Way to have my camera sense ignition coming on?

PinstripesNY

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a relatively new dash cam and I have a small issue I can't find an answer to. My truck's cigarette plugs are powered all the time. The problem I have is that the camera has the option to turn on automatically, but only when it senses power coming on. That's not happening since it's live all the time. As such I have to manually turn the camera on each time and honestly, I forget.
Is there any type of plug-in adapter that will somehow sense the power change when the truck turns on?
I've seen some other discussions but they are the opposite of the problem I have.

What you are saying doesn't make sense. What do you mean "it's live all the time"?

Your truck's cig plugs are powered (on) all the time. If you are manually turning on the camera then there is something wrong. Normal dash cam should automatically powered on when it detects power (or a setting like yours). If it's not turning on automatically then your cig isn't powered (on) or the dash cam isn't working properly.

You don't need a plug-in adapter that sense the power change. The power is either on or off. If the camera is working then it should be on and record.

What you are saying doesn't make sense. What do you mean "it's live all the time"?

Your truck's cig plugs are powered (on) all the time. If you are manually turning on the camera then there is something wrong. Normal dash cam should automatically powered on when it detects power (or a setting like yours). If it's not turning on automatically then your cig isn't powered (on) or the dash cam isn't working properly.

You don't need a plug-in adapter that sense the power change. The power is either on or off. If the camera is working then it should be on and record.
Some cars or trucks have the cig. plugs on all the times not just when the engine is running...

The plugs are powered all the time. So turning on the truck does not cause the camera to sense a change and therefore it won't turn on. I'm seeing if there's any way to get a cigarette plug that senses the power turning on and maybe changing the power level, which would cause the camera to turn on.

So I have a relatively new dash cam and I have a small issue I can't find an answer to. My truck's cigarette plugs are powered all the time. The problem I have is that the camera has the option to turn on automatically, but only when it senses power coming on. That's not happening since it's live all the time. As such I have to manually turn the camera on each time and honestly, I forget.
Is there any type of plug-in adapter that will somehow sense the power change when the truck turns on?
I've seen some other discussions but they are the opposite of the problem I have.
I would find a fuse that is on only when the key is in accessory or on position.

Okay, but doing that means the power will only be on with the ignition correct? I can probably live with that but currently the camera continues to record for several minutes after I turn the truck off.

Some cars or trucks have the cig. plugs on all the times not just when the engine is running...

I understand but if the car is providing the cam power then it should be on 24/7. This is not the case here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, but doing that means the power will only be on with the ignition correct? I can probably live with that but currently the camera continues to record for several minutes after I turn the truck off.
I thought that's what you were looking to do, have the the camera turn on and off with the ignition.

What camera do you have?

I don't know of any 12v plugs that will detect voltage and automatically turn off/on the camera. the only solution I know of is a battery discharge prevention device like a multi-safer or vicovation power plus unit. these allow you to either automatically turn off the camera when your battery drops to a specified voltage or a programmed timer. they will always turn your camera on the next time you turn on your ignition. the wiring is slightly more complex because you will have to connect to ground/always on/ignition.

I heard some times you can have the feature reprogrammed at the dealer so the plug are only live when car is, but i also understand this is far from all times this route are possible.

Both our Chevy's have always energized DC power outlets (funny how a cigarette lighter became the vehicle DC power standard). If I were to use them, the dashcam would continue to record with or without the engine running and overwrite the oldest file until the battery run-down protection interrupted power several days or weeks later.

I'm sure the disposition of the DC power outlet varies greatly between makes and models. For example, after removing the key, my '12 Chevy maintains power to the windows until the door is opened. Its dome lights are even more sophisticated.

Through trial and error and then checking the owner's manual I found an appropriate fuse energized with key turn and piggybacked on the circuit with an add-a-fuse and loose DC outlet under the dash. I used the provided power cable secured with nylon wire ties and easily hid the cable behind door gaskets, mouldings and headliner to the dashcam.

Upon turning the engine off, which interrupts power, my dashcam uses the energy stored in its small integral battery/capacitor to close-out files and perform an orderly shutdown. I recall an earlier unit with menu setting to record for three minutes after power loss.

I hope this helps.

You could use something like the Power Magic Pro.. https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/ Wire the ACC connection to a circuit that does only turn on with the ACC (like your radio) and the always on power from your cigarette lighter circuit. Various settings on the PMP would also save your main battery from running down to the point of not being able to start your truck or have it run for a set period of time.

Two choices:

1. Hard wire your camera to a fuse/circuit that's energized when the engine is running (or in accessory mode). You can use an add-a-fuse for a tidy installation.
2. Rewire your accessory outlet connecting it to a circuit that, as above, is energized only when the key is on.

#1 is the simpler option and has the side benefit of being able to hide all the wiring.

Cheers!

Back