Want a camera with Radar, WiFi, and no need for an app or cloud service

dashcamateur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 322GW
I have a dilemma.

I want my next dashcam's parking mode to last a couple of days on the starter battery alone, with a high voltage cut-off to avoid draining/damaging that battery. I also want it to last a week or more with supplemental battery packs and/or solar panels.

AFAICT, the only extant cameras that can achieve this are the cameras compatible with Thinkware's Radar module: X1000, U1000, Q1000.

I also want to be able to set up my camera without needing a smartphone app.

And ideally, I want the camera to have WiFi so that I can set up something like blackvuesync to run when the car is not in parking mode (either via home WiFi when the car is within range, or via a 3G/4G/5G hotspot).

Questions:
  1. Is it possible to set up the U1000 or Q1000 without needing to install Thinkware's mobile app? For instance, via a configuration text file on the MicroSD (like Mobius cams), or via cURL or SSH over Wifi?
  2. Is Thinkware planning a successor to the X1000 that will not only have a screen (like the X1000) so that an app isn't needed, but that - unlike the X1000 - will have Wifi? If so, when will that product become available in the UK?

Last edited:
I have a dilemma.

I want my next dashcam's parking mode to last a couple of days on the starter battery alone, with a high voltage cut-off to avoid draining/damaging that battery. I also want it to last a week or more with supplemental battery packs and/or solar panels.

AFAICT, the only extant cameras that can achieve this are the cameras compatible with Thinkware's Radar module: X1000, U1000, Q1000.

I also want to be able to set up my camera without needing a smartphone app.

And ideally, I want the camera to have WiFi so that I can set up something like blackvuesync to run when the car is not in parking mode (either via home WiFi when the car is within range, or via a 3G/4G/5G hotspot).

Questions:
  1. Is it possible to set up the U1000 or Q1000 without needing to install Thinkware's mobile app? For instance, via a configuration text file on the MicroSD (like Mobius cams), or via cURL or SSH over Wifi?
  2. Is Thinkware planning a successor to the X1000 that will not only have a screen (like the X1000) so that an app isn't needed, but that - unlike the X1000 - will have Wifi? If so, when will that product become available in the UK?
  • Is it possible to set up the U1000 or Q1000 without needing to install Thinkware's mobile app? For instance, via a configuration text file on the MicroSD (like Mobius cams), or via cURL or SSH over Wifi?
    Afraid not, this is something i have mentioned several times before but TW are not really feeling it! I would like all aspects of the camera to be set up (inc the WiFi Hotspots details) via the SD Card but currently you can only do the actual camera settings via PC / MAC, the Hotspots etc still have to be done via the App.
  • Is Thinkware planning a successor to the X1000 that will not only have a screen (like the X1000) so that an app isn't needed, but that - unlike the X1000 - will have Wifi? If so, when will that product become available in the UK?
    I think this is very unlikely, i do agree with TW on this one they only add WiFi to certain models without a Screen as then the Phone becomes the screen, most of the time it's pointless to have both. They did make an X350 a long while ago that had Screen & WiFi but the sales were very poor as there just wasn't enough demand. Sorry!
Thanks
Steve

Back