Watch recorded mobius video on cell phone in car (after accident)?

AC7880

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm ready to buy a Mobius for use as a dash cam in my car. I have been reading for days and figured out mounting, accessories, etc.

The one thing I have not been able to figure out is that if there is an accident, is there a way to watch the video recording of the accident on my cell phone on the scene (and show it to responding law enforcement).

My smart phone Droid Razr Max is OTG (on the go) USB capable, and I can order the correct OTG cabling. I found the aMCA software where I can do Mobius setup from the smart phone. However, can I put the sd card into a USB Reader, connect via OTG, and display a recorded video?

When you connect to the Mobius via the OTG cable, if the SD card is inserted in the camera, you can browse the files using your phones in built file browser (which can also be launched from the aMCA app).

However, your phone must be capable of playing the file the Mobius produces. It's in .MOV format, but I'm not sure what codecs it uses. I know my Galaxy S3 can't play it. I don't know if there is something you can download from the Play Store (or equivalent) that will allow you to watch them (possibly VLC?)

Thanks. I really want the Mobius if I can play back video of an accident on the scene. If I can't then I may have to buy a dash cam with built in video screen like the Mini 0801 or the PowerUCC Panorama II.

I prefer the smaller size and discreetness of the Mobius, plus I want to mount on dash versus windshield. I'll also be moving the cam between Motor-home and car, so Mobius makes it easy with 2 adhesive mounts and an extra cable.

I also want to be able to rotate the cam towards the driver window if I am ever pulled over by police to record the interaction. That looks easier with the Mobius and impossible with the other 2.

Dan

Did some internet search and there "should" be some android players that will play . rock player lite meridian and mx player lite "might" play .mov on an android device.

Dan

I didn't install any players, the installed playback software on the phone plays the files no problem, I have another android phone which plays them fine also

Thanks for the help. I just ran some tests, and "android video player" and "mx player" both worked for me. Both are free in the app play store.

I think if I order the Mobius and the OTB cable, I "should" be able to play the Mobius .mov on my smart phone Android on the scene of an accident if needed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dan

In case you forget to take OTG cable along into your car, you can take microsd card from mobius, isert into your smart phone ( hot-swap ) and play videos from there, also same time you can copy accident video into your phone memory ( just in case ). OTG or no otg cable, - it's only matter of 10-15sec difference, - this is not a marginal difference as you can see.
Also , myself I carry always in my wallet 2gb microsd card just in case if need to copy file of accident from my phone to that memory card and present to the police, so no need always to remember about otg cable.

...you can take microsd card from mobius, isert into your smart phone ( hot-swap ) and play videos from there...

Does your phone have an external MicroSD slot? Or do you have to remove the phone back cover & the battery & the card, then insert the card from the Mobius? Which is how it works with my phone.

I use MX Player over stock because of the audio. My Galaxy S3 video player doesn't play the sound. Using MX player with the decoder set it the settings! allows me to hear the sound with the video. I also like that it automatically plays the next clip.

Does your phone have an external MicroSD slot? Or do you have to remove the phone back cover & the battery & the card, then insert the card from the Mobius? Which is how it works with my phone.

Galaxy S4 takes about 10-15 sec microsd hot-swap, no need to remove a battery for microsd swap, battery removal only needed for SIM card swap.. Need remove back cover ( 3-5 sec ), from menu chose "unmount external flash" ( 5 sec ), insert new micro-sd 3-5 sec.

ALso I bought this Micro USB Host OTG ALL IN ONE CARD READER, which help me to speed-up copying files without removing mobile phone internal microsd card.

I use MX Player over stock because of the audio. My Galaxy S3 video player doesn't play the sound. Using MX player with the decoder set it the settings! allows me to hear the sound with the video. I also like that it automatically plays the next clip.

MX is also what I use and very happy with it.

Also I bought this Micro USB Host OTG ALL IN ONE CARD READER, which help me to speed-up copying files without removing mobile phone internal microsd card.
Very nice Niko, it works with all cards?

Here's one on my list with great reviews http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html
After rooting my phone, which is super easy and highly recommended (deleted 100 bloatware apps, doubled my battery life and freed 200MB of Ram) I got tired of taking the back off, removing the battery and resetting.

After rooting my phone, which is super easy and highly recommended (deleted 100 bloatware apps, doubled my battery life and freed 200MB of Ram) I got tired of taking the back off, removing the battery and resetting.

I havnt tried all cards but I believe it should work.

In the words of Peter Sellers from his movie, "The Party"
... "I thank you from the bottom of my bottom"

Great to see that device is compatible to my HTC One (M7) seeing it does not have a SD card slot. The just released HTC One (M8) does! :rolleyes:

A handy tool to have with you even if you just want to show someone some video you have over a coffee and hopefully not solely at an accident scene. :cool: LOL More so of the F wit that cut you off as you where driving to have this coffee. ;)

Edit: SOLD to me after watching the video in this article...
http://phandroid.com/2013/10/21/meenova-micro-sd-card-reader-for-android-review/
Especially as it showed my HTC One (M7) cell/mobile phone being used in the demo.
Ordering one today. :)

Edit No.2: MAYBE NOT! I just found this one I had bookmarked late last year and had forgotten about...
Micro SD TF T-Flash OTG Host USB Card Reader Adapter for HTC One Mini m4 One m7

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400572571751

AU$6.99 delivered

;) I can wait US$2.99 delivered...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271310093798
Just ordered the above @ AU$3.35 delivered. :cool:

Last edited:
Back