Wanted: Mirror, reverse cam and dashcam combo

rdx

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day folks

A number of reasons prompted me on my search.
- The mirror in my 2005 Astra is far too small and it's falling apart
- I have trouble telling what's in the back corners when reversing
- I've been looking for a dashcam for a long time now, but haven't found anything suitable.

So I'd like to combine the three and I've heard and seen that it's possible, I just have no idea which ones are good. The ones I did see were either silly expensive or really flashy. I'd like it to be discreet, weight doesn't matter as I want to replace my entire mirror. I also need decent quality recording, with a nice field of view, and for it to be able to take a 128gb microSD card, as I have one of those lying around.
I don't know what kind of budget I'll need to assign, would $300 be enough? That'd be the max I'd be willing to pay.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Kind regards,
rdx

I also need decent quality recording,

This going to be your problem.
I have tested almost dozen of low,- mid, and so called "high-end" RVmirror / reversing DVRs, but non of them meets my image quality expectations. As always with most "all-in-one" things there are compromises made. The only "all-in-one thing" I do respect is "Leatherman".
Me personally I would go with separate RVmirror + reversing cam plus separate dascham system.

Hi there @niko

I have been looking high and low for a rear view mirror screen for the past 2 weeks now, and two small cameras, one to keep on the front grill and another one behind but up top.

I have pickup truck, and the current rearview mirror has very poor visibility due to head rests in the back, the window panes, and then there is the window itself which isn't that big like cars in a midsize pickup. So my rear view is very bad to begin with. (not as bad as some of those sport cars etc).

My truck has a rear view camera which engages when I shift to reverse, but it only looks down at an angle giving me a view of my rear bumper and 6 or 7 feet ahead with guidelines. it does not look straight, and it isn't built for that purpose. Since my trucks own rear view mirror is doing a bad job, very bad if I have passengers in the back, I thought I' might as well buy a mirror screen and have a video feed for fulltime giving me a better high quality picture of whats behind me. I don't want to use it for reverse, I already have a nice dashcam for that. The purpose of the rear mirror is only to replace the function of my rearview mirror. Now as for the front camera I want to attach inside my grill, this is because my truck is large, and I have a hood scoop, and Im a bit high, but the seats are on the floor, it's hard to explain. I can't see almost 6 feet immediately in-front of my truck from my grill. If I keep an apple or lemon about 6 ft away from my grill from behind the wheel I see no apple or lemon. This is especially hard when I have to parallel park my truck,.. there is as it is hardly any space, and if I want to squeeze in my truck I want to be able to see how much room i have in front between the car and my truck. Currently I have to get out once or twice. So during parking time, I want to switch to this camera on my rear view mirror.

If money is not an issue, what could be the best quality rear view mirror with a screen I could buy. I know among the available ones, there is no 'best quality' so far. Let me know what you'd go with at-least.

My current mirror has an auto-dimming feature, a button to turn it on/off, a light and a sensor and it has a compass. I need those features the very minimum.

My desired requirements are : 2 video feed support. a high quality/resolution display/screen or whatever you would buy. Reliability- as much as I can get. Ability to switch between two cameras either by a built in switch or an external switch i could buy and add/have wiring to do switch. and Compass.

What I don't want in my mirror : Bluetooth, GPS, Phone, Parking Sensors, WiFi, anything stupid that I likely won't need such as Android apps and so on. Most mirrors I see are made in China, and of poor quality, If there's a good reliable one, I'd consider a few suggestions.

(I already have a dashcam (Joovuu x) for safety, recording, insurance etc.)

Can you please help? It seems you're quite knowledgeable among rear-view mirrors.

Last edited:
Hi there @niko

I have been looking high and low for a rear view mirror screen for the past 2 weeks now, and two small cameras, one to keep on the front grill and another one behind but up top.

I have pickup truck, and the current rearview mirror has very poor visibility due to head rests in the back, the window panes, and then there is the window itself which isn't that big like cars in a midsize pickup. So my rear view is very bad to begin with. (not as bad as some of those sport cars etc).

My truck has a rear view camera which engages when I shift to reverse, but it only looks down at an angle giving me a view of my rear bumper and 6 or 7 feet ahead with guidelines. it does not look straight, and it isn't built for that purpose. Since my trucks own rear view mirror is doing a bad job, very bad if I have passengers in the back, I thought I' might as well buy a mirror screen and have a video feed for fulltime giving me a better high quality picture of whats behind me. I don't want to use it for reverse, I already have a nice dashcam for that. The purpose of the rear mirror is only to replace the function of my rearview mirror. Now as for the front camera I want to attach inside my grill, this is because my truck is large, and I have a hood scoop, and Im a bit high, but the seats are on the floor, it's hard to explain. I can't see almost 6 feet immediately in-front of my truck from my grill. If I keep an apple or lemon about 6 ft away from my grill from behind the wheel I see no apple or lemon. This is especially hard when I have to parallel park my truck,.. there is as it is hardly any space, and if I want to squeeze in my truck I want to be able to see how much room i have in front between the car and my truck. Currently I have to get out once or twice. So during parking time, I want to switch to this camera on my rear view mirror.

If money is not an issue, what could be the best quality rear view mirror with a screen I could buy. I know among the available ones, there is no 'best quality' so far. Let me know what you'd go with at-least.

My current mirror has an auto-dimming feature, a button to turn it on/off, a light and a sensor and it has a compass. I need those features the very minimum.

My desired requirements are : 2 video feed support. a high quality/resolution display/screen or whatever you would buy. Reliability- as much as I can get. Ability to switch between two cameras either by a built in switch or an external switch i could buy and add/have wiring to do switch. and Compass.

What I don't want in my mirror : Bluetooth, GPS, Phone, Parking Sensors, WiFi, anything stupid that I likely won't need such as Android apps and so on. Most mirrors I see are made in China, and of poor quality, If there's a good reliable one, I'd consider a few suggestions.

(I already have a dashcam (Joovuu x) for safety, recording, insurance etc.)

Can you please help? It seems you're quite knowledgeable among rear-view mirrors.

OK, of dascham ( DVR ) as a part of RVmirror system is not needed, then it is much easier to help you.

There is only one manufacturer who makes high-end Certified RVmirrors which would meet your requirements with all listed options you need ( auto-dimming, compass, 2 built in screens, both switch between screens via remote control or from RVmirror buttons ) and so on . I have tested many of their products and they are up to high standard and can recommend them, however they are not cheapt and I believe those RVmirrors are on pre-order. In US @Pier28 may help you out. Send him PM.

Thank-you so much. I don't mind the cost of the product, a working product is what that matters, as safety, and safe roads are the priority here, not the cost. I will certainly PM Pier28. I bought my Joovuu X dashcam from that seller/shipper on Amazon.

If compass and auto-dimming mirror glass is not required, then Street Guardian has such RVmirror safety system for you with 2 Video inputs, autodimming LCD screen, front and rear camera etc.

Last edited:
Back