Watch out - slow-moving tractor

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I was in holiday traffic heading for the coast last weekend. A non-observant motorist and a motorcyclist in a hurry nearly got caught out by this tractor stopping then turning into a field.

A few days ago i ended behind one of those small gardening tractors here in town, so i was sitting there waiting for the right time to overtake.
And when it finally came about i was ready to pass it, but lo and behold the car behind me came flying past the 2 of us at great speed.

Needless to say the car that was behind me was a BMW :rolleyes: and he did not let off the throttle when he passed us so he was soon gone.

Good thing i am careful when pulling out to overtake, you get that way cuz this is not the first time i have experienced it.
People behind seldom get that i drive a little slow car, so i need a bit more room to pass safely, downshifting and flooring it in my little car dont do much for speed :(
But i am used to it as the problem was the same when i drove diesel 4 x 4 cars that's also slow.

he was quite clearly indicating... how is it that cyclist don't think ahead "hmmmm I wonder why all the traffic is going so slow"

he was quite clearly indicating... how is it that cyclist don't think ahead "hmmmm I wonder why all the traffic is going so slow"

Are you certain that having a functioning brain is a requirement to get a driver's license there? I know that it isn't required here, and many people here drive as if they have no brains at all :mad:

Most of what is south of me is rural or semi-rural and we get more than a few crashes every year because of this exact thing,' yet about half the time it is claimed that the farmer didn't bother to look before turning and that coincides with what I've seen personally. You don't meed a license to drive a tractor on the roads here although you are still compelled to obey traffic laws. The thing is that they cannot charge you with minor traffic violations here unless you have (or have had) a license, and some old farmers have never had a drivers license so they're essentially immune to the laws :( They can prosecute major violations- a few years back a drunk farmer caused a fatal crash and he's in jail for voluntary manslaughter- but they hardly bother with anything less. If you see a tractor in SC USA watch out for it because they're not watching out for you :oops:

Phil

Over here at the original legoland we have the lego driving school

I firmly believe that traffic offenders should be forced to drive around there for a day with a dunce hat on

I firmly believe that traffic offenders should be forced to drive around there for a day with a dunce hat on

I think I'd really enjoy that!

You could give them a penalty of an extra hour for each minor driving mistake and an extra day for each major offence :D

Back