Want 1080p Dashcam that can film upside down and attach to a ball mount

whataboutbob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I have a RAM 1500 and looking to mount a dashcam to my dash mount rail. I have power on the dash.

My first consideration is that I might need a camera that can change the video 'upside down'/'inverted' so that the bottom of the camera can be attached to a ball mount. I think a suction mount (and dismantling the suction part) is what I will need, but it is hard to identify models that allow you to record the footage upside down.

I use wireless CarPlay (uses wifi) and do not want a wifi model.

Preferences
Some type of USB charge (not 12V)
Loop Recording
1080P
Under $100.

Every VIOFO camera I've used lets you rotate video 180 degrees if upside down.

Thanks for your reply! I've found those as well, but unfortunately I don't see any method to attach them to a ball mount (they appear to be adhesive)

When you say "ball mount", what are you referring to? Is this something on the dashboard?

I'd say that any dash cam that attaches via glue can be attached to anything as long as you build the right adapter.

I have a RubiGrid Dash Mount that I have my phone attached to. I plan on getting a RAM Mount similar to this.

Agreed on any normal 'dash mount' would not be very sturdy, however this would probably be sturdier than any dash suction/adhesive mount because the base is screwed into the dashboard.

I think you just helped me come up with an answer though lol. I keep trying to use a ball mount, when I could get something similar like a phone mount and just have it pointed towards the windshield

Thats the type of mount i've had in mind, my only issue now is finding a camera that can be mounted 'upside down.' All of the dash cams I've seen that have any mounting hardware, mount from the top and not the bottom. I'm now trying to see if 'motorcycle' dash cams might be a better option if those are mounted from the bottom

Isn't that what @mentadent meant by saying the VIOFO cams let you flip the video? Even though it's "meant" to be mounted sticky side up, there's nothing stopping you from mounting it sticky side down and doing the 180 degree flip in the firmware.

The camera should be able to stick to the ebay thing I linked. It's intended to be screwed in to whatever it's attached to, but I'm sure it can be adhered to the camera instead.

I think something like this might work the best for mounting since it is completely flat. Or am I missing what you are suggesting with that eBay mount? Thank you for the ideas!

We're thinking of the same thing. Yours is more positionable and mine is low profile and can only swivel.

Isn't that what @mentadent meant by saying the VIOFO cams let you flip the video? Even though it's "meant" to be mounted sticky side up, there's nothing stopping you from mounting it sticky side down and doing the 180 degree flip in the firmware.
Yes exactly what I meant. You can flip in the options.

Back