Want to purchase 1st DashCam

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any recommendations? Between $50 - 150... was going to buy the G1W but recent reviews suggest otherwise so now I'm debating on the Skyview G1, any comments?

If you want a small and discrete dashcam (w/o screen) , you should consider the Mobius. (~$70)
Also, the G1W, G1WC or G1WH are great for a first-time dashcam user, as these do not cost much (~$50) but produce quite impressive video in this price range. Reliability on the other hand is a concern.

Any recommendations? Between $50 - 150... was going to buy the G1W but recent reviews suggest otherwise so now I'm debating on the Skyview G1, any comments?
What features are you looking for? For a basic, no screen dash cam, the Mobius can't be beat. Or on the higher end, the Panorama, with more features, is an excellent choice. It all depends on your priorities. For me, I prefer small, discreet cameras.

Mini 0803?

If you want GPS then it should be on your list...

No one likes the Skyview G1?
I have never heard of this camera.
Mini 0803?
There have been a few quirks, but I really like my 0803. I even am not minding it only being a sticky mount now that I have two mounts. Tiny footprint GPS screen.
was going to buy the G1W but recent reviews suggest otherwise
Where have you been reading these reviews? If it was on Amazon they may have been low star reviews form people who got knock off versions.

I have never heard of this camera.

There have been a few quirks, but I really like my 0803. I even am not minding it only being a sticky mount now that I have two mounts. Tiny footprint GPS screen.

Where have you been reading these reviews? If it was on Amazon they may have been low star reviews form people who got knock off versions.

Here is the Skyview G1... The Mobius looks good but I have to buy extra cables etc right?

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/skyview-g1-car-camera

I'd say
Mini 0803
Mobius
A118 (they sell it as the Skyview G6)

Hmm ok, Mobius looks good!

What are the benefits of having a dash with a display? Do most of you guys actually watch the footage in the car?

What are the benefits of having a dash with a display?
I'm a display person.
I can make sure it's working if need be.
It's easier to change settings I think.
I can make sure a file is locked manually if need be.
i can adjust aim if need be
I can make sure GPS has a lock.

What are the benefits of having a dash with a display? Do most of you guys actually watch the footage in the car?
I have both and can say a 1.5 inch screen is good for changing settings and maybe a review of footage (which isn't easy on 1.5"). You may need an extra cable for that stuff with the Mobius. What you get in the Mobius, that you don't with bigger, screened cameras is the joy of this inconspicuous, somewhat cheap looking little camera that people ignore and yet records crystal clear video and just does what it needs to do very well.

I am not a fan of dash cams that, well, look like cameras. I want mine to be as invisible and hands off as possible.

Normally i drive dvr with display, now i have mobius for a change.
Biggest disadvantage i have found is simple: is camera recording?
With display you can check that immediately, but with mobius i have to try to see is that small red light blinking, or feel is it warm - and still i cant be 100% sure is it recording.
But don't get me wrong, i really like mobius and i'm on the edge to start using it as a main camera.
My second choice now would be G90 A7LA70, resolution 2560x1080 is awesome.

+1 for the Dome G90 A70. Ive that one in the rear and its resolution and clarity are spot on. highly recommend.

Decided that I want a screen just so I can tell when it's recording... G1WH good to go?! The Mini has some bad reviews so staying away from that
I think most cameras have some bad reviews and the ones that sell best have the most! Makes it difficult to judge if issues are significant or very occasional.

Some early Mini 0803 did have issues with the mount and the odd heat related issue but changes have been made and there have been very few problem reports recently. It does have advantages in size, a very small and solid mount, no heat related focus issues, GPS built into the mount, higher resolution, most owners seem very happy with them.

i love my mobius, affordable and great quality. i prefer no screen, with a discrete design. it is also very easy to mount with custom brackets with its "holder."

i am also taking the plunge for a street guardian SG9665 because discrete form factor is super important to me and the way this body style hugs the windshield is a very smart design.

and at the same time, the INNOVV C3 looks great (havent gotten my hands on it yet) because you can hide the main body somewhere like a glove box, and then mount the camera lens in your window. looks ideal for stealth install or a rear camera.

The pano G is the bees knees, along with the Dome G90 A70. I use both.

best stick on this site for more relevant reviews from enthusiasts.

So the G1W is no good?
The G1W is good and a great first cam. Make sure you get the real deal, there are a lot of fakes. @CheckYourLights just posted a list of sellers here.

There are a lot of great cameras out there and the choice can get confusing. You won't throw your money away with the G1w. There are better cameras just not For $44. The only thing is the camera comes with a suction mount. Research on DCT and you can find a small sticky mount that works. Once you own one and use it for a while, then you will see what works and what more you need. Besides once you own one, you will want more

Last edited by a moderator:
Back