warning sticker..

on the one hand: it is good to warn off people.
on the other hand: it's telling all the thieves that this car is worth it (to be stolen or broke in and take the cameras).
i prefer not showing people anything.

Why advertise

I agree, why tell scumbags you have something of value in the car for them
You would probably know a little better then I mollydog since you are closer, but some states here make it a legal requirement to display that you are recording.

If it is not a legal requirement I would not put anything on, If it is since it blends it with the plate and is small it looks good there.

You would probably know a little better then I mollydog since you are closer, but some states here make it a legal requirement to display that you are recording.

If it is not a legal requirement I would not put anything on, If it is since it blends it with the plate and is small it looks good there.
Which states require you to warn people of video taping in public such as a dash cam?

Which states require you to warn people of video taping in public such as a dash cam?

Not sure any do, recording audio is another matter though, some states have a two party law where both parties are meant to know that audio recording is taking place, outside the car is public space and doesn't apply, inside the car is what matters

Why advertise

Having driven with the sticker I can now answer that...

vehicles do move up close behind as they previously did on occasion,

but....

They don't stay there long and back off and I cant remember the last time I was overtaken badly - cars even leave a larger gap stood behind me a junctions and lights ...

I can only conclude the public is aware what cctv is and is behaving accordingly and I m pretty sure you wouldn't get a much better reaction if you stuck a bright red go pro hero facing rearwards on the outside back of your car with a red flashing light on it...

Thus far the benefits out weigh the risks !!!!

you can put a billboard with neon lamps on your ride here in LA and tailgating will be the same..maybe worse!

wont be a one size fits all solution across the world. some places its a good idea, others not so.

Yep here in Queensland, the tailgating capital of Australia they would move right up so they could read that.

Either that or would completely miss it while texting.

Small world, I was just looking into this recently. There are plenty of good websites out there for here:

http://www.vegress.com/can-i-record-calls-in-my-state

It does get a little confusing.

I've often though of having a friend, who works in sign making, cut me up in the smallest of small letters and in clear vinyl something like "warning: Audio and Video recording may be in progress" Not enough for anyone to see unless they were going around reading all the warning stickers on the window already, but enough that I'm covered in the event I pass through a 2 party consent state.

Yep here in Queensland, the tailgating capital of Australia they would move right up so they could read that.

Either that or would completely miss it while texting.
Or even worse: they would tailgate you until they read all the words because most of them probably can only read one letter at a time. :p:D

Small world, I was just looking into this recently. There are plenty of good websites out there for here:

http://www.vegress.com/can-i-record-calls-in-my-state

It does get a little confusing.

I've often though of having a friend, who works in sign making, cut me up in the smallest of small letters and in clear vinyl something like "warning: Audio and Video recording may be in progress" Not enough for anyone to see unless they were going around reading all the warning stickers on the window already, but enough that I'm covered in the event I pass through a 2 party consent state.
I think you will find that the warning has to be easily read and obvious, otherwise why bother?

maybe a sticker or two in the car visible to all passengers once they’ve sat in the vehicle would be a good alternative

Not sure any do, recording audio is another matter though, some states have a two party law where both parties are meant to know that audio recording is taking place, outside the car is public space and doesn't apply, inside the car is what matters
+1

I think you will find that the warning has to be easily read and obvious, otherwise why bother?

One would think, but I don't believe there is a size requirement anywhere. I imagined it to be the size of the alarm warnings and on all the windows; I'd guess it around size 6-8 font. I don't think that I'd ever need it as the term consent in my eyes means verbal or written, but for those walking outside the car it seems sufficient.

One would think, but I don't believe there is a size requirement anywhere. I imagined it to be the size of the alarm warnings and on all the windows; I'd guess it around size 6-8 font. I don't think that I'd ever need it as the term consent in my eyes means verbal or written, but for those walking outside the car it seems sufficient.
+1

Back