -25 to 85 degrees C. Does this rating apply to the adapter or only to the microSD card itself?
***: This is a question about your specification. Not a troubleshooting question as I have not bought the product yet
Cornilius L.: SDSDQX is an Extreme Plus 80MB/s microSD and not an Ultra
Cornilius L.: I understand
***: OK Plus is fine. I'm more interested whether the stated operating temperatures apply to both the adapter and card OR card only
Cornilius L.: The adapter was designed for use with the memory card and has been tested it therefore supports the operating temperatures
***: Could you send me an email with this confirmation? Thank you
Cornilius L.: Of coure I will follow up with an email
Cornilius L.: I will provide you also a link for our authorized resellers so you are sure that you buy an authentic product
Cornilius L.: With our compatibility tool, you can see what cards are tested and recommended for your device

http://pct1.sandisk.com/NewSearch.aspx
Cornilius L.: Is there anything else I can do for you today?
Cornilius L.: *** are you still there?
***: I have not received an email from you. Could you confirm that you have sent it?
Cornilius L.: I will send the email right after our chat. Is this your correct email address? ***
***: yes
Cornilius L.: Ok
***: Ok please go ahead
Cornilius L.: Is there anything else I can do for you at this point?
***: No that is all. Just the email confirmation as discussed.
Cornilius L.: Ok, will do I will then now close the chat. Thank you for contacting SanDisk technical support. Have a great day!
'***' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').

Online registration is available to register your product. For presales inquires, you can chat live with one of our agents. Also, if you see this email in your spam folder, please unspam to receive future emails from SanDisk.
This is a transactional email in response to your request. SanDisk respects your privacy. Our Privacy Policy is available on our website.

[---001:004398:60301---]

I've seen buckled adapters that I'm sure haven't been anywhere near 85 degrees, perhaps of lesser quality than whatever Sandisk is using but I think the primary problem is the MicroSD card can't dissipate heat as well inside an adapter as well as they do when directly in a MicroSD socket

I've seen buckled adapters that I'm sure haven't been anywhere near 85 degrees, perhaps of lesser quality than whatever Sandisk is using but I think the primary problem is the MicroSD card can't dissipate heat as well inside an adapter as well as they do when directly in a MicroSD socket
So this is a non issue then, as long as you buy quality parts, which is the general advise when purchasing a memory card anyway. Your original concern was that SD adapters are not heat rated but as SanDisk have said, this is not the case with their products.

I would still advise against using it in an adapter, a full size card runs cooler and the less heat generated the better, dashcams already work in much harsher conditions than typical memory card applications and anything that can be done to help reduce temps is beneficial

I would still advise against using it in an adapter, a full size card runs cooler and the less heat generated the better, dashcams already work in much harsher conditions than typical memory card applications and anything that can be done to help reduce temps is beneficial
But why be cautious without any evidence to suggest that there are any risks? You may have seen a warped SD adapter - fine. If you saw a MicroSD card that didn't work properly with a camera or at all, would you then recommend that no one use MicroSD cards? You normally advise against the use of that particular card when paired with a certain device.

You advised caution initially because you thought that the SD adapters were not heat rated. SanDisk have explained that the adapters are as heat resistant as the SD cards themselves. So if you can use an MicroSD card in a device, then an SD adapter should be fine as well.

Now you advise caution because you think that that the adapter can't dissipate heat as quickly as the MicroSD card. I'm not sure I've heard of this problem before. If anything, the tiny air gaps around the card should insulate the MicroSD card from the heat that will no doubt emanate from the camera body. The card itself is unlikely to generate enough heat to kill itself (i.e., the heat will be coming in from outside the SD adapter and going in toward the card, not the other way around).

Sandisk cards are not recommended for this camera anyway so it's a moot point whether their adapters are suitable or not in this instance

I've seen twisted adapters from heat, I don't recall the brand sorry, MicroSD cards generate more heat than SD cards do for this type of application, I think the adapters are a great idea for some situations, I just wouldn't use one in this application

Sandisk cards are not recommended for this camera anyway so it's a moot point whether their adapters are suitable or not in this instance

I've seen twisted adapters from heat, I don't recall the brand sorry, MicroSD cards generate more heat than SD cards do for this type of application, I think the adapters are a great idea for some situations, I just wouldn't use one in this application
It is not a moot point as it was used as a rebuttal to the following statement

SanDisk adapters are heat rated and you don't need to put in a SanDisk card in them (you can just use the case with a different brand of card). I'd venture a guess that other manufactures rate their SD adapter cases to the same operating environments as the cards themselves.

Why discourage a use case scenario based on anecdotal evidence. You've not stated the brand of the adapter, its age, the conditions that led it to warp or twist, the frequency of such an event and most importantly, the response from the manufacturer when this issue was reported to them. Maybe that twisted adapter was defective and the manufacturer would have given you a new one. Or maybe that adapter was a generic no brand item that came in included with a cheap non branded SD card reader. Why advise caution if you don't have any evidence of anyone who has suffered issues from a warped SD adapter?

I have experienced similar but not quite as bad glitches with the lukas 9700 duo viewer but the playback is smooth using other viewers IE VLC windows media player and even the old 7900 Ace viewer have you tried a different viewer to see if that might be the problem this is using both the lukas sd card and sandisk .......sorry we are talking about a different camera but the problem may well be the same Ipol

I don't log reports of faulty adapters, it's not important enough, it is not a one off occurrence though, that I'm sure of, if I could do more products that took full size cards I would, space limitations always come into it though

oddly enough your first post on this site was looking for something that took full size cards to get away from the limitations of MicroSD cards, you seem to have changed your ideas

Sorry I should have mentioned my response was in regard to the video posted by road cam Capt Kirk never had a problem with warp factors........beam me up Scotty......Ipol

@ssbtech wants to use a MicroSD card and I just said that a full size SD slot will cater to both SD and MicroSD card users. This is the best of both worlds and I don't see physical volume as an issue when it comes to DVRs as they are not trying to be slim or pocket friendly. I don't think anyone would mind a cm of thickness added to a DVR/camera. I'm all for full size SD cards and even more supportive of 2.5" bays (in the case of DVR/remote lenses solutions)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mollydog Dash Cam Discussion 5
mac Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back