W205 C63S - PMP troubleshooting

The fuse is to protect the vehicle in case of short circuit, the closer the fuse to the battery the safer it is, just a best practice thing, do it once, do it right

Thanks for this, I will visit it tomorrow or sunday at best - just for knowledge sake, why does the wire need to be as close to the battery, just curious :)
The fuse.. needs to be as close as possible to the battery. You are protecting the length of wire from a possible short circuit and that only happens downstream from the fuse. Should you have the fuse.. say next to the camera.. all the wire from battery to fuse is un-protected.

As a test to see if this is in fact your problem a "temporary" line hooked up with an alligator clip to your battery and run externally through an open window and with an alligator clip on the other end to the always on line of your PMP would suffice. This being a non-driving test done in your garage. A permanent wire installation is probably overkill at this point as it is difficult to run a wire from the engine bay through the firewall into the cabin

Last edited:
Hi All, I am back, Just an update-

I have wired straight to the battery using a fuse folder and * as close to the battery as possible * with a gator clip, and it looks to be running for 6 hours straight at the moment - which is better than the previous 2 hours I have been getting.
Now I just need to wait another 6 hours to see if the PMP will shut it down.

If all goes well, It almost concludes that my car has some kind of smart system to prevent any rogue device taking battery from the fuse

- During this ordeal, I also Rewired to the front driver side fuse box and still had the 2 hour issue.

Thanks
Another update soon after another 6 hours.

So the PMP did its job and has worked upon connecting straight to the battery, thank you all, looks like this is the only working solution i can go by now.

AS per the knowledge you guys provided me, is the following below suitable and permanent solution moving forward or any feedbacks regarding the safety of how it all interconnects?

Using Electric Tape on the Gator Clip to the battery To keep it firm and electric tape to attach the BATT+ to the PMP (Probably going to get it soldered for the BATT)

the Fuse holder is close as possible to the battery as mention by you guys.

1582347398392.png
Thanks
Steve

I’d get the connections soldered, then heat shrunk to protect the soldered joint and then wrap the cable with cable wrap tape. You can leave it with electrical tape as in the heat the tape will eventually come undone.

Now you have found the solution, it's time to stop bodging.
I'm not certain what you are going to solder the lead to, or even if you will be able to easily given the size of the car's cable/clamp. You would need a soldering iron approaching the size of a cricket bat.

1. Get a suitably sized eyelet (probably 6mm if the clamp bolt takes a 10mm spanner)
2. Crimp said eyelet to the end of the fuse cable
3. Attach the eyelet to the battery clamp using the clamp bolt.

Neat tidy job. No heat-shrink or tape involved.

Definitely make all the connections permanent and proper. And buy good quality connectors to do that with, the cheap stuff and the ones which come in bargain "assortment kits" are thin with thin insulation sleeves. Also a well-done crimp can be as good as soldering with the right connectors and the right crimping tool. Even a cheap crimper will probably be OK as long as you use good connectors- those are the real key to problem-free wiring ;)

Phil

Thank you all for the advise, and enduring my troubleshooting.

I will stick around and help assist people with my newly obtained knowledge :)

Again thank you all.

Glad you found the problem and now can work with it.

I changed to the B124 for MY2017 A205 C300 Convertible powered from rear boot, using the free fuse spares ( spare cigarette sockets, but not on the car back there, but is hardwired into car electrics, check with voltage meter,) to hard wire with over 20 hrs parking mode (4k cam up front) for 40 min drive daily, when i don't drive i use battery conditioner for 12 hours as my Mercedes ME informs me by SMS Critical Battery as the car has not been driven for a week or two. by the way same thing happened on my GLA 45 the PMP is erractic for mercedes until i changed to the B124,

Back