Wasn't really looking for a new dashcam... BUT...

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
I loved the wedge form factor of my A118c that I left in my Audi when I sold it and I wish I'd taken it out, but I didn't. So I've been using my original Mio 508 but the suction cup is SO obvious in the front windscreen.

Anyway, long story short I won a nextbase 612gw last weekend, and while it appears to be one of the most advanced dashcams packed with a lot of features, I don't like the form factor, nor the fact its a battery cam, and many of the features I just don't need, so I sold it this evening. In anticipation of me being able to sell it quite easily, I bought the A119 pro off amazon last Thursday for £53 and it'll be here Monday and I can't wait!! I have a brand new Sandisk Extreme 64gb U3 waiting to go in it and I'm looking forward to having a discreet cam again!

I have them both running m8.

If I have to nip out out tomorrow, I might try and pop a 2-view vid of a few seconds driving showing both concurrently. Love my 612GW especially in really good light, the A119Pro, while needing a firmware tweak still, is looking very good especially at that price.

I commented on one of your youtube vids yesterday re audio, as it sounds really quiet, not just the radio but in general

Yeah - I did reply that I don't normally have the audio on.

If I can tomorrow, I'll turn the radio on to normal levels and run the Viofo and post it for you unedited m8.

Paul.

You probably won't need to if I'm honest, but thanks. My cam will be here tomorrow and installed as soon as I get home

Ok bud. Enjoy it :)

Yeah - I did reply that I don't normally have the audio on.

If I can tomorrow, I'll turn the radio on to normal levels and run the Viofo and post it for you unedited m8.

Paul.

As it turns out, the audio is extremely quiet but in all honesty I haven't even looked to see if there's any way to adjust in the settings. I have however left the cam on original V1.0 firmware and it's set at 1080p60 (my preferred format) and it'll get a test run to work and back tomorrow

As it turns out, the audio is extremely quiet but in all honesty I haven't even looked to see if there's any way to adjust in the settings. I have however left the cam on original V1.0 firmware and it's set at 1080p60 (my preferred format) and it'll get a test run to work and back tomorrow
Why 1080p and not higher? File size reasons or performance?

I just prefer how smooth 60fps is, compared to 1440 at 30fps

I'm normally one to say "set the quality to the best possible setting" and have previously actually said "why would you have anything less if better is available" BUT, it's not like the days of 720p where the quality is significantly reduced compared to 1080, and since I have no devices that play anything better than 1080 I'm happy with it.

what I'm not impressed with is the seriously quiet audio, it's almost completely useless!

I'm normally one to say "set the quality to the best possible setting" and have previously actually said "why would you have anything less if better is available" BUT, it's not like the days of 720p where the quality is significantly reduced compared to 1080, and since I have no devices that play anything better than 1080 I'm happy with it.

what I'm not impressed with is the seriously quiet audio, it's almost completely useless!

You are right. 720 to 1080 is a much larger jump then from Full HD to 2K. Now the question is, is 1080 better at capturing licence plates then 1440. And how does 1080 60p perform versus 1440 30p.

And yes, you are not alone. Ian's review from the first post show a huge difference in audio volume between the Pro and V2. Is yours as extreme as that video?

Only the lens and sensor/sensor board is different between the three models, nothing that would cause an audio problem, I'd be inclined to think that there is something else wrong

Only the lens and sensor/sensor board is different between the three models, nothing that would cause an audio problem, I'd be inclined to think that there is something else wrong

That is some good info. Perhaps it is suffering from a similar issue as the Xiaomi Yi camera when it first launched. Many users, including myself, had to take it apart and remove the microphone foam. Audio became perfect after that. Prior to removing the foam, it was very muted.

Could be something as simple as an assembly issue, can happen

That is a good thought. Audio is not that important for most users so that's probably it's not been frequently mentioned.

that's not something that seems to get mentioned, do you have a faulty one maybe?
I'd seen a few clips from @Paul Iddon on youtube and wasn't sure if it was just his edit, as his were also very quiet in relation to reality.

What I may do shortly when I nip out is put my Mio 508 alongside it and do a comparison for audio, a bit of stereo, me farting if time allows, whatever happens along the journey, you'll see (hear) the difference

You are right. 720 to 1080 is a much larger jump then from Full HD to 2K. Now the question is, is 1080 better at capturing licence plates then 1440. And how does 1080 60p perform versus 1440 30p.

And yes, you are not alone. Ian's review from the first post show a huge difference in audio volume between the Pro and V2. Is yours as extreme as that video?
Well the 60fps reduces motion blur compared to 30fps, but I wouldn't exactly say it's "better" because I've not tried 1440 (can't play it back on computer or tv at 1440 it'll downscale to 1080) but 1080 is definitely good enough for plates, Maybe 1440 makes them sharper, but no way does it make 1080 seem pointless in my opinion.

My audio is quiet enough that it makes me think it might not pick up my horn, or a confrontational driver kicking off because they don't use indicators but still expect the world to stop for them

Back