Wasted Money.

It looks like Costco also carries a Chinese knockoff of the blackvue.
https://costco.com/QVIA-T790-1CH-Dash-Camera-.product.100317677.html
Very impressive stat's, especially heat range up to 176°f although the best micro SD card will have likely cooked long before that.
Anyway, I'd never heard of the QVIA manufacturer. Customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be much different than blackvue.

Totally unrelated product. The only thing that Blackvue and Lukas have in common, is that they are massive GPL software licence violators. Both cameras run Linux internally, and other GPL software. Last I checked, Blackvue firmware contained 7-8 such software licence violations.

Update on my failed BlackVue dashcam situation:

BlackVue/Pittasoft FINALLY followed up on my complaints and told me to contact the US-based seller (orderphoneparts@gmail.com) for support. After weeks of ignored emails, I let BlackVue know that their seller is unresponsive to my numerous pleas for help. BlackVue finally instructed me to return the camera system to South Korea for repair or replacement. I have no idea what the postage will cost but I'll send it out today and see if they finally replace my unit after months of complaining. My camera system has essentially been non-functional for several months now, but maybe there is a glimmer of hope for eventually getting a working dashcam. I imaging the round trip to South Korea along with a repair will take some time. I'll probably buy a Chinese knock-off Dashcam in the mean time. Who knows, I might like it better...

..Rev

This is amazing. Warranty is not from a vendor but from manufacturer. If I buy washing machine from Lowes I dont expect Lowes to fix it but the manufacturer. Blackvue should pick up shipping cost.

Actually, in most countries the main legally enforceable warranty is with the retailer, and the length of this will vary depending on country/region. In EU, it is mandatory for the retailer to provide at least a 2 year warranty on all electrical goods.
The manufacturer's warranty is much, much more difficult to enforce, and many manufacturers insist on only dealing with retailers, i.e. you have to send the item back to the retailer, and they have to send it back to the manufacturer.
Long story short, the manufacturer's warranty is only worth as much as the manufacturer's reputation. Given to what extent BlackVue are violating multiple GPL licences in their dashcams, I wouldn't put much faith in their reputation.

Actually, in most countries the main legally enforceable warranty is with the retailer

same here, the USA is rather unique I think in the way the retailers get to palm problems off to the manufacturer and not help customers, they also get things like 90 day warranties etc that would never fly here

This is amazing. Warranty is not from a vendor but from manufacturer. If I buy washing machine from Lowes I dont expect Lowes to fix it but the manufacturer. Blackvue should pick up shipping cost.
should pick up shipping costs versus 'will' pick up shipping are very different things. My experience with shipping overseas is often finding out that you're lucky to ever even have it acknowledged that the recipient got the item.

But its South Korea. Not China. S. Korea and Japan are usually super good about their manufacturing. I never had any problems dealing with Japanese companies. Warranties are honored

Final Update: After approximately 8 months of a non-operational BlackVue DR650S-2 system, I finally got BlackVue to accept responsibility and permit me to ship the camera system back to South Korea for repair. The shipping was a little pricey but better than nothing. I received the camera system back after about a month and it appears to now be working normally (although the wifi is still painfully slow). It's sad I had to go through the constant delays and customer support failures I did, but at least I have a fully functional DashCam system now (I think).

...Rev:p

Michael007 --
"your disagreement is with the vendor you purchased from: OpenSky.com, not Blackvue". Michael007 -- Your response is complete BS! OpenSky.com didn't make the defective dashcam system. BlackVue did. OpenSky.com just sold it to me. Frankly, I don't know many, if any, people who verify a seller is an "approved vendor" before buying a product. That's ridiculous. BlackVue should stand by their products. When I buy a new coffee maker at Wal-Mart, I don't ask them to verify that they are authorized vendors first! They would get a great laugh out of that. As for Korean products, I've never owned a South Korean product that didn't fail early (LG, Samsung, BlackVue, etc). I'll go no-name Chinese next time.

"Blackvue survives, simply because it's the best thing going,"... Now that's depressing. So, none of the 100's of different dashcam models available last longer than 2-weeks and none of the manufacturers provide support. Wow...just wow....

Finally, my product is about 6-months old now. It first started failing at 2-weeks. I've tried multiple times to get support over the last 5 months now.

Brian, I don't know what country you'e in, but here in Australia, we have consumer protection laws that mean the VENDOR is responsible for warranty claims in the first instance, approved seller or not.

Manufacturers and distributors have procedures and regulations in place when they sell to a VENDOR.
Your "contract" in purchasing this device was with the store, not directly from Blackvue. If you are in Australia, the store cannot refuse to assist you with a warranty claim.... cannot demand you deal directly with the manufacturer instead of themselves, and must refund you the full purchase price if the item is proven to be defective.

Brian, I don't know what country you'e in, but here in Australia, we have consumer protection laws that mean the VENDOR is responsible for warranty claims in the first instance, approved seller or not.

Manufacturers and distributors have procedures and regulations in place when they sell to a VENDOR.
Your "contract" in purchasing this device was with the store, not directly from Blackvue. If you are in Australia, the store cannot refuse to assist you with a warranty claim.... cannot demand you deal directly with the manufacturer instead of themselves, and must refund you the full purchase price if the item is proven to be defective.

he's in the USA, they don't have the same consumer protection laws that we enjoy, when you buy from someone there they have no obligation to help you it seems and just refer people to the manufacturers service center, not the greatest system for the consumer

Back