Waking up with a bang

There is going to be one very unhappy insurance company. :cry:

There is going to be one very unhappy insurance company. :cry:

Maybe not. Here in SC you've got hard limits on what insurers pay for liability per event, and this would be considered by your insurer as one event :rolleyes: Basic liability as required by SC is only $15K for property damage which won't replace hardly any new car should you cause one to be totaled :eek: I opted for increased coverage but many folks don't. Had this crash happened here, that $15K would be spread proportionally to the victims and their own comprehensive coverage would pay the rest (to it's limits), then those other insurers would sue the at-fault driver to recover those costs. If found guilty, the Court issues them a judgement sum which they then have to pursue on their own. And if the at-fault party has no money and owns nothing of value the insurers never get paid and that's the end of . Should a victim not have comprehensive coverage they are in the same boat; they will never get paid the rest of what is owed them.

Car insurance is in itself a scam where the innocent pay all the bills for the guilty, who at most pay only slightly higher insurance premiums for several years :mad:

And now you might understand why I'll never drive a car here worth more than $15K ;)

Phil

Similar thing happened a couple days ago here in Cornwall, UK. Sadly a lady died.....

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

Maybe not. Here in SC you've got hard limits on what insurers pay for liability per event, and this would be considered by your insurer as one event :rolleyes: Basic liability as required by SC is only $15K for property damage which won't replace hardly any new car should you cause one to be totaled :eek: I opted for increased coverage but many folks don't. Had this crash happened here, that $15K would be spread proportionally to the victims and their own comprehensive coverage would pay the rest (to it's limits), then those other insurers would sue the at-fault driver to recover those costs. If found guilty, the Court issues them a judgement sum which they then have to pursue on their own. And if the at-fault party has no money and owns nothing of value the insurers never get paid and that's the end of . Should a victim not have comprehensive coverage they are in the same boat; they will never get paid the rest of what is owed them.

Car insurance is in itself a scam where the innocent pay all the bills for the guilty, who at most pay only slightly higher insurance premiums for several years :mad:

And now you might understand why I'll never drive a car here worth more than $15K ;)

Phil
Sounds like SC needs a new Insurance Commissioner. :):(

My car is worth more than $15K but then I load up on comprehensive and uninsured motorists coverage since in MI auto insurance is some of the most expensive in the country (because of mandated, unlimited medical benefits) so a lot of people have insurance only when it's time to register the vehicle. :mad:

They don't even check for and verify insurance here when you register a car or renew your plates. You fill out the form listing who your insurance company is and if it looks legit, you get your plate and go. No showing a card or policy, not even a policy number, you just write the company's name :eek: Even the SC Government admits that about 1 in 5 cars here are uninsured, but nothing gets done about it :mad: It's politics as usual here, same as with the Highway Commissioner who never gets the roads fixed no matter how much money you give them, and there's nothing anybody can do about it except complain :(

Phil

Wow, that's pretty blatantly lax governmental policy! In the few states that I've had to register cars in, not only do they require the insurance card, some also require the declarations page to confirm minimum coverage limits.

KuoH

They don't even check for and verify insurance here when you register a car or renew your plates. You fill out the form listing who your insurance company is and if it looks legit, you get your plate and go. No showing a card or policy, not even a policy number, you just write the company's name :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Krishnamohan Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 22
Number400 Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 2
Back