Way to determine TRUE mexapixels that camera makes?

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Okay, that was a bit wierd title for the topic :)

But I was wondering, does anyone here know way(s) to determine the true quality of image (in megapixels) that dash or action cameras produce.

Obviously this is possible by inspecting hardware, but if a camera does not have proper specs, how can I know if its making 20 megapixels images or 5 megapixels one as on my PC it says 20, but its obviously not :)

I hope someone will understand what I am asking and know the answer to the question :p

if it has a 5mp native resolution sensor anything above that is going to be interpolated, look up the data sheet of the sensor is a good starting point

Well thanks @jokiin I understand that. But lets say that camera has no official specs, or that they are faked. How can I test the camera photo? Is there any other way, a software perhaps?

To be more specific, I am trying to figure out the how much true MP Amkov 5000S makes.
For image sensor they claim : 20MP CMOS sensor.

Need to inspect raw / original file properties to find a true value of pixels and other data recorded.

@niko Do you mean RAW as a file format or? Because I am sure most of the a.cams wont export as RAW.

Last edited:
Well thanks @jokiin I understand that. But lets say that camera has no official specs, or that they are faked. .

I would say if there are no official specs available that it's not a good product

sometimes you need to poke through firmware to find real details, try as they might they can't hide it, (DOD know all about that), is it worth the effort on generic product though

Oh crap.. I thought there might be an easier way. Well you know that all a.cam brands do this, sjcam, sooco, amkov... But for others it was easy to know by quickly checking image sensor. With Amov there is no info on image sensor.
I uploaded the unprocessed image on DropBox in case someone knows a way to inspect this. (no worries its not a nude image of me, its just an image of a park!)

Oh crap.. I thought there might be an easier way. Well you know that all a.cam brands do this, sjcam, sooco, amkov... But for others it was easy to know by quickly checking image sensor. With Amov there is no info on image sensor.
I uploaded the unprocessed image on DropBox in case someone knows a way to inspect this. (no worries its not a nude image of me, its just an image of a park!)

not sure what camera you have but it's based on a Sunplus chipset, not something I work with but most chipsets have a very limited number of image sensors that they support in their SDK's

@niko Do you mean RAW as a file format or? Because I am sure most of the a.cams wont export as RAW.
For me,excepts to look at the sensor model number,I also will use the dash camera to make a photo.
Downloaded in the computer and open the photo with Photoshop,then it will show pixels in width and length like my attached circuled datas,
Then multiply the data: such as 4608X3456Pixels=159,252,248pixels=around 16MP pixels.
If it is close to the MP as described in the spec,then it shall be genuine,if not,then fake

Attachments

• QQ截图20150527201916.jpg
    QQ截图20150527201916.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 8
that shows the resolution of the photo but you can't see if it's native resolution or interpolated resolution

that shows the resolution of the photo but you can't see if it's native resolution or interpolated resolution
Yes,it is indeed too easily to modify the interpolated resolution via software,so also need to look at the sensor model number also,need to combine both aspects to take into account

Yes,it is indeed too easily to modify the interpolated resolution via software,so also need to look at the sensor model number also,need to combine both aspects to take into account

best to know the sensor number, if someone wants to claim 20mp but don't want to offer details of what sensor they use then you have to wonder what they want to hide ;)

Thank you for the tips guys.
So, I wanted to know this because of the AMKOV camera I have. Here is a link to product for instance Any ideas about photo MP? Also here is a sample image.
I would not be bothered with this that much, but I am doing a review of this particular product, and I just want to be able to present right piece of information.
Also there are other cameras in future that will certainly use this sort of trick, so I just want to know how to present correct info.
Chipset seams to be Sunplus 6330M, but no further info on it online :(

best to know the sensor number, if someone wants to claim 20mp but don't want to offer details of what sensor they use then you have to wonder what they want to hide ;)
Hide means cheat means dishonest.
Some suppliers may hide which chip they use,they show 1920*1080P,30FPS,but do not tell you that is SIT or Novatek or Ambarella chipset

Okay so its Sunplus 6330M Chipset. Anyone knows anything about it?

Okay so its Sunplus 6330M Chipset. Anyone knows anything about it?
Sunplus video quality is not too good,but way too cheap, I had experience of the video quality before,too poor,but for myself,if I know it is Sunplus,I would not buy,even this chip could also support 1920X1080P,60fps and could even support wifi

Go to file folder on your PC, right click on video file icon, from there select "properties". U get video data.

Well I am not asking about video quality or anything, just photo megapixels :) I do not think its as bad as you describe it, but I yet have to test it for few days. For now I just hope someone can help me with photography and megapixels.

I tried on manufacturers website as well, but was unable to find out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Action Camera Discussion 44
Back