Watch out for flying stuff - recorded in Thailand

in my pre-dash cam days I saw a roof repair company launch a ladder. A little before rush hour and no one got hit. I have my reasons to never taigate. I hear about ladders on the road about four times a year.

You could see the problem coming. They should have kept further away and not got hit.

There is a time and a place to let your load fly, and a highway in not it :)

My favorite episode from before I was cammed up. I was trucking along when a car was merging onto the freeway. I moved over but I couldn't believe what I was seeing! There were four people holding on to a king sized mattress on the roof of the car, by the little handles they used to put on them. One hand from each occupant, including the driver. Well, the force of wind is pretty powerful and as these clowns got up to highway speed and the air got underneath it, one guy lost his grip, another one was almost pulled out of the open window before he let go, and it sailed up and over the car behind them. That's when I knew I needed a dashcam with rear facing side cameras!

Insecure load laws should be enforced on the four-wheeling public. :mad:

My favorite episode from before I was cammed up. I was trucking along when a car was merging onto the freeway. I moved over but I couldn't believe what I was seeing! There were four people holding on to a king sized mattress on the roof of the car, by the little handles they used to put on them. One hand from each occupant, including the driver. Well, the force of wind is pretty powerful and as these clowns got up to highway speed and the air got underneath it, one guy lost his grip, another one was almost pulled out of the open window before he let go, and it sailed up and over the car behind them. That's when I knew I needed a dashcam with rear facing side cameras!

Insecure load laws should be enforced on the four-wheeling public. :mad:
They are enforced. The trick is actually catching them. A guy in front of me had a dining table just sitting in his flat bed trailer - no rope or anything. With every bump it slid further and further back, and so did my following distance. Eventually it fell off and got a high speed sanding as it slid along the roadway. Thankfully it never caught an edge and flipped, it just casually slid into the shoulder. Meanwhile, the state trooper behind us quickly pulled over the driver of that truck.

Near Norfolk, VA, years ago, I saw a 12 foot, aluminum car top boat get launched into the air at 70 mph in holiday traffic, it was on a station wagon, tied to the top.
It went maybe 20-30 feet in the air, then 'stalled' like a badly made paper airplane, and hit the pavement in the middle of speeding traffic. Talk about chaos?

Ladders, sofas, and every summer I can tell it's vacation time because the amount of ice coolers, and RV airconditioning unit plastic covers multiply on the side of the road.
Life jackets, if you are near a large body of water.
:)

Last night I saw a box truck with a built in, extendable ramp, driving around with the ramp extended.
ramp3.jpg

ramp.JPG

ramp2.JPG

It had just exited I-20, in pretty fast and heavy holiday weekend traffic.
I think the ramp didn't slide out until it hit the off ramp, was in when it passed me a few minutes earlier. It's probably a good 'anti-tailgating' device, but I doubt your insurance company would approve.

Back