VW Driver gets out of car to chat with a MGIF, blocks opposing traffic to do so

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
A driver in a white Toyota zooms along a lane with a stopped truck to get in front of cars in the line next to the stopped truck. A VW driver will have no part of that and accelerates to prevent the Toyota from changing into his lane. The Toyota attempts to change lanes anyway, with the VW right next to him. The driver in the VW stops, gets out and attempts to chat. Opens the door, blocking traffic in the opposing direction.

They have a discussion past the stopped truck. Not seen in the video, but the white Toyota continues to drive in the same manner afterward.

Place: Toronto, Northbound Dufferin, Dufferin and Mackay, South of Dufferin and St Clair

Edit: Fix youtube link and modify title

Guy not taking helmet off, cuz he know in the fight he are looking for that give him a edge.
And i can tell it hurt like a SOB hitting a guy with a helmet cuz i tried that on a old guy on a Harley some years ago when he caught me out on a very bad day.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away! Too bad the woman didn't didn't have a ball bat!
All those outlaw motorcyclists who do wheelies and pass between lanes ought to have knots (knowledge bumps) on their frigging heads!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah if you go rouge, well IMO that instantly allow for everyone else to go rouge on you too.
And then lets see how much fun and " cool dude" that are.
Selfish pricks remind me on myself when i was the same, and i prefer to forget that part of my life. at least my stupidity was in a time where it wouldn't be recorded for prosperity.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away! Too bad the woman didn't didn't have a ball bat!
All those outlaw motorcyclists who do wheelies and pass between lanes ought to have knots (knowledge bumps) on their frigging heads!!

It's called "Lane Splitting" and in some places is not only legal, but expected from motorcyclists. Done with care (and only where legal) it's relatively safe for all and reduces traffic congestion. I don't know Toronto laws regarding this but there does seem to have been something prior to this clip provoking things between them.

That still doesn't excuse the woman from intentionally driving into the motorcyclist, an issue which changes things from a traffic offense to a felony assault and battery :eek: It is not any citizen's job to enforce traffic rules and laws, and trying to do things like that can turn you into the one who goes to jail which is how things are supposed to be :cautious:

Always follow the F.I.D.O. philosophy: Forget It, Drive On :cool: When you let someone else's idiocy adversely affect you, then it's you who loses the most from the encounter :( Let them be stupid and donh't follow their example.

Phil

It's called "Lane Splitting" and in some places is not only legal, but expected from motorcyclists. Done with care (and only where legal) it's relatively safe for all and reduces traffic congestion. I don't know Toronto laws regarding this but there does seem to have been something prior to this clip provoking things between them.

I had to look this up. I thought Ontario had nothing in the books either its legal or illegal. Apparently not.

The Ontario drivers hand book states it dangerous and NOT to do it, but does really clearly states whether permissible or not if caught doing if one would be charged.
IV. Positioning
Lane splitting
In heavy traffic, some motorcycle and moped drivers try “lane splitting” by driving on the line between lanes of traffic. This is extremely dangerous. Do not do it. It puts you too close to other vehicles. Other drivers do not expect a vehicle to be in that space. Just a small movement, such as a vehicle starting to change lanes or a door opening, can cause a collision because there is no place else for you to go.

However, Toronto city council is considering allowing late filtering at stopped traffic. Source: Motorcyclists may soon be allowed to drive between lanes of traffic in Toronto

I didn't know Toronto had the ability to make their own driving laws although I know they asked for permission for photo radar. Anyway, the incident is in Brampton, same province, different municipality. It would fall under Provincial law.

That still doesn't excuse the woman from intentionally driving into the motorcyclist, an issue which changes things from a traffic offense to a felony assault and battery :eek: It is not any citizen's job to enforce traffic rules and laws, and trying to do things like that can turn you into the one who goes to jail which is how things are supposed to be :cautious:

Always follow the F.I.D.O. philosophy: Forget It, Drive On :cool: When you let someone else's idiocy adversely affect you, then it's you who loses the most from the encounter :( Let them be stupid and donh't follow their example.

Phil
I thought she was carrying out a citizen's arrest over his criminal damage to her mirror, she was just using reasonable force to prevent him riding off and escaping while she was waiting for the police to come and cart him off to jail...

Lane splitting are not legal here, but many motorcyclists think if they don't cross the line into the other lane they are fine.
But i think here ( don't have MC license ) its not the lane markings but rather the danger of driving in between 2 other objects, and in Denmark the gooberment are very protective ( well pretend to be at least ) of its citizens.
I also think before this there must have been some form of alteration in between the 2 of them, but at least when it went down the woman did a good job of shutting him down cuz he aint going nowhere.

Legal or not i would personally not put myself in a place like that ( lane splitting ) on a motorcycle, now if i was driving a M1A1 or my dream vehicle the Marauder it would be another matter.

Car-crush.jpg

Safety is a relative term- nothing is completely safe on the roads. Lane-splitting can work very well and quite safely. but only when everyone is on the same page with it expecting it to happen and allowing for it. This means cars positioning themselves in the center of their lanes or toward the edges if in the outside lanes, making room for the bikes. It also means the bikers knowing their width and their ability to hold their line closely to avoid collisions with car mirrors etc then always allowing a bit of extra room just in case.

Where the problem usually comes in is with self-entitled car drivers who feel that it's unfair to them for bikes to get ahead when they cannot. These shallowly thinking people haven't carried the thought process far enough- would they really prefer that the already too-long lines of traffic waiting at traffic lights be even longer putting themselves even further back and extending their own drive times when that needn't happen? The best solution would be more lanes to better accommodate the traffic density but that never happens quickly enough so we have to live with it, or find alternate solutions like lane-splitting to help out until the roads are improved.

My experience with lane-splitting was in California, where heavy traffic is the norm and lane-splitting is expected from bikers to allow more room for cars. It wasn't legal anywhere else I rode back then. Lane-splitting is like a "zipper merge"or a "roundabout" where if everyone does as they should, nobody is inconvenienced or delayed unnecessarily with nobody's safety being unduly risked and everything going smoothly at speed. All it takes is one idiot who doesn't follow along to screw things up for everyone else in any of these situations, and rarely does that idiot gain much if anything for their mis-applied efforts. I'm not standing up for the 2-wheeled idiots here who pass between cars in flowing traffic, do wheelies, or split lanes at intersections going too fast- I'm only supporting-lane splitting done properly at intersections where it can be to everyone's advantage if they will just see that.

Phil

I wouldn't have a problem with lane splitting the way the Toronto council WAS discussing it. Since the CBC web page is over a year, and I never heard about this, I think its something that won't go any further. I was opposed to lane filtering at slow or stopped traffic until it was pointed out it improved on the 'cyclists safety as they are less likely to be rear ended. As someone who has been rear ended a few times in a car, I support this.

My concerns are
  1. motorcyclists will misinterpret the speed aspect and do this at highway speeds
  2. The typical selfish Toronto area driver who just passed a motorcycle will be annoyed he lost his place in the queue.
  3. We have so many distracted drivers, I have almost been side swiped on a change to a green light with us both moving. If I were on a motorcycle riding on the line, I would have been nailed.

A biker that is ready for the most horrible road rage, either as the starter of it or the guy that will be ending it.

b384505b58de3730d8169e1e31c42c23.jpg

Why do we have two completely different videos in one thread instead of starting a new thread? With the second being a video of someone playing a video :rolleyes: Unless the thread title gets changed to "A bunch of idiots caught on camera..."

Im okay with keeping idiots assembled in one place, or as few as possible places, so i can give them a wide berth

I guess after just posting a video on road rage, I came across another video and decided to post there. I could have posted to a new thread, or to one of the other ones where a motorcyclist rages against a car and gets nailed.

I guess after just posting a video on road rage, I came across another video and decided to post there. I could have posted to a new thread, or to one of the other ones where a motorcyclist rages against a car and gets nailed.
I think it was relevant since it is from the same area of the same country, shows the driving standards you have to deal with!
It's your thread so you get to decide ;)

Back