Wants for the next firmware / hardware update DR550GW Dual Dashcam

Peter Wilson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0801 DashCam and Blackvue DR550GW, iPhone 4S.
Well I am hoping for the following.

Let me choose what Bitrate front and rear cameras can run at, (a warning if they want that the machine may get hot if the bitrate is increased). My front camera is only running at 20-30 oC on 24 hours and the rear is running at 25-30 oC same. So they can both handle a bit more kBps

Choose how long before the camera goes into parking mode.

Let me choose the colour of the front LED.

Let me choose Compression High Medium Low None.

It would be Better if they had allowed the WiFi to connect to your home network (using the settings to set the name and password of your router) this would make it so that when you park on your drive you can access via blackvue and save on the laptop. I am sure this can be done.

The last thing is to get the memory card out you have to switch off and wait then disconnect the power then the (Sensitive) rear camera wire then move the cover and push the card in and remove. Now considering the rear cameras cables have had to be redesigned because the slightest bad connection they go out it not advised to keep pulling the cable out. I have left the cover hanging down as I like to back up every night and keep a record just in case I get a parking van ticket or notice a couple of days later that there's a scuff on my bumper. The Memory card should be under a cover on the left of the camera.

Anyway anyone else have any ideas as to how they can improve the next gen Please post it here.

Peter. PS Since I have had the camera Not one person has cut me up or pulled out in front of my 4x4. LOL typical as it was happening every other day before.

DO you have a big sign up saying you have a camera as most wouldnt be able to be seen from 5 carlengths away.

Havent noticed any difference in the idiot driving in my area since I have the cameras installed (covertly)

ALL my Leds are ALWAYS out less obvious that way

What would be useful is when exiting parking mode it would give a warning message if video has been recorded.. I.e. "parking mode disabled - warning, events recorded".

That way you know to check the car for damage before the video gets overritten.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

What would be useful is when exiting parking mode it would give a warning message if video has been recorded.. I.e. "parking mode disabled - warning, events recorded".

That way you know to check the car for damage before the video gets overritten.

That's a good idea

DO you have a big sign up saying you have a camera as most wouldnt be able to be seen from 5 carlengths away.

Havent noticed any difference in the idiot driving in my area since I have the cameras installed (covertly)

ALL my Leds are ALWAYS out less obvious that way
Lol. My car had a Klingon cloaking device fitted before the cameras they seem to be messing with it.

An option to turn off the led on the rear camera would be good but I have a feeling that this isn't possible..

I would agree I have taped over it as it really bright on a night time lighting up my entire boot.

Yep I've got it covered up too.. it is really bright!

I cant wait till they bring out a really improved update. I do hope they consult with there customers on the dashcam forum or via the internet site to find out what people want and need from there cameras.

My only requirements would be the rear LED, and an increased bitrate for recording.
The card removing is a pain I agree, not much you can do about that with a software update :D lol

I think when I get 2 more cameras for the other cars, I'll just get the 500 instead.

My only requirements would be the rear LED, and an increased bitrate for recording.
The card removing is a pain I agree, not much you can do about that with a software update :D lol
I dont know. LOL
I think when I get 2 more cameras for the other cars, I'll just get the 500 instead.
I am still thinking about getting the Mini 0801 Dashcam for the front, I just wish they would sort out MPH instead of Kmph

... and an increased bitrate for recording.

I think this could be a problem, as there are at least 2 files which has to be wirtten at the same time as a stream without interruption, through one bus and to one media storage...

Did you ever see what happens, when you try to copy 2 large files to one HDD from 2 sources at the same time?!?! The time to finish the operation increases exponentially, compared to copying one by one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some thoughts ...

- Home-Link
After getting at home (Option to set Home GPS cordinates with some meters to compensate error)
some files are uploaded to the home pc/network (by setting the IP and shared folder).
In this way the SD card is constant in the BlackVue.

- Secure Location
Getting at home and after shutdown the car, the park mode detect that is a
secure location like Home (Accelerometer sense that the car is parked by verifing the GPS position) and
starts shuting down until the next start-up.
This prevents draining more the battery even with Power Magic and record more video by saving space.

- Variable bit Rate
Change the bit rate with the sensitivity, this could benefit the two cameras.
Adjust frame rate and/or resolution. Low speed/Parked = Low frame rate

- Windows Live Viewer
Play the live video like android's but on a Windows tablet

- Information
Possibility for showing a horizontal bar graph or number in the bottom of the video representing
the Acceleration, Braking and lateral G-Force;
GPS Altitude;
Distance/Trip;
Rotation Show rotation, by introducing gear ratio for calculation;
Information in seperated file and possibility to merge with video.
Customize graphs/information/font size,color,... in video

- Lane Warning System
Lane detection

- Advance Park-mode - recording by sensitivity and by time period. This mode records if higer Sensitivity and take
snapshots in certain periods.

- Folders
Organize events with folders and/or select the name to the file recording.
File Example: Prefix = VIDEO
Prefix = "" (empty - allow only the suffix)
Suffix = YYMMDD-HHMMSS_YYMMDD-HHMMSS (starting date-hour and Ending date-hour)
or
Suffix = YYYYMMDD-Numbers (20131027-001)
Folder Example:\Photos - Programed timing to take snapshots of the surronding
\Parked - When Parked
\Photos - Snapshots period timing when parked
\Videos - Videos recorded when higher sensitivity occurs
\Videos - When driving
\Out2013
\Nov2013
\Dec2013
\Jan2013

- Velocity Warning
Warning if selected speed is reached.
Example: 1st warning - shcool/hospitals/low speed locations
2nd warning - highway limits
3rd warning - custom speed

- Wifi settings
Low/High power/brust frequency

And a price of under $1000 hopefully ROFLMAO Its a Dashcam not a video editing suite!!!!!!!

Lol I was going to say wow that's a long list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

except for some of the stuff listed under information which would need an OBDII interface most of that is achievable with an Ambarella platform, the TI platform is a lot more limited in this respect

Last edited:
I am adding to my wants for the new firmware.

apart from the bitrate, which can be done shown by the custom firmware in other forums (still in production I believe)

It would be nice to also have "THE CORRECT TIME" and yes I hope I am shouting loud enough for Pittasoft to hear.

I think that China Korea and Japan etc, should hire at least one full English person to translate the manuals into real English not parrot English. and to hire at least one person to test the things fully to make sure there are not any faults. Quality Control for most items these days stink.

Even laptops. (Microchips counting how many times they have been charged and killing the battery when its actual battery's hold a full charge) tested by me with my wife's dead battery I swapped the Microchips over to a Brand new tested battery and Hey the old one worked and the brand new one said Battery has reached the end of its life.

GPU and Other microprocessors that de solder themselves from the mother board due to inadequate heat sinks, and making a Boot drive on the hard-drive so if the hard-drive fails one year and one day in you have no OS, even if you have created the CD or DVD they still don't work because the original hard drive is not the same or you have upgraded the amount of ram. Yes as a computer technician I have Loads of fun fixing all these things. and am currently trying to restore from the restore DVD but it says Hardware error, (reference relates to memory RAM), even though the DVD tests fine on every bit and byte.

Rant over... LOL thanks.

Last edited:
bitrate I'm not sure they'll offer the kind of improvements you're looking for

they've already acknowledged their working on the time offset problem

chinglish manuals are always a problem

the rest of your post I'm not sure what you're talking about

The fact that something wont boot because of a change of hardware is more a Microsoft problem isn't it as if you change too much Windoze spits its dummy.
As far as component failure causing battery problems is not solely related to Dashcams.

Manufacturing deficiencies are rife everywhere. To wit a certain graphics chip in the past few years that would heat up and die above a certain temperature.
I have a laptop which does this. Take the cover off and blow air over the chip it works fine Intel acknowledge it was a bad batch but that doesnt replace a $400 motherboard

Ranting on here wont get things fixed. PM Pittasoft and it has ALREADY BEEN POSTED that THEY ARE AWARE and trying to fix it.

Maybe it should be perfect but in reality a very small error in code can have huge ramifications that people pick up on and whilst it shouldn't happen it does.

Get over it and wait for them to fix it.

When a new version of anything comes out I prefer to wait and let the tinkerers find the faults. It always works LOL

The Bible of Computing says " The first version of anything is never any good, always wait for the revision." ROFL

Back